Author Topic: Late season Super Randonneur 2020  (Read 13872 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Late season Super Randonneur 2020
« Reply #75 on: 19 October, 2020, 03:13:00 pm »
having done a 300 yesterday, there are still 400 and 600 to do during the next two weeks. i should start listening to audio books on these rides as it gets a bit tedious with no one to talk to the whole day.

Funnily enough that’s exactly what I’ve been doing.  Audible is quite a good app.

i'm a long time subscriber to audible, just haven't found a setup (or more like, haven't investigated properly) that would work on a bike for the whole day.

« Reply #76 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:00:21 pm »
I just use my phone and bluetooth headphones.
I definitely ride slower with words than with music, mind.
Unfortunately it also means that some books are forever associated with certain rides, and vice versa.

« Reply #77 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:06:28 pm »
I didn’t see that coming! Especially in 2020. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a natural cyclist, but last night, I got home from a 400 DIY, making this year a first SR for me. All squeezed into the last 3 months.

LOTS of people made this possible. I just did the fun bit. Thanks especially to my mentor Tony H. The wise woodsman from the West.

Fantastic.  A 2020 SR will be rarer than in normal years.

« Reply #78 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:09:48 pm »
Completed the SR this weekend with a 400. Having done the 600 in September I was starting to think this wouldn’t happen as both weather and a cold had meant postponing planned rides.

With the lack of available places to eat and rest during the night, I went for a return home at 270km. Three of us rode an adaption of a 300km route I’ve done a few times. Headed north from Bristol, through Cirencester to Bibury before turning south and a first stop at Lechlade. Next up was the rolling hills of the North Wessex Downs to Salisbury and then headed home along the Wylye Valley, Warminster, Bath (via two tunnels) and Bristol. The night ride was a straight run up the A38 to the 24 hour garage at Quedgeley nr Gloucester. The last section went through the lanes of the Severn Vale where we encountered one car over about 70km and that was a police car.

Very pleased to have completed  :)
Well played Jon. When I get some speed into my legs I’ll ride with you lot one day. Just not fixed

rob

« Reply #79 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:19:21 pm »
I just use my phone and bluetooth headphones.
I definitely ride slower with words than with music, mind.
Unfortunately it also means that some books are forever associated with certain rides, and vice versa.

Same here.  Phone plus headphones.

Music for training.  Words for long Audax.

« Reply #80 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:53:58 am »
I am about to pull the starting trigger on my October 600: my weather window has opened: Thursday-Friday.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.6;-4.8;5&l=rain-3h&t=20201022/0600
My draft route to Sennybridge and back (from East Devon)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34395868?beta=false
avoids the current travel-restricted areas (Severn Bridge, going up the Usk and then heading for Hay (border) and England). I have prepared an English only route (NNE from Bristol and a loop from Gloucester round Ludlow way) as a contingency:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34448047?beta=false
The new Welsh 'Firebreak'  https://gov.wales/coronavirus-firebreak-frequently-asked-questions
announced Monday comes into effect at 6pm on Friday and prima facie precludes rides in all parts of Wales. I actually think that cycling for exercise remains allowed, provided you start and finish from/at home - I will be :) but it's not the spirit that we need to observe for AudaxUK sanctioned rides.
I will be out of Wales by (latest) 2200 Thursday.
In Wales I will likely stop twice to buy food (Brecon and Hay-on-Wye).

« Reply #81 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
Completed a full value DIY 600 in the 'weather window' (SE Wales and SW England), and out of Wales well before firebreak lock-down.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34499083?beta=false
Basically Exmouth to Brecon and back via Gloucester, Bath and the south coast.
Off road: Strawberry Line going north towards Bristol; crossing the Avon and Severn Bridges, a bit getting into Bristol from the north (from Winterborne); Bristol to Bath cycleway, and the Bath twin tunnels 'greenway'; and the Exe Estuary trail (both sides).
Sleep (and shower) stop in sister-in-law's 'cowshed'(v comfy annexe) @ 319km.
What a 'brilliant' weather window! Caught up a bit of rain around Thu sunrise. Not balmy but not cold, either late or pre-dawn (~9 degrees). Winds generally light. All weather as forecast (maybe winds lighter).
Slow up hills - guess I'm way less 'hill fit' than 'normal'. Middle part of Day 1 tough going, and same for Day 2. First 5-6 hours each day OK (eg first 100 in 4:15, maybe too fast but only stopped to put jacket on) and last 4 each day hours OK. Moving speed in 'bad' patches down below 18kph (average).

« Reply #82 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:16:40 pm »
Brilliant, well done Ajax

« Reply #83 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:16:32 am »
Did my 400 yesterday. Enjoyed the tailwind to brekky at Whittlesey spoons, onto Spalding (Halfords, not spoons, to buy longer Allen keys for a saddle which refused to stay still), felt the wind in places to Woodhsll Spa (shoulda stopped here but wanted a just after half way stop at Sleaford), then I really felt the wind as I headed West and South more. Had a pudding aswell at Sleaford spoons, but the gales were stronger now. The next 27 miles were a nightmare, and took forever, and it started pouring it down as I re-entered Spalding, so I had my third spoons stop. Hid in there until the rain stopped, and the weather app said the gales had gone (it lied). Within five mins of leaving, the rain poured, and the gales attacked once out in the open. Decided not to stop at Whittlesey again, and just wearily slogged it home. Thought it was gonna be easier than the headwind out, headwind back 600 two weeks ago; it wasn't. Glad it%u2019s all over for this year (pending approval). Two more years then I can buy the ultra badge.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #84 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:29:15 am »
Very well done, @Bikeabilityman
Talk about doing it the hard way! So easy to wrap with the wind and rain seemingly conspiring against you.

« Reply #85 on: 26 October, 2020, 07:02:00 am »
Very well done, @Bikeabilityman
Talk about doing it the hard way! So easy to wrap with the wind and rain seemingly conspiring against you.
Thanks. Originally, I was going to do the 600 last, and if I had, I’d have had a tailwind all the way to East Yorkshire, maybe even missing the rain. Oh well!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #86 on: 31 October, 2020, 07:41:08 pm »
Done.

HK knocked over a 400 DIY this morning to finish her SR. This completes her 20th SR year since the first in 1999.

I completed a 600 this evening for my 20th SR year since 1994. I have always been a bit of a dilettante. An SR in October for me, our first brevets since the Chepstow 150 in early March. Not as impressive as an SR week but good enough for me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #87 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
 :) :) :)   Both of you!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #88 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:16:07 pm »
having done a 300 yesterday, there are still 400 and 600 to do during the next two weeks. i should start listening to audio books on these rides as it gets a bit tedious with no one to talk to the whole day.

ok, so all rides completed (600 subject to validation).

somebody remind me please, why am i doing these rides?..

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #89 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:18:34 pm »
Done.

HK knocked over a 400 DIY this morning to finish her SR. This completes her 20th SR year since the first in 1999.

I completed a 600 this evening for my 20th SR year since 1994. I have always been a bit of a dilettante. An SR in October for me, our first brevets since the Chepstow 150 in early March. Not as impressive as an SR week but good enough for me.

well done, good to see you two this morning!

« Reply #90 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:29:24 pm »
Done.

Oh, congratulations to you both - there aren't many double Ultra SRs out there.

« Reply #91 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:31:54 pm »
And slightly on topic, can anyone point me at a list of this season's SRs? I've been fishing about the old and new websites and can't find one.

« Reply #92 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:38:13 pm »
And slightly on topic, can anyone point me at a list of this season's SRs? I've been fishing about the old and new websites and can't find one.
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/srs/

97 completed in a very lean year. There will be a few more coming through shortly I gather (including Judith, congrats!).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rob

« Reply #93 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:38:44 pm »

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/srs/

« Reply #94 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:40:39 pm »
Ta, both!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #95 on: 01 November, 2020, 09:32:24 am »
That link now draws a blank because there are no SRs yet 'this' season.

You need
http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2020/srs/

There's been a lot of talk in the press and media about how far backwards C****19 has taken this country - 10, 15, 20 years - well for AUK 100-ish SRs takes us back to 1988/89 levels.  I remember those as being rather good years personally.  But an SR in 2020 is a fantastic and unprecedented achievement and hopefully it will remain 'special' - well done to everyone.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #96 on: 01 November, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »
well done, good to see you two this morning!

And you. Always nice to see familiar faces, even if only fleetingly on the other side of the road.

There is a big difference between feeling like the only idiot out there and knowing that other folk are hammering themselves round a long ride. This year has been pretty discouraging and isolating overall.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #97 on: 01 November, 2020, 03:34:47 pm »
Well done on the last weekend completion of 2020 SRs

bairn again

« Reply #98 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:44:58 am »
Another +1 to the "very well done" to those who completed an SR this year, especially those who did the lot in October.

I didn't do an SR, thus breaking a continuous run of 15 that started in 2005. 

I was surprised to see that my points total for the 19/20 season (17) isn't actually my lowest in this period, having done a bare SR in 2016 for 15 points. 

I think I might have won my club audax points championship though.  :o     

« Reply #99 on: 02 November, 2020, 11:53:47 am »
As I was coming to the end of my 400 the other weekend, I started thinking I may aswell do my next SR in the winter months (as others do), in case things happen next year to spoil my plans. Now with all this lockdown talk, I’m just thinking about doing my November 200 after work Wednesday lunchtime (I did think about doing yet yesterday, but decided on garden centre visits with my wife instead 😁).