Author Topic: [HAMR] Stepping down as Steve's money man  (Read 5386 times)

Re: Stepping down as Steve's money man
« Reply #25 on: 08 September, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »
What is this 'crew chief' doing anyway? What practical, material support is he giving Steve? Or is Steve pretty much on his own? Seems like the crew chief is busier doing his own races and publicizing himself. I don't understand this at all. 

« Reply #26 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »
This ^^^

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:08:37 pm »
What is this 'crew chief' doing anyway? What practical, material support is he giving Steve?

Well I assume he's getting the shopping done and making sure the bikes are maintained.  That's non-trivial and non-glamorous.

« Reply #28 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »
Well I assume he's getting the shopping done and making sure the bikes are maintained.  That's non-trivial and non-glamorous.

Reading between the lines (which is all we can do) I think it's highly unlikely that Hoppo is doing the daily chores. He may be, but I'm not sure any of us have the faintest idea who's doing what in the support team.

As mentioned earlier, perhaps this is best discussed in another thread.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #29 on: 08 September, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »
Many thanks Roger. It's Steve that has been providing feedback via the forum.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 08 September, 2015, 04:19:12 pm »

Reading between the lines (which is all we can do) I think it's highly unlikely that Hoppo is doing the daily chores.

There's a difference between doing something and making sure it gets done.  Even if it's all delegated, the coordination is vital.

As mentioned earlier, perhaps this is best discussed in another thread.

Agreed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 08 September, 2015, 04:46:46 pm »
Those who've met Hoppo know what he is like.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #32 on: 08 September, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »
Lesley and Andrew provide the support at MK. Idai contributes sometimes. Hoppo is way up North -- he might speak to Steve on a regular basis -- if he does..... he has never informed me of the subject or gist of any conversations, or sought input on any points that might  be worth getting thoughts on.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #33 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:40:19 pm »
Roger, thankyou for doing all you have done, which no doubt includes a huge amount that's not seen. Very best wishes to you!

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:03:57 pm »
Roger, thankyou for doing all you have done, which no doubt includes a huge amount that's not seen. Very best wishes to you!

Well said.

« Reply #35 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:04:57 pm »

+1

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #36 on: 09 September, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
Very well done for all your efforts on Steve's behalf, Roger and hope to see you round the backroads of East Anglia!

« Reply #37 on: 10 September, 2015, 02:08:22 pm »

Thank you so much Roger, for everything you have done.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #38 on: 12 September, 2015, 06:26:11 am »
Thank you Rodger. You really were the main reason for my setting up a standing order and continuing it despite the news blackout that we seem to have as financial backers.  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #39 on: 12 September, 2015, 11:06:12 am »

+1

Yes indeed. Having somebody who knows how to handle loot at the very outset was very important to the whole thing getting going as smoothly as it did.
Garry Broad

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #40 on: 12 September, 2015, 09:21:07 pm »
I am much moved by your posts.

Seems as if I have a reputation to maintain when doing LEL 2017 -- that is going to be bigger  money ..... £500,000 - but still not enough to either buy a Greek Island or decamp to South America, so I shall just have to keep plodding on.

I am fortunate to have time on hand -- and using my modest amount of skill ( and a healthy chunk of integrity ) is my way of repaying all those organisers, volunteers and fellow riders who have given me so much pleasure for the last 10 years.

Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #41 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:48:24 am »
I am much moved by your posts.

Seems as if I have a reputation to maintain when doing LEL 2017 -- that is going to be bigger  money ..... £500,000 - but still not enough to either buy a Greek Island or decamp to South America, so I shall just have to keep plodding on.

I am fortunate to have time on hand -- and using my modest amount of skill ( and a healthy chunk of integrity ) is my way of repaying all those organisers, volunteers and fellow riders who have given me so much pleasure for the last 10 years.

Roger

Aye, you do have a reputation to maintain, but unlike most reputations, it's a good one.

You also sound like a man who has had a weight lifted from his shoulders.

I'm guessing Steve's team may well have been able to stick together for one final push to Christmas, but the thought of another eight months next year was too much.

I reckon that ruddy moped rider has a lot to answer for.

« Reply #42 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:41:38 pm »
The current discussions whilst inevitable, cannot be helping Steve, and everyone, contributors, supporters, team, etc has a responsibility to help Steve achieve this and if anyone reading this does happen to have a spare Spanish villa for the colder months, step forward now!

More publicity may bring in such helpful offers, whether they are taken up or not, the options would be good to have.