Author Topic: The Tokyo 2020 thread  (Read 1350 times)

The Tokyo 2020 thread
« on: 08 September, 2013, 09:58:26 pm »
Might as well start early. Thoughts? (Mods - maybe a sticky if you think it appropriate?)

I'll start: Wrestling back in (at the expense of baseball and squash). My POV =  :thumbsup:
Working my way up to inferior.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Tokyo 2020 thread
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2013, 10:11:06 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »
Tokyo again? I hadn't noticed.

Poor Istanbul. Rejected again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2013, 11:00:36 pm »
A former colleague lives in Istanbul, if her stories of strikes, work-to-rules and rubbish piling up on the streets are anything to go by the first event if the games had gone to Turkey would have to be the Team Stadia Building.

Tokyo can afford the Games but where are they going to hold them? There isn't a spare inch of land anywhere around there.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:02:06 pm »
There's a very large plot of green land in Ciyoda, right in the middle of the city . . . . but I doubt they'll move the emperor.  ;D

There are quite a few rather good sports facilities already, quite a few of which will be used. They're building a new main stadium - but it'll replace the one used for the 1964 Olympics. The same site also houses other sports facilities which will be used.

Accommodation for athletes will be on another site on Tokyo Bay, which is being redeveloped. Post-2020, it'll be sold off as new housing. It's convenient for the city centre & easy to get to the 1964 site from. There'll also be new sports facilities there.

To quote the IOC summary -
There is no risk attached to land acquisition as all land required for the venues has already been secured. ...

Of the proposed 36 competition venues:
• 15 exist. 13 are in excellent condition and two would require permanent works;
• 10 venues would be temporary and dismantled after the Games;
• 9 venues would be new, permanent Games-dependent construction;
• 2 venues are planned irrespective of the Games, including the new Olympic Stadium to be constructed by the Japanese Government through the Japanese Sports Council.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:08:15 pm »
Is the Golden Turd going to play a part?

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2013, 02:13:26 pm »
Hopefully, the 2020 Tokyo Games are just the only way that life imitates Katsuhiro Otomo's seminal manga/anime, Akira  :demon: :

http://kotaku.com/the-2020-tokyo-olympics-were-predicted-30-years-ago-by-1276381444
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche