Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 77342 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #50 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:08:46 am »
Did he make that chainring himself? In his own forge? Using bellows, hammer and anvil?

If so, he must be Miles "Black" Smith.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
Miles "to go before I sleep" Smith.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
;D
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #53 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:16:10 am »
Are we sure he is not a midget and that is a normal chainring on a very small bike?

« Reply #54 on: 19 March, 2015, 10:17:21 am »
Are we sure he is not a midget and that is a normal chainring on a very small bike?

Is it far away?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #55 on: 20 March, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
This weekend Miles is one of 25 riding the Geelong Flyer 1000.  He's not carrying a tracker but you can follow a number of the riders at http://audax.org.au/tracker/#description or here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=812751642093335&id=282941611741010
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #56 on: 21 March, 2015, 11:04:51 am »
How about 'Kneegrinder'...?

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #57 on: 22 March, 2015, 08:29:20 am »

« Reply #58 on: 22 March, 2015, 11:32:47 pm »
Just like to point out that the only person to hold the year record twice was also from Victoria, Ossie Nicholson.

He got it by cycling Melbourne to Portsea and back every day for a year, and won it again by doing that twice a day for at least part of the year.

I hope Miles chooses a more interesting approach.

« Reply #59 on: 23 March, 2015, 06:40:10 am »
Just like to point out that the only person to hold the year record twice was also from Victoria, Ossie Nicholson.

He got it by cycling Melbourne to Portsea and back every day for a year, and won it again by doing that twice a day for at least part of the year.

I hope Miles chooses a more interesting approach.

Linky no worky. :(

« Reply #60 on: 23 March, 2015, 08:56:57 am »
Linky no worky. :(

Fixed. It's just a google maps link anyway, but it works now.

Melbourne to Portsea

« Reply #61 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:17:37 am »

paul851

« Reply #62 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:30:45 am »
Ironically Miles Smith has in all likely hood just about finished the Geelong flyer 1000 today that finishes roughly 40 km from Portsea .

« Reply #63 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:20:45 am »
More information about Miles from 'Gassy' on the Australian forum.

Very Interesting.. I know Miles fairly well. Another crazy pom, ( albeit an expat living here is Aus ). He's a nice guy, and somewhat crazy, probably has the potential though.

He's just finished the Adelaide to Geelong 1000k Audax ride this week. Last week he did over 500k in 24hrs during the Opperman.( Bairnsdale to Rochester via Hotham) He seems to be able to keep cranking out the kms okay. He works a permanent nightshift somewhere in the city- Maybe he gets to nod off a bit ??

We both rode our first 600k audax ride out of Bairnsdale only 2 years ago. The bug seems to have bitten him though, I think he did nearly all the 1000/1200 k audax rides in Australia last year ( 5 or 6??) Not sure what sort of annual mileage he cranks out though as he's not on Strava.

On the last audax ride I did (600k great ocean road end of feb) he rode from home ( Mornington area) to city for work, worked his night shift, then rode down to Geelong, did the 600 and had plans to ride back to Warragul afterwards so he could do a 2 day 100/100 Baw Baw ride.

He's recently joined my bike club out at Croydon. He's been riding from his home into the city, then out to Croydon, doing the club ride ( around 100k) then riding home. (250ish) I will suss out his plans and intentions when I see him next, possibly Sunday. I would guess he will have to start logging onto strava or something. He can most easily be recognized while riding because of his front chain ring which is the size of a dinner plate

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:26:28 am »
I hereby appoint Nuncio as YACF's ambassador to the United Nations.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #65 on: 25 March, 2015, 11:46:29 am »
I think the Pope got there first.
Not especially helpful or mature

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #66 on: 25 March, 2015, 12:28:51 pm »
I think the Pope got there first.

Francis, or one of the two Theodore IIs? (disambiguation)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #67 on: 25 March, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »
It will interesting to see what bikes he'll be using for the challenge. That big ring is hardly a standard item.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #68 on: 25 March, 2015, 05:40:01 pm »
Francis, or one of the two Theodore IIs? (disambiguation)
The Pope of Rome. Neither of the others appoints apostolic nuncios, as far as I can wholly see (geddit?). Though they do receive the nuncios that Francis sends them.
Not especially helpful or mature

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 25 March, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »
So he rides in Croydon.

I think Tarzan still gets the best place names to ride through.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #70 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:13:53 pm »
Not THE best, though.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #71 on: 31 March, 2015, 09:11:19 am »
I'm looking forward to the 11th, the challenge has been a bit flat these last two days.  No disrespect to Kurt intended, he's proven himself a gent and I shall be following and wishing him well the rest of the year.  All the same a bit of competition, even though it isn't, adds something.

Can I suggest that when Miles gets going rather than using this thread and growing it to umpty zillion posts we have a thread per day like Steve?  IMHO the format used for Steve works better than that in progress for Kurt.  It went down well and stuck when Vince added the day number to the date on Steve's daily progress thread title.  A logical extension of that would be:
April 11 - Miles Smith - Day 1.
etc.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #72 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:58:32 am »
Agreed, that sounds good.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #73 on: 31 March, 2015, 01:51:47 pm »
Is there any way of putting the or a Kurt thread under the same format post april 11 so that we can get back to following each rider's mileage each day? The timezone difference might make it a bit difficult to say which one is on which day compared to us but it would make following the whole thing much easier and more interesting than just watching the spreadsheet. The Tarzan thread seems to have got a bit out of hand recently.

red marley

« Reply #74 on: 06 April, 2015, 06:52:06 pm »
Does anyone have Miles's contact details or his Strava name (can't find anything obvious through searching)? I'd like to be able to add him to the OYTT visualization when he starts next week, but I'll have trouble without access to his tracks on Strava.