Author Topic: [HAMR] March 6th  (Read 7352 times)

Re: March 6th
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »
Picking up from yesterday's conversation, I don't think we'll see a step change in distances travelled, more the fact that as the ratio of warm days to cold days improves and the days get longer so he has less time riding in the dark, his speed will pick up.  If I recall rightly, he based his average speed estimates on his 400 AUK points year, so I guess that he'll play it by ear.  Although its supposed to be warm at the weekend, its been as cold this week as pretty much any other week this year.
Playing devils advocate, will he speed up?
Looking back at big rides Steve has done in 2014 on Strava the average speeds are all under the 15mph range.
I worry for Steve that using his current unsupported methods there are not enough hours in the day for continuous monster miles.
meh

Here's how I see it:  As weather picks up, Steve will need less clothing, less care. Judging by comments he's made to hosts, there is an hour to be gained with this reduced faffage. That's 15miles pd right there.

Steve is a different sort of rider to Kurt. Not speedy, but a very proven ability to sustain long days on very little rest. As the days get longer, Steve will sleep less, speed might not go up, but he'll ride for 2-3hrs more per day. That's 30-45miles extra.

So those two little changes add up to 45-60miles more per day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »

Steve is a different sort of rider to Kurt. Not speedy, but a very proven ability to sustain long days on very little rest. As the days get longer, Steve will sleep less, speed might not go up, but he'll ride for 2-3hrs more per day. That's 30-45miles extra.

There's only so long that you can skimp on sleep.  Just now he's out around 15 hours/day, 2-3 hours on top of that means just 6 or 7 hours daily recovery time.  Knock out an hour of that for showering, eating, getting up & eating again and he's down to 5 or 6.  That's going to be very difficult to handle once the lost hours start mounting up.

Solves one mystery, though: we know what he's going to do come 1st Jan 2016: sleep for a week.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2015, 04:52:13 pm »
Unless he feels the urge to tackle the 100 000 mile record  :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:16:55 pm »
Towie

That would be a long ride: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=343500&Y=812500&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1

Brilliant - got to organise be an Essex - Towie - Essex Audax!

Awesome idea! That's got to be a solid 600 miles all the way up there...

Dez suggests including Swansea to make a Grand Triangle. Abertawe, geddit? (OK, I know neither the spelling nor punctuation works but...)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:21:48 pm »
It's looking like another big day today.  Go Steve!

« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »
It's looking like another big day today.  Go Steve!

He's only about 10 miles from where he's staying tonight! I assume he'll be putting in a bit of a loop though....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:25:05 pm »
Unless he feels the urge to tackle the 100 000 mile record  :P

The same thought crossed my mind  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »
He's just taken a turn off towards Great Bardfield. What time does the Blue Egg shut? And will Mark Cavendish be there?

« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:36:07 pm »
He will surely pick up speed. Brighter early mornings, not too cold, empty roads. Time to fly. Smaller rack pack, less stuff to faff with. My winter commutes are always slower than summer ones

« Reply #35 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:39:58 pm »
He's just taken a turn off towards Great Bardfield. What time does the Blue Egg shut? And will Mark Cavendish be there?

That's a thought. If Steve drafts behind Cav that'll lift his speed. Although it's likely Cav will bring him down when they sprint for the finish line.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »
He's missed the Blue Egg and is now doing a partial Nud-nur down the B1057. I'd like to see him to notch up at least another 20 miles today because the conditions have been perfect and it's just a great opportunity to get a day above the annual asking rate. Besides, it's not properly dark yet!

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:55:57 pm »

There's only so long that you can skimp on sleep.  Just now he's out around 15 hours/day, 2-3 hours on top of that means just 6 or 7 hours daily recovery time.  Knock out an hour of that for showering, eating, getting up & eating again and he's down to 5 or 6.  That's going to be very difficult to handle once the lost hours start mounting up.

My thoughts exactly, there's no doubt Steve can do some amazing distances on little sleep, that's proven.
But 3 months worth is tough on the body and mind. Recovery gets tough after 40, long term sleep deprivation can't be a good part of the plan. I know several riders who have just ridden until they fall off, asleep! One bad fall could be game over.

« Reply #38 on: 06 March, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
i don't get the hour plus of faffage in the morning, it takes me 5 minutes to put on my winter gear and be out the door,

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 06 March, 2015, 06:43:34 pm »

(may include traces of Marsh Gibbons)

;D

H

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #40 on: 06 March, 2015, 06:53:47 pm »
Ay up Francis!  Haven't seen you round here for a while :D

Hi TJ

I only emerge in the spring :)
It's fun to follow teethgrinder even though I'm not putting in many miles myself.
So used to facebook I keep trying to like people's posts on yacf...  ::-)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »
Towie

That would be a long ride: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=343500&Y=812500&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1

Brilliant - got to organise be an Essex - Towie - Essex Audax!

Awesome idea! That's got to be a solid 600 miles all the way up there...

You've gone and said it now  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »
i don't get the hour plus of faffage in the morning, it takes me 5 minutes to put on my winter gear and be out the door,

Several sets of lights, 4(3?) tracking devices, phone, etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:13:46 pm »

I'd faff if I had the prospect of 200 miles in front of me.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »

That's a thought. If Steve drafts behind Cav that'll lift his speed. Although it's likely Cav will bring him down when they sprint for the finish line.

;D  That would be an unmitigated disaster probably ending the season for the both of them! Seem to recall Steve is now a bit cautious about riding with others after his host came off ( badly ) & Steve also hit the deck trying to avoid him on the ice early on this year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #45 on: 06 March, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »
Oooh! Now he's going down the old A130. Take a left turn towards Felsted and he could drop in on the Compasses for a quick huffer. Shame he's not allowed an ale because everything in there is gravity drawn.

Edit: tracker says 178.36.  :thumbsup:

And now, 186.87. That must be very close to the target.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »
196.7 miles.

Good work, Steve!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #47 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »

Not just the morning: an hour composed of eating, showering and getting to bed at night, plus getting up, putting kit on & having breakfast next day.

Last pic I saw he still seemed to be shaving. He could save 5 minutes right there. I stand close to a beard-trimmer for 5 minutes once every 2 weeks.  That's over an hour's riding time more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »
Last pic I saw he still seemed to be shaving. He could save 5 minutes right there. I stand close to a beard-trimmer for 5 minutes once every 2 weeks.  That's over an hour's riding time more.

Yeah, but you've got to allow for the aerodynamic effect of the beard.  He's not going to beat this record by wowbagging.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 06 March, 2015, 11:15:47 pm »
Are you implying that the drag, if you'll pardon the expression, of the beard slows me down more than the aerobelly speeds me up?