Author Topic: Peculier Old 200 - route checking for a new calendar event  (Read 18868 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Deano has outdone himself. We rode a route-check of a 'classic' route from the past, the Hardstiles 150 miler. I'm aware that this is putting pressure on Deano (sorry), but the route was totally stunning and deserves to be a calendar audax. For DIY purposes it gained the name 'Peculier Old 200' - simply because we called in to the Theakstons' pub the White Bear Country Inn in Masham and I clearly had to enjoy a pint of Old Peculier.

Deano's route take in the very best of County Durham and North Yorkshire - Darlington is accessible by train from Edinburgh and London... seriously: keep your eyes peeled because if this appears in the calendar it is going to be extremely popular.

My write up is here. (updated)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
Re: Peculier Old 200 - route checking for a new calendar event
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2016, 07:48:23 pm »
Rumour has it, this is going to be an event in the calendar for October... :)

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2016, 08:27:22 pm »
Graeme, this looks fabulous!

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2016, 10:49:22 am »
It lives!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-352/

Woooo hoo!

I think there is a photo somewhere of team Coppi outside Masham.

I'm looking forward to stamping cards at the White Bear. Arrive early for nearly stamped cards... arrive late for random stamping of brevet card, hand, forehead or beermat.

;D

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2016, 10:50:59 am »
Did you mean "neatly" or is there something you're not telling us?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2016, 10:55:42 am »
Good spot Peter. Although prior to editing there were other typos: 'team Copping', 'stabbing brevet cards'... predictive text is amazing, it's the proof read failure that lets me down. 😞

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2016, 10:56:29 am »
 :)

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2016, 11:30:17 am »
Looking forward to many quarts of Old Peculier, and being stamped whilst I revel and quaff  :P lol
Be interesting to see what the recorded gps track looks like after the control!!
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2016, 12:19:37 pm »
I suppose it was inevitable, with so many rides that sound like a pint of real ale, that a ride would eventually be named after a pint of real ale...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »
In like Flynn  :)

Will Sir be laying on a barrel?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2016, 10:36:33 pm »
;D That's quite unlikely, though I may cover a small beer allowance for anyone willing to check the routesheet and/or gpx.

« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:20:05 pm »
... and entered. The first train from Embra won't get me to Darlo in time so will head down on the Friday afternoon. Keen for some catch-up ales and a curry as part of my warm-up.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:27:40 pm »
... and entered. The first train from Embra won't get me to Darlo in time so will head down on the Friday afternoon. Keen for some catch-up ales and a curry as part of my warm-up.

That sounds excellent :thumbsup: Darlo has some very good curryhouses. It's a good route on fixed, too.

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2016, 11:34:11 pm »
I'm on school hols then. I'll book the train both ways but if the weather for the Friday turns out fine, I'll ride down. A quick glance at GMaps set to walking says 215km from Dirleton to Darlo, although this will mean me grovelling over the Rigg if I ride fixed. That will hurt. A lot.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »
Bit of history here: https://audaxdarleaux.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/peculier-old-200/

Entries are coming in steadily. Full details will be emailed out closer to the time.

« Reply #19 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:23:45 am »
Bit of history here: https://audaxdarleaux.wordpress.com/2016/07/12/peculier-old-200/

Entries are coming in steadily. Full details will be emailed out closer to the time.

That's lovely stuff, Dean and I think you've put together a great ride.  Hoping to do it with brother Trev, for his first 200.  That's a nice picture of Fausto and his team but I'm with you on the fantasy angle!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:41:00 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone in Masham. Hic.

« Reply #21 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »
Seriously considering riding this.

« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:33:54 pm »
[quote author=Peter link=topic=97668.msg2063370#msg2063370 date=1470
That's lovely stuff, Dean and I think you've put together a great ride.  Hoping to do it with brother Trev, for his first 200.
[/quote]

You know, I did think of asking Trev to stamp cards at Appleton Wiske, but lanterne_rouge has manfully agreed to spend six hours at a pub. Hopefully with some company.

I'll await your cheque - I haven't had a postal entry yet ;D

« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:36:51 pm »
Seriously considering riding this.

You'd be very welcome - I've aimed it mainly at local ish riders (you can get a train up from York or down from Newcastle in time for the start), but parking is plentiful and free at the start, and there's a Travelodge next door. There's a campsite about half a mile away, too, which I'll visit in case anyone's on the lookout for the budget option.

« Reply #24 on: 04 August, 2016, 12:03:29 am »
[quote author=Peter link=topic=97668.msg2063370#msg2063370 date=1470
That's lovely stuff, Dean and I think you've put together a great ride.  Hoping to do it with brother Trev, for his first 200.

You know, I did think of asking Trev to stamp cards at Appleton Wiske, but lanterne_rouge has manfully agreed to spend six hours at a pub. Hopefully with some company.

I'll await your cheque - I haven't had a postal entry yet ;D
[/quote]

That's because I've been giving you a chance to recover from The National - they envelopes is heavy!