Author Topic: The Shark 200  (Read 45077 times)

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: The Shark 200
« Reply #175 on: 03 April, 2018, 04:32:16 pm »
I'm a little surprised that this years edition hasn't been mentioned, unless I've missed the thread?

The 2017 edition was my first calendar 200 last year, so as soon as entries opened, I booked my place.

Last year was near perfect cycling weather, with wall to wall sunshine all day long, but with the last few weeks being they way they have been, typically the forecast wasn't great, but at least it was going to be warm. And with the proper grown up mudguards I've fitted in place of the " to let" sign and duck tape specials, I was looking forward to it. As it turned out, it did only rain for little over half of the ten and a bit hours I was riding, most of which was with the favourable tailwind, so no real biggy. Absolutely lashed it down on the ascent into Crowborough and beyond, but cleared for the ascent of Toys, intothe low lying cloud.

The ride started really well. I got off quickly and within 1.8km I was by the side of the road changing the front tube after it decided to explode. The noise was akin to gunfire, and the poor pedestrian next to me at the time ducked for cover. I felt genuinely bad for him as we shared a short laugh together. I can only summise that the new tyre wasn't seated correctly and after topping up on air in the car park 20minutes prior, I had inadvertantly cocked the hammer on the loaded pistol that was my 28mm Durano.

Spirits dampened, my clothes soon followed with the slow and steady precipitation, I set off into the breeze feeling as if I was on a perm. I've done a lot of practise around some of these hills over winter though, so fancied I'd see some company soon enough.

It felt like a constant climb all the way to Cudham and by the time I'd scaled the 25%, using every inch of the road, I'd seen a few people. Quick breather and a small chat with one of the Dean spartans, I set off again. Had a lovely chat with Tim(?) about swimming strokes untill after the descent down Brasted, then set about the climb up to Ide.

Legs were feeling good at this point, but I throttled back a bit knowing what was coming from last year. From here the weather settled, and I caught a tow from a couple of Dulwich Paragon chaps I recognised from GMC, then had a game of leap frog with a chap untill the descent down from Crowborough. ( A chap I wouldn't see again untill just before Toys)

Up and down, up and down. Rode for a short while with a couple of lads from Greenhithe (very close to where I grew up) untill the first control, where I had a very welcome bowl of Ivan's legendary stew and a cup of black coffee.

From here it started going wrong. For reasons unknown, I had a strange knocking noise from my BB every single pedal stroke. A few grinds here and there, I thiugh it was shot and morale plummeted. I hammered along as quick as I could, taking full advantage of this section, knowing it aas pan flat, thinking that if it goes it goes, and I just quick time to the nearest station and chalk up my third month of DNFRTY. The constant worry actually took my mind of of the deluge that had begun, and I plugged away looking forward to the ascent of High and Over. The masochist in me loves this hill and I succesfully crested it with the gaps in traffic perfectly enabling me to tack where necessary. Info at Seaford - no ice lollies this year - and back to Mayfield.

This was a horrible part for me. BB was really getting me down. Rain was really coming down. But I plugged along. Bumped into another GMC rider who I was with most of the way untill just before Cow Lane. (I dind't see him again, so hope he finished.)

Just before Mayfield, my chain came off, and I thiught that was it.

Had a quick drink, had a couple of fruit jellies and remounted my chain and pedalled off. Hallelujah! The noise had gone. The sugar kicked in. My morale could have blasted man into to space. I was a man possessed. Pedalled in to Mayfield, and my favourite Mace shop control. Vege samosa, bottle of red coke and a quick call to my wife, and i was off again.

Bumped into GMC man2 again and we leap frogged untill cow lane. I was feeling really good on the ascents, but was my typical poor self descending. Romain Bardet I am not.

Nothing really to report from here onwards other than a big cheers to the two guys up Toys whose wheels I caught. Without them, I probably would have broken out the 24. (which was used for the first and only time all day up HogTrough - I love my spd sandals for walking in).

A massive thankyou to Ivan and co for a splendid day awheel, despite the weather. Rest assured I'll be back next year if its run.

Rule 77

« Reply #176 on: 03 April, 2018, 11:15:35 pm »
Thanks James for a great write up.

57 of the 129 entrants braved the cold, damp conditions to take the start, and with no reported incidents apart from a few mechanicals, 43 made it all the way round to the arrivée and had their cards validated. Big shout out to Penge CC who tied with ACH for the largest club with 7 finishers and more starters, many on their first Audax.

Running it on Easter Monday was always going to be a bit of an experiment, but very happy with the way it turned out. It is a bit disruptive though as an organiser what with all the shops being closed on Easter Sunday - I think I might a wait a bit and see where other PBP qualifiers sit before placing it in the calendar for next year.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #177 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:06:04 pm »
Now in the calendar for 2019, on Sunday 7th April: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-291/. Have made it mandatory route to remove some of the infos and make it more PBP-like with the chance of a secret control. No other changes planned.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #178 on: 25 September, 2018, 04:13:02 pm »
Oh, go on then.  :thumbsup:
Rule 77

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #179 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:24:42 pm »
Now in the calendar for 2019, on Sunday 7th April: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-291/.

Tempted*  :)

* it would be my third — it's a very enjoyable route  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #180 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:08:08 am »
I've rounded up a couple of Audax newcomers for the ride, really looking forward to it (and the pub finish!).
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #181 on: 13 March, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »
Signed up for this: A tad shorter and easier than Greenwich Mean Climb Audax! ;)

« Reply #182 on: 13 March, 2019, 12:05:18 pm »
Now in the calendar for 2019, on Sunday 7th April

hmmm, tempting, but it's the day after our Amesbury Amble 300 helpers ride, so 500 in a w/e...ambitious so early in the year, would resemble a similar tough combo in Wessex...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #183 on: 13 March, 2019, 07:30:49 pm »
Trains into London on Sunday don't start early enough. Ok for London dwellers I guess.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #184 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:38:56 pm »
Plenty of cheap hostels around London that accommodate a bike!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #185 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:58:58 pm »
Trains into London on Sunday don't start early enough. Ok for London dwellers I guess.
Makes a welcome change! One of the few that (the many) London audaxers have, although for many like me is still a 12 mile ride to the start.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The sound of one pannier flapping

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #186 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:01:42 pm »
Everybody ours a the wawder

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #187 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:07:14 pm »
Typo
Everybody ouddah the wawdder
<______^______  _______^     ;    )))))  ●   >

Did you see what I did there?

« Reply #188 on: 07 April, 2019, 06:59:03 pm »
How did folks get on?  I missed this year cause of family stuff sadly.

« Reply #189 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:16:40 pm »
It was a good day out.  Weather was pleasant enough, a bit of mist in the morning and a shower on the way back. 
A bit stiff now, so an early night, I think!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #190 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:35:10 pm »
A massive thank you to the Boss Ivan and the helpers and riders on this magnificent event.  I had a great day out with the club and thoroughly enjoyed serving each and every rider with a steaming cup of ACH tea.
Long live the Shark and the spirit of all that made this year's edition another raging success.

Jonah x

« Reply #191 on: 08 April, 2019, 12:21:13 pm »
Think a good day was had by all, even those that managed to miss the village hall, or only rode the V of the Y-shaped lower section, thereby skipping the trip to the seaside completely. All of which means I only have around 100 brevets to validate out of 138 starters, though more made it back to the arrivée.

Extra kudos to the first time audaxers (even the ones that didn't manage to find all the controls, see above) - special mention to the rider on a touring bike with panniers, I think she struggled to walk it up Hogtrough Hill but still made it round with an hour to spare. Also good to see the likes of TigaSefi helping someone complete their first one.

« Reply #192 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:04:47 pm »
Entered.  This will be my 4th Shark but first audax (or anything over 50 miles!) for 18 months so absolutley no idea how/if the legs will hold up - but looking forward to it anyway  :)

« Reply #193 on: 12 April, 2021, 11:36:10 am »
Great day out (at last)!  Slower than previous rides but I put that down to the temperature (sleeting when re-entering London), riding on my own throughout (spaced out start times) and the lack of distance in the legs - all those hours on the turbo trainer don't seem to count for much at the end of a long & hard day on the road   ;)

Thanks to Ivan & helpers!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #194 on: 12 April, 2021, 03:00:03 pm »
  Slower than previous rides but I put that down to the temperature (sleeting when re-entering London),

If you were re-entering London when the sleet hit us, you can't have been that slow!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #195 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:01:12 pm »
  Slower than previous rides but I put that down to the temperature (sleeting when re-entering London),

If you were re-entering London when the sleet hit us, you can't have been that slow!

I was heading up Hogtrough when that arrived. The roads looked pretty wet for a period afterwards, so looks like being slow meant that I missed most of the 'weather'.

I realise Hogtrough isn't far from 're-entering London', but my stops had been very short all day to avoid getting too cold when not on the move. My moving average was 19km/h, which I put down to my lower levels of fitness currently, and to a lesser extent the cold northerly wind.

Grand day out, all in all.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #196 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:47:33 pm »
Note that the deviations around the A27 junction closure have added around 60m of climbing, bumping it from 3 to 3.25AAA so you can always blame any slowdown on that :-) I quite like the return via Gun Hill despite the short A road stretches, tempted to leave that in for future editions.

In the end, after sorting 76 entrants into 13 groups, had 52 start and a handful of DNFs, exact finishers TBC once the brevet cards come out of quarantine.

« Reply #197 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »
Note that the deviations around the A27 junction closure have added around 60m of climbing, bumping it from 3 to 3.25AAA so you can always blame any slowdown on that :-)

Ah - that explains it  ;D

I was comparing with previous years' tracklogs and noticed an increase in elevation stats.

« Reply #198 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:16:32 am »
It was good to get out and do my first calendar event for almost 2 years, but I felt slow!  The headwind coming back didn't help, but I don't think it was only that. 

I had the snow shower as I got back into London too - it started just after I went down Downe Road (the really steep zig zag bit)