Author Topic: A Pair of Kirtons  (Read 40324 times)

Re: A Pair of Kirtons
« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »
The rave near Colsterworth has gone now and the A1 flyover open :thumbsup:

« Reply #51 on: 25 May, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »
Having just DNF'd the BCM the sight of a mere one major hill on this is certainly appealing  ;D

Ah.  I would suggest you leave something in the tank for the bit after Uttoxeter.  There is a succession of rises, small by BCM standards, but they were doing my head in on Sunday.  You seem to climb forever, then there is a steep drop and then you have to climb it all over again.  Just keep plodding along and the job gets done.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #52 on: 25 May, 2015, 09:51:28 pm »
Oh I'll be alright, I've done the BCM before - the climbing did get to me this year but after 900 hilly km just this month it was a step to far I think.

Looking at the climbing figure it'll be as flat a ride as I've ever done, maybe, I guess Two Battles isn't hilly and in 2013 I 'won' that.  The defining - and ride completing factor for me this year seems to be seeking new worlds and new destinations, to boldy cycle, where no Caerau has cycled before  ;D  Looking forward to it :)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:09:50 pm »
Oh I'll be alright, I've done the BCM before - the climbing did get to me this year but after 900 hilly km just this month it was a step to far I think.

Looking at the climbing figure it'll be as flat a ride as I've ever done, maybe, I guess Two Battles isn't hilly and in 2013 I 'won' that.  The defining - and ride completing factor for me this year seems to be seeking new worlds and new destinations, to boldy cycle, where no Caerau has cycled before  ;D  Looking forward to it :)

Have you ever ridden in Fenland?

You've seen Deliverance, right?

Saturday, on The Flatlands 600, somewhere in The Cabbage Stores1, we were close-passed (some might say, "punishment passed") by a moton.

fboab: "Oh FFS!"
Me: "His sixth finger probably got caught in the steering wheel..."

---------------
1Lincolnshire

caerau

« Reply #54 on: 26 May, 2015, 07:41:22 am »
I grew up in East Anglia-ish (Bedford) - I am familiar with that end of the country  :thumbsup:

« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:32:04 am »
....... Bedford

As I'm sure Chis S will agree, a galaxy away from the Fenlands!

caerau

« Reply #56 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:35:56 am »
Yes I know, but we got taken on many school trips out there and I've holidayed out there too.  They loved taking us to rural Nooorfaalk and Cambridgeshire in my young days.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #57 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:07:51 am »
Is the May 15 Ride-with-GPS track the most current?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7903669

I'm going to start my GPS prep.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #58 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:46:28 pm »
Mike rode it last weekend 24th May so expect a few tweaks this week

The GPX file won't change.  There will be some tweaks to the route sheet, but mainly adding some café suggestions.  There will also be an additional "not" thanks to sharp-eyed proof reader John Jackson.

"Please ensure you are thoroughly rested before driving home; the police, your insurers, and Audax UK will not take kindly if you are involved in an incident while driving without sufficient sleep, even if it’s not your fault."

« Reply #59 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:49:33 pm »
Just catching up on this thread; I'm rather disappointed there is now no longer to be a rave en route  >:(

I could have brought my Saturday Night Fever LP...

Edit: stupid typo. "not no longer" should be "now no longer"
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #60 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:27:38 pm »
Just catching up on this thread; I'm rather disappointed there is not no longer to be a rave en route  >:(

Hmmmm, the thought of you in your 'disco' kit riding the Pashley into a rave; now that is fun!

« Reply #61 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:42:25 pm »
Just catching up on this thread; I'm rather disappointed there is not no longer to be a rave en route  >:(

Who is to say there won't be?  The police didn't know this one was going to happen so you just never know.

But this has just reminded me of my very first 600, the South and North 600 in 2002 when we got caught up in a traffic jam of people attending a concert in Belvoir Castle by some bloke from Houghton Wheelers.  You might be interested to know that he gave his old cycling club a gold disc which they still award as the "Bryan Ferry Award", see http://houghtoncc.com/hall-of-fame/

« Reply #62 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:43:51 pm »
In case anyone hadn't noticed and they want something to do on the weekend of 6th-7th June, but the Pair of Kirtons is still open for entries.

caerau

« Reply #63 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:03:11 am »

You should have done the BCM, you missed a right rave halfway up Pen y pas  ;D :P

« Reply #64 on: 28 May, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »
I have now updated the route sheet at www.DelphCyclist.info/Kirtons.html, click on Route Sheet (updated).  There is also a slight correction to the GPX files (thanks John Jackson) to remove a couple of trivial quirks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #65 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:35:30 am »
Don't forget to wave to all the nice Man United and Man City players on the final 15km through Alderley Edge and Dean Row.

You can also wave to some of my old houses on the first 10km (as it passes through less salubrious areas I used to live in).

Headwinds permitting I'm hoping to get to Corby Glen just before midnight for a drink and some food then head to the Travelodge down the road.
In all my years of Audaxing I've never been fast enough to sleep during the "grim hours" between 1am and 5am. This could be my one chance to turn a 600 into 2 day-rides.
(It's my own fault, I always did the BCM600 so it was always getting light again by the time I'd slogged my way to Kings YHA).

Setting off from my old stomping ground will feel strange, as will the first 10km along "local" roads.

I've ridden through Cheshire to Stockport several times so I know the lay of the (benign) land around there.

Gentle Northerly on Saturday turning to a gentle Southerly on Sunday please, and 20degC would be nice.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #66 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:37:24 am »
OK, Lee, I'll see if my wife can arrange it.

« Reply #67 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:49:13 am »
You can also wave to some of my old houses on the first 10km (as it passes through less salubrious areas I used to live in).

Sadly we don't *quite* pass the house I lived in until I was 4: if you see me take a small diversion between about km 26 and 27, you'll know what I'm going to look at.

« Reply #68 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »
While updating the route sheet I was reminded that there are more sets of traffic lights encountered in that first section than there are contour lines in sections 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

« Reply #69 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:43:10 pm »
...and that's a bad thing?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #70 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »
...and that's a bad thing?
I am curious...Is it true that light are programmed to turn green when they sense a Pashley approaching?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #71 on: 30 May, 2015, 12:22:07 am »
At the risk of prosecution under the Official Secrets Act 1989 I shall say only that Traffic Lights were synchronised to the UK Early Warning System...  8)

« Reply #72 on: 30 May, 2015, 07:47:53 am »
I've been asked if the riders will be able to use the power at Corby Glen.

The best answer is "no".  I won't see the layout of the hall until the day itself, so can't guarantee anything.  I might need all the available sockets for my kettles and toasters anyway, and I'll unplug anything that might be in my way.  I'd also be wary of the security of your gadgets as I can't keep an eye on them for you.

I suppose this goes for the Poynton Friday night hall too.

This is still an x-rated event despite the nap-stop, so you should plan accordingly.  Similarly there is to be no luggage storage at the start/finish nor a bag drop.  Would-be PBP riders will appreciate rising to these logistics challenges.

caerau

« Reply #73 on: 30 May, 2015, 10:14:52 am »
I'm quite concerned about my ability to get to the church hall at the start at a reasonable hour.

I have a train booked that should arrive in Macclesfield at 10.10 pm which gives me plenty of time to get there before the lights out.

However this rail strike is due to end only 1 hr 45 min before my train is due to leave Cardiff  :-\  so I'm a bit concerned that the train won't even be there at the start and that despite having a bike reservation it's going to be busy busy busy and that all bookings are not necessarily going to be honoured.

Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily but if I were to get there late is it going to be open so I can get in?

« Reply #74 on: 30 May, 2015, 10:21:39 am »
I have similar concerns re the strike ...

Hoping either that it's suspended/cancelled, or that given I'm coming up from London, they'll have parked a good few trains near Euston before it all starts.