Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 95965 times)

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #450 on: 20 March, 2019, 10:02:28 pm »
Good news JD  :thumbsup:   Though perhaps not for your wallet.....

The parental cat , Kismet has an eye infection, she's got treatment for that , but they've been told she's got bad gingivitis & should really have her teeth scaled.  That would require a GA.  She's 20, this is not going to happen.  She appears perfectly comfortable, spends all day in her bed,  eats when she feels like it (very fussy about her food) and occasionally bullies the two Rottweilers.

There is a seaweed thing that seems to get good feed back for scaled teeth.

Thanks,  I've ordered some for them to try.

Not good news.  One side of her face is massively swollen & she's been sneezing blood.  I suspect a nasty decision is going to be made in the next week.  :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

essexian

« Reply #451 on: 25 March, 2019, 05:40:31 am »
I am sure I have read the saying somewhere that: “If I didn’t have bad luck, then I wouldn’t have any luck at all.” I am sure that was written for me and my moggies.

Looking back over the last decade, I note that we have lost Kev Kev the stray who came to live his last weeks with us to cancer, Colin who decided he liked our house better than his own and stayed…and ate and ate and ate until he reached 7kg to kidney failure. We also lost Alfie a massive tom who again started out life as a stray, this time to old age. We then lost the “Grey Twins” Pootle and Perkins to FIL and finally and certainly not least, a year ago next week we lost lovely little Petal at only 7 years old.

Why am I telling you this? Well, the curse has struck again and last evening we lost our most senior (and Mother to Perkins, Pootle and Petal) Elma to liver failure at only 10.

Things didn’t start well for Elma. Her and her brother Eric (who still lives as a stray but is very much his own cat and allows us to both feed him and house him in our summer house when he wants us to) were born in the wild: it seems the idiots around here don’t bother to have their cats done given the number of strays there are. However, one warm day in the Summer of 2010, she came across our house and noted that there was food on offer. Promptly she removed the two toms who were eating at the time: Colin and Jamise and helped herself coming back for more and more and more.

Little did we realise that she was with kitten (black fur is soooo slimming) until on Saturday evening in late August when CBH went to put her clothes away when she discovered Elma having kittens in her sock draw. There were five of them: the three above plus Posie (asleep on the bed at the moment) and Pixie (on the sofa). Not wanting to send them off for rehoming and having the space, we kept all five, making a total of 8 cats in all!

Over the years and in part due to our own stupidity in not having them vaccinated as kittens we lost three of Elma’s children. However, after pretty Petal died, we thought we would have a few years without any issues….how wrong were we!

Earlier this year Elma had a period of sickness. The vet did note that her liver was a little out of wack but said this could be result of a simple virus. She was correct as after a bit of treatment, Elma returned to health; only for the same thing to happen a month later. Further tests showed that again Elma’s liver wasn’t quite right but as the treatment had worked previously, we repeated the medication and again, all was well.

This period of wellness lasted seven weeks. However, on Thursday our poor moggy was unwell again so upon phoning the vets we got an emergency appointment where yet more tests were done. This showed Elma’s liver was in a right state, as was her white blood cell count and her BP. After an afternoons treatment, she was well enough to come home and to, as she had done previously, hopefully to recover. 
Sadly, that was not to be and on Sunday evening she collapsed. One mad rush to the emergency vets later we were told that she was in a coma and there was no hope for her. Sadly, we had to let her slip away with the knowledge that she had brought a lot of love into our household over the 9 years she had been with us.

“Empress” Elma, Head Moggy, Ruler of Stray Toms, Chief Food Taster, and general lovely cat. 2009 to 2019. You will be greatly missed. Not only by us, but by your remaining kittens and by the other cats in the neighbourhood who you ruled with a rod of iron!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #452 on: 26 March, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
Awh    :(

« Reply #453 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:23:10 pm »
RIP Kismet.   We rescued her when she was abandoned in a cardboard box on the steps of the local vet's clinic, 21 years ago.    Had to take her back there for the last time today  :'(

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #454 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:45:05 pm »
Aw, sorry Andrew  :'(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #455 on: 02 April, 2019, 08:58:00 pm »
21 years is a great life. She had great eyes.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #456 on: 02 April, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »
Condolences, Andrew!

« Reply #457 on: 02 April, 2019, 09:29:50 pm »
Condolences Andrew, she had a good innings.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #458 on: 06 April, 2019, 05:35:07 pm »
Tigs has turned into an emo and started pulling his fur out.  I suspect it's a new cat in the neighbourhood.  Vet has given him some slightly dubious herbal calming tablets, since there is no skin condition or parasite infestation.  Apparently "stress pulling" is fairly common.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #459 on: 06 April, 2019, 06:08:33 pm »
Trichotillomania in humans IIRC...

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #460 on: 06 April, 2019, 07:20:04 pm »
So sorry to hear this Andrew

« Reply #461 on: 26 May, 2019, 08:35:01 pm »
Phoebe is off to the vet one last time. I wish i was there to say goodbye and cuddle the kids.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #462 on: 26 May, 2019, 08:36:57 pm »
It is a year ago today that Morphy shuffled off this mortal coil.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #463 on: 26 May, 2019, 08:50:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that PD  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #464 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:06:53 am »
Condolances, PD. We've done that altogether too many times.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #465 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:08:25 am »
I lost my Big Guy yesterday. Little Man (on the left) is looking lost
I've just filled two bowls with fresh water
There's only the sound of one set of paws coming to greet me this morning.
Two leads hanging up
12 Years is nowhere near long enough
It hurts  :(

« Reply #466 on: 17 September, 2019, 11:47:37 pm »
Athena has a lump.
Having seen how fast Phoebe's spread, I think we're going to go for a happy time rather than surgery.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #467 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:47:04 am »
Might be a fatty cyst...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #468 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:15:32 pm »
It seems more likely to be a tumour, and given her age and the speed with which her sister got new lumps earlier this year, we’re not convinced that the trauma of an op is the kindest way to go. Rats are quite good at grooming stitches.

« Reply #469 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:11:11 am »
Parents cat went out a 2nd floor window and then slipped yesterday  ::-), cue trip to the vet. Last I heard he wasn't weight bearing on a rear leg and has a good scab on his chin. Will hear more today on how he is.

This mornings update is mobile but limping so he avoids the indignity of the cat carrier for a second time in two days.

« Reply #470 on: 06 October, 2019, 02:53:16 pm »
Athena developed a second lump, and they'd got to a point where she was clearly declining. So we said goodbye this morning.  :'(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #471 on: 06 October, 2019, 05:32:38 pm »
Condolences pd!

« Reply #472 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:49:08 pm »
Amy the goose didn't make it out of the hut this morning.  Now nibbling grass in Elysian fields.  :-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #473 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #474 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:44:35 am »
Thanks helly x