Author Topic: Bag drop - What do you pack?  (Read 2332 times)

Bag drop - What do you pack?
« on: 24 June, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
I'm doing an Audax next weekend (Pendle 600) that has a bag drop at the 400 mark and this got me thinking... what should I pack in the bag?  What items do you suggest would be good to have in the bag?  Change of gear?  battery charger?  tools/spares?

btw - no size limit was given but I assume bag size is more shoulder bag/day pack rather than suitcase!

Matt

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Bag drop - What do you pack?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2017, 12:55:33 am »
Spare socks, maybe a spare pair of shorts and jersey if the forecast is wet. I'd put a couple of energy drink sachets maybe chamois creme, spare inner tubes in case you've used any on the first day.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2017, 03:13:21 pm »
Socks, gloves, shorts.

If there are washing facilities; towell and shower gel.
If you can gain access to a socket; charger.
Chamois cream  if you use it.
Maybe rainjacket/or ls jersey/ss Jersey if weather likely to change between days.
Sun cream!

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
Full change of kit for me. Can't stand the thought of a 600 in the same kit, just disgusting.
Spare jacket/gloves/socks in case it's been pissing down
Towel, shower gel, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant
Spare tube or 2, any chargers. Couple snacks for next day
I have ahem, also been known to put my onesie in one to grab a few hours sleep in 😂😂

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2017, 03:39:41 pm »
I packed a full set of clean gear, showering stuff and a power pack for charging my Garminometer on the second day.

You should carry your tools with you and if running disc brakes, a spare pair of front pads. I took my sleeping stuff with me on the first day and slept at Hexam. Theres a nice 5* audax hotel about 5km after the Pizza place on the way up to the moors.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2017, 05:20:12 pm »
Thanks all, that's helped me a lot.  If available a shower would be great!

btw: Is this the hotel you mentioned Aunty Maud - https://goo.gl/maps/ftY55Ujt7BD2

Ta,
Matt

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:16:31 pm »
'Tis, it's a beauty.

I like to bump along on the time limit on the morning of the second day, and make up time, as the average speed drops off after 400. I finished with a handsome 10 minutes to spare and didn't think it was too harsh a ride, considering.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:19:05 pm »
Consider dental hygiene toothbrush/paste/floss/mouthwash.

As others have posted anything/everything to keep your saddle contact area clean, fresh and happy.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:23:40 pm »
Don't forget also that you'll have done the overnight leg by then so you might want to leave some room to leave the colder weather kit if you no longer need it.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:08:12 pm »
On my last 600 (Welsh 600) I carried a travel toothbrush and toothpaste, a change of shorts, vest and socks, as well as the usual.  I didn't feel that I needed a drop-bag.

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:21:04 pm »
Chain lube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk