Author Topic: Heartbeat 400  (Read 14644 times)

Re: Heartbeat 400
« Reply #75 on: 14 April, 2017, 02:08:03 pm »
Anyone else signed up this year?
LFCC

« Reply #76 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Not this year, but I have to say what a gem this is, even if like me you entirely miss the Nick Berry reference until you spy the coachloads of tourists at the turn. For me, it's up there with the Old 240 as an exceptionally fun 400.

By golly was last year cold tho'.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #77 on: 15 April, 2017, 12:34:23 pm »
"By golly was last year cold tho'."

Not as cold as it was during the night in 2015.

Only 17 entered so far this year, but entries are still open!

Andy Corless

« Reply #78 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:39:28 am »
Is the route sheet available yet?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
LFCC

Andy Corless

« Reply #79 on: 24 April, 2017, 06:28:29 pm »
"Is the route sheet available yet?"

Route sheets and event information just e-mailed.

Entries still open for this year's edition. The date is Saturday 06 May 2017. It's an anti-clockwise circuit round northern England with controls at: Ripon (109 km); Goathland (191 km); Richmond (279 km) and Lancaster (373 km).

Full details on the event website at: http://burnleyccevents.com/contact/

Entry through Paypal available as normal through the AUK website at: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-315/

Entry fee: £7.50 (£8.00 if entering through Paypal on the AUK website)! Postal entry also available but don't leave that too late!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Heartbeat 400

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #80 on: 26 April, 2017, 12:22:27 am »
I'm in 😎
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #81 on: 11 May, 2017, 08:26:33 pm »
Some thoughts on the Heartbeat 400 Sat 6 may 2017

Thanks to Andy for organising a demanding route through some great countryside.

The day started with a fairly quiet breakfast in the hall as fellow riders contemplated the day ahead. I was nervous and eager to get going but wary of the hills ahead.
We set off in some welcome sunshine and had great views as we climbed up through and beyond Longridge. This did not last as the clouds gathered overhead and the temperature dropped as a headwind picked up. I thought I was trying to hold back but found myself towards the front of the field so chatted a while with (sorry don’t remember your name) the chap in an orange helmet. Andy Corless popped up taking photos at about 50km and soon after I had to let the younger and fitter orange helmet disappear into the distance as I had no chance of matching his pace to the first control. I had a quick snack stop at Grassington in anticipation of the hills before and after Pateley Bridge. The headwind made the long drags drag especially as some of the roads seemed to be roman in construction so you could see the miles of undulations ahead. The decent into Pateley Bridge was fun as I caught up with some cars that had passed me near the top.
The first control at Ripon provided my first Costa of the day on a garage forecourt. A couple of riders rolled in as I finished my sandwich. On the way out of Ripon I passed Robert who I was to see more of later. The roads were fairly flat until Wass and the first hard climb of the day followed by a long descent.
The Yorkshire Moors National Park signs by the side of the road hinted that the next batch of hills were close. The next 60 km were hard. The drag up to the top of Rosedale Chimney in the headwind meant that I had to have 2 cakes at the Abbey Tea Room before continuing to the second control at Goathland. The hills in between Rosedale and Goathland are a mixture of 33% down and 25% up so with the thought that I was not even half way round I walked two of the steepest sections to save my legs some pain.
I arrived at Goathland at 4pm to find Julian in Goathland Tea Rooms ready to set off again. 4 others arrived as I tucked into my soup all with tales of how hard the hills had been. The Tea rooms were very welcoming and even stayed open a bit longer than usual for us.
At about 220km the roads stopped going up for a while and the sun came out again. I was on my own and enjoying the quiet lanes. Another stop on a petrol station forecourt in Stokesly to put on extra layers as it was starting to cool down.
Richmond had been a worry for me when planning this ride as I really wanted to get there before the garage closed as I was unsure about using town centre takeaways on a Saturday night while my bike would be propped up outside. Luckily arrived with plenty of time to spare. Just as well as I was not feeling too good. Two Costas and a pasty were consumed while sitting on a pile of crates on another forecourt and I was ready to leave with Robert.
It was properly dark now so the hills although less frequent and less demanding seemed endless at times. It felt like we were making good time and I was frequently peddling hard at the bottom of a decent to catch up with Robert who seemed to go for it down the hills. We stopped again in Hawes to have a snack before the last long climb. We were entertained by the locals leaving the pubs some showing an interest in the strangely dressed pair hanging around outside the public toilets.
We set off slowly not wanting to overheat on the way up. A few cars passed but otherwise we were on our own with only the sheep for company. The moonlight was just enough to make out some of the surrounding hills and the arches of Ribble Head Viaduct were just visible. The decent to Ingleton seemed to go on forever. We kept on peddling to keep warm as the wind chill on the way down was considerable. I remembered that I still had a cotton cap in my saddle bag so a quick stop in Ingleton and I was now fully dressed.
The next 25km to Lancaster were not hilly enough. I just could not get warm again. Every slight uphill I was out of the saddle moving as much of my body as possible. Eventually we saw the bright lights of Lancaster and welcomed another petrol station forecourt Costa. Unfortunately I just could not warm up so left Robert to carry on to Preston on his own as I went back up the road to McDonalds. A South African rider had also just arrived who I had last seen in Richmond. Tea was brought to our table and money refused as the manager was suitably impressed with our efforts. It was most welcome as was the second cup. After 40 min and a burger we had stopped shivering and felt ready to finish the ride. We were joined by another rider (sorry I don’t remember your name) for the return to Preston. We took turns on the front and made good progress on deserted main roads. The sun came up at some point and began to burn off the mist that hung over the fields and a wind turbine sat motionless reminding me of the previous days wind that was now nothing more than a memory.
Just like 24 hours earlier the hall was fairly quiet as we contemplated the ride and whether we would attempt it again. Now in the comfort of my living room my legs are recovering I have decided I will be back I’m just not sure how soon.
Thanks to Robert who helped keep me going and to the others I chatted with along the way making it such an enjoyable day out.
LFCC

Andy Corless

« Reply #82 on: 15 May, 2017, 06:29:55 pm »
Thanks to all those that entered and took part in the Heartbeat 400 last weekend.

Some photo's from the event:

Riders awaiting the start near Preston, Lancashire

Rider in the Ribble Valley

Sean o' Shah, near Grindleton

Julian Humphrey, Ribble Valley

Daniel Ryder & Stephen Orchard, Ribble Valley

L - R: John Rowe, Robert Bialek, Ian Smith, Gill Smith

Riders climbing in the Ribble Valley

Sean o' Shah, Ribble Valley

Mike Lane, Ribble Valley

Theo Flack & Hattie Simpole-Clarke (behind), Ribble Valley

All photo's by the organiser.

The event will return in 2019!

Andy Corless

« Reply #83 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:35:19 pm »
Thanks Andy for the pics and taking the time to organise a tough demanding ride for us hardcore Randoneurs. It was great preparation for the Bryan Chapman 600 this weekend.

See you on the road somewhere soon!