Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2024 - Hertfordshire Team Recruitment  (Read 1077 times)

Easter Arrow 2024 - Hertfordshire Team Recruitment
« on: 18 December, 2023, 03:35:59 pm »
I’m looking to recruit some team members for an Easter Arrow starting from Stevenage, Hertfordshire.  Good Friday is 29th March 2024.  I’m looking at a minimal distance route, likely 370-380km actual ridden. If anyone wants 4 or 5 points they can ECE.

The plan is an old town start around 9am.  There’s a Wetherspoons which opens at 8am for a pre ride team breakfast to get us fuelled up for the first leg. On the East coast mainline, 20 / 30 mins from Kings Cross / St Pancras, for anyone interested who is in London.

The first 160km is likely a variation on the route of my perm Rutland Explorer 300.  Then we’ll enter flatter terrain as we head into the night.  It won’t be a day time bash up through the fens.

In terms of pacing, this won’t be a racing snake outing.  Thus if you are more at the full value end (average moving 20-22 km/h) this may be Arrow for you. My view as an Arrow captain is to try and get the full team to finish. Everyone will have a low at some point, and we stick together as a team, helping those struggling, to get through it. We don’t abandon you at the side of the road, with the words “survival of the fittest, loser”.  If you really do need to abandon and tell us to f*ck off, we will at least try and leave you near a hotel or railway station.

I love the team aspect of Arrows and meeting all the other teams either on the road, or at the finish. Team sizes are 3 to 5 machines. You have 24hrs to reach York, and given the distances I’m planning it’ll mean overall average of 15.4 to 15.8 km/h.

All team members will get GPS routes / courses / tracks prepared to the usual standards for my events.  I won’t keep it secret squirrel 🐿️ just for me.

If interested in joining Team Hertfordshire then let me know.  All the organisation, Route planning, control setting and entry is done by the team Captain (me).  I usually share updates and draft routes in the build up.  You just need to pay your share of the entry fee and turn up and ride together as a team.

If, optimistically we get more than 5 then happy to share routing and controls with a second person willing to lead (captain) a team. Then do staggered team starts in terms of time.

Re: Easter Arrow 2024 - Hertfordshire Team Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2023, 08:40:49 pm »
Thanks for expressions of interest so far. Potentially have enough for team of five, but don’t let that stop others showing interest.   I won’t be trying to firm up commitments till sometime in the new year.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2023, 10:06:07 pm »
If you are oversubscribed, we also had two Hertfordshire teams ride from St Albans this year, planning something similar next year, so can likely take a couple more participants
Nominally a 400km and a 500km option, riding under the auspices of VCC.

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2024, 06:05:12 pm »
Team recruited, route outline planned out, and entry now submitted.  We are team Aero Pirates. Why? Because we arrrrrr!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2024, 06:31:34 pm »
Oh Rrrrrrr but a bit early for talk like a pirate day

We currently have 3 teams planning to depart from St Albans at a range of speeds & distances, and some spaces free, so if anyone is looking for a team easy access from central / north London give me a PM