Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252689 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #50 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:40:13 am »
Thanks Jo and the most astounding thing to me is Kurt's average 17.6 overall . I know he uses a recumbent and must do flat loops but ??

His moving average has got to be higher than that.

red marley

« Reply #51 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:39:40 am »
I calculate the moving average by examining the distance moved every 5 minutes. If there has been more than 100m of movement, the period is counted as "moving" and the distance on the ground is used to calculate the average speed. It is true therefore that for a ride with lots of short stops of less than 5 minutes, the figure would underestimate a moving average figure displayed on the GPS. But the riding style of Kurt and Steve is such that this should be relatively rare.

« Reply #52 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »
Looks like calculating in that manner has had somewhat of an effect on the moving averages. According to UMCA ( if they're to be believed) Kurt has an 18.7 moving average, a 1.1mph difference.

« Reply #53 on: 05 June, 2015, 05:20:15 pm »
All the press is on the hour event this weekend. You'd have thought they could spare a few column inches for the event that lasts 8760 times longer.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #54 on: 06 June, 2015, 08:20:31 am »
They do have 8760 times longer to cover it  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #55 on: 12 June, 2015, 01:17:21 pm »
So, what is Steve's current plan: still to re-start on 1 July?
It's not on his website, or anywhere else obvious.

« Reply #56 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:34:40 am »
So, what is Steve's current plan: still to re-start on 1 July?
It's not on his website, or anywhere else obvious.

Agree with above, and other posts up thread; there doesn't seem to be any obvious rational behind the current mileages, I'm sure the team and Steve know Exactly what they are doing but it is becoming increasingly frustrating that we don't.

I also can't see how 'low level' information, or whatever the term was, is Bad for the record attempt?  There are a lot of us contributing to, and in effect have 'shares' in Steve's attempt.  That's not to say we need input but a bit of information would be good.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #57 on: 14 June, 2015, 10:54:21 am »
I tend to disagree,   I think that Steve and team do have a plan but they are in competition with two others.   It is a competition and Steve gave away an advantage at the start by publishing a plan, so that one of the competitors could copy it. and then ride a few more miles a day than Steve each and every day.   I feel that Steve is much better keeping his powder dry and not publishing plans.   It is enough that the competitors can see what he is doing day by day.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #58 on: 14 June, 2015, 10:56:20 am »
C'mon folks it's not that hard, Steve isn't where he needs to be at this time of year I.E ~98% fitness (He needs 100% in July, boy does he need 100%)

Regardless when he restarts he will follow his plan all be it with a different start point.  Steve spent years developing his plan, he'll follow it.  That means to start now he would need to be able to cover 265 (lower schedule) or 284 (upper) miles per day.  Steve managed 280 once recently, no other ride has reached his June lower target.  It took 19 hours to do those 280 miles leaving 5 hours for end of day food, shower and sleep.  His schedules require he complete the distance in 16-18 hours leaving a more reasonable 6-8 hours per day.  I would guess he'll be targetting the fastest pace on days of a fair wind.  6-8 hours a night is damn hard but much more sustainable than 5 per day.

As Steve's fitness, demonstrated by his speed, matches his schedule then he'll be in a position to restart.  I have my doubts that will be any time soon.  He could probably take a few weeks off the bike and still ramp up to meet the descending requirement in late summer but that's not Steve is it?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #59 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:20:49 pm »
I tend to disagree,   I think that Steve and team do have a plan but they are in competition with two others.   It is a competition and Steve gave away an advantage at the start by publishing a plan, so that one of the competitors could copy it. and then ride a few more miles a day than Steve each and every day.   I feel that Steve is much better keeping his powder dry and not publishing plans.   It is enough that the competitors can see what he is doing day by day.

You've been riding round those battlefields again Geoff?

Steve should 'Reset to zero' on 30th June, I reckon. He's back up to some 'target hitting' distances now.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #60 on: 19 June, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
From another cycling forum
Lack of info just could be a reason that donations appear to have dried up.

Is this correct - I hope not

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 19 June, 2015, 04:46:04 pm »

At this stage, its just a rumour spread by you!

HTH ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »

At this stage, its just a rumour spread by you!

I know for a fact that there was a recent donation from A Pair of Kirtons, so things are still moving on.  A lot of AUK members are also chipping in every time they enter an event.  I'm sure we would hear something if the coffers were empty

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:47:09 pm »
Several people donate by regular Direct Debit.
There's no new donation with this but the money still rolls in.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »
Indeed. It would be most surprising if new donations were coming in at the same rate that they were 6 months ago. The old donations continue to roll in, I would imagine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #65 on: 19 June, 2015, 11:09:27 pm »
I went to a talk today at Eroica Brittania on the subject of Walter Greave's record - and quite naturally the subject of Steve's attempt came up.
The speaker (whose name I have mislaid) made a couple of observations that I disagree with but, I think hearing dissenting voices can be interesting:
1) Steve needs to considerably up his mph in order not to get into serious sleep deficit or fall behind on his miles
2) -and this is more interesting - that any record not set January- December will be discredited by history as all previous records have been set that way - thus negating a July restart.

The speaker was fairly certain that Steve would 'fail' in his record attempt. Sod that - he's a hero already in my eyes.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #66 on: 19 June, 2015, 11:50:08 pm »
I actually think its going to be vey hard to break the record in the UK, the weather and road conditions do not help. Steve has already proved that staying safe over the course of a year is difficult, he didn't last 3 months.

Having said that I hope he does it. Having spoken to him briefly a few months ago his determination is certainly there although the challenge is certainly very tough.

The jan to dec record would certainly be the ideal one to go for, but if it has to be July to June then so be it, Steve has to take what oppotunities there are.

Its a tough call but I hope Steve does it over whatever period he chooses.

At the end of the day he cycles more miles in a week than I did last year, although I am trying to put that right this year.

Derek

GO STEVE

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #67 on: 20 June, 2015, 05:20:45 am »
2) -and this is more interesting - that any record not set January- December will be discredited by history as all previous records have been set that way - thus negating a July restart.

There is certainly an aesthetic reassurance about the timing of an event with the calendar.

But if you look at other sports, you can see that there is wriggle room.  Both golf and tennis have grand slams that can be performed in a calendar year.  There is no discredit in holding all four trophies even if it is not in the same year - I grant you there is an element of frisson when it does coincide.

On a lesser note, there is also the category of career grand slam.  So you may be right, but I think that whoever cycles the furtherest in 365 days will get the nod of history whether it is aligned with the western, mayan or Hindu calendar.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 20 June, 2015, 07:41:01 am »
... then there are hat-tricks in cricket. they have to be 3 consecutive deliveries - but of course a bowler only gets 6 balls-per-over.

So you can extend them into your next over. Or innings. Or match ... which might be 2 years later! This is the definition accepted across the sport.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 20 June, 2015, 08:10:19 am »
Apparently Merv Hughes took a hat-trick in three different overs, two innings and two days, against the West Indies.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #70 on: 20 June, 2015, 05:50:46 pm »
Or innings. Or match ...

AIUI Yes to Innings.

No to match

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #71 on: 20 June, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
I went to a talk today at Eroica Brittania on the subject of Walter Greave's record - and quite naturally the subject of Steve's attempt came up.
The speaker (whose name I have mislaid) made a couple of observations that I disagree with but, I think hearing dissenting voices can be interesting:
1) Steve needs to considerably up his mph in order not to get into serious sleep deficit or fall behind on his miles

The speaker was fairly certain that Steve would 'fail' in his record attempt. Sod that - he's a hero already in my eyes.

Whatever has been done in history, if you work with 365 consecutive days you have to deal with January and December, and whether they are at the start/end or in the middle makes little difference. If you could choose 365 non-consecutive days there's an obvious advantage to doing stupidly long rides when it's "not too hot, not too cold".

As to whether Steve succeeds or fails in his record attempt nobody can deny that it's a hell of an achievement to do what he's done.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #72 on: 20 June, 2015, 10:31:36 pm »
My current thoughts about the record attempt are dominated by awe and wonder - the two yardsticks for primary school religious teaching.

I would have said that the task ahead for Steve to break the record on his current attempt is just too much. However, Steve thinks he can do it so who am I to argue? Time will tell. Good luck Steve!

« Reply #73 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:39:31 am »

What odds was he offering, or wasn't he prepared to 'put his money where his ( big ) mouth is'?

« Reply #74 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:46:23 am »
“January” and “December” are simply names on a page in a book.

Steve can attempt the record ‘Summer solstice to Summer solstice’.

His attempt starts today.
 ;) :thumbsup: