Author Topic: Nutty Nadal and the Sharapova Shuffle  (Read 2266 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Nutty Nadal and the Sharapova Shuffle
« on: 10 June, 2013, 02:28:30 pm »
I noted a couple of new OCD player behaviours this week during the French Tournament:

On the downside, Nadal seems to have taken treating the ballboys as butlers to a new level - he now needs not 1 but TWO towels handed to him as he walks back to his chair.  What he does he need them for? ::-)

It's pleased me to notice Maria's little shuffle she does to avoid walking on the white lines. She does it before serving (if she has to cross the baseline); and at end-changes, where she will deliberately divert to the service-line/side-line junction so she can do her little shuffle.

I'm surprised I've never heard the latter mentioned in commentary - once you notice it, it stands out a mile at every change of ends! (A quick google suggests that Nadal does something similar.)

I know plenty of athletes have their superstitions and rituals, but I hadn't noticed this white-line business before.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Nutty Nadal and the Sharapova Shuffle
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »
It may be to do with the drug-testing; white lines best avoided.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:49:53 pm »
Andy Murray seems occasionally to talk to the stars in between points. The other day I'm sure he mouthed

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2013, 03:39:57 am »
Mc Enroe was one who avoided stepping on the white lines aswell.
Sharapova often also stands facing the back of the court with one foot behind on tip toe, if that makes sense, both before receiving or delivering serve.
At least Nadal seems to have got rid of the habit of pulling out his shorts from his a**e every point. He looked like he was getting one permanent wedgie. A few years ago, Djokovic, before he got really good, used to mimic players' habits and Nadal really didn't like it when he did his wedgie removing routine.
They all have them, just look at the number of times they bounce the ball before serving and you'll probably find it's the same number each time. Gets a bit frustrating when that number is 14 though.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2013, 11:50:12 am »
I know plenty of athletes have their superstitions and rituals, but I hadn't noticed this white-line business before.

There's been more than one F1 driver who would only ever get into his car from the left side.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »
I must have missed my vocation; I always get in from the right ......