Author Topic: Red Bull Air Race POV!  (Read 1539 times)

Red Bull Air Race POV!
« on: 14 February, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »

Re: Red Bull Air Race POV!
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2015, 12:58:39 pm »
The G-Meter in front of the pilot makes for some scary reading!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:02:48 pm »
 :o  :o  :o  :o :o  :o  :o  :o

7G!

Holey fucking moley.

I bet the fuel delivery system for that engine has an interesting design. Wonder how heavy the controls get when pulling those manoeuvres.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2015, 02:32:45 am »

7G!

Holey fucking moley.

I bet the fuel delivery system for that engine has an interesting design. Wonder how heavy the controls get when pulling those manoeuvres.

7G is relatively mild for those guys. Many of them have competed in unlimited aerobatics, where they'll push/pull +/- 12Gz.
I think they know have a 10G limit on the air races.
The  controls shouldn't get all that heavy. They'll be countered weighted and are designed to reduce the load on the controls.
I never pulled more than 6Gzs (Pitts Special) and the stick forces weren't an issue although my left shoulder would get sore from having to hold the hand on the throttle during the G-load.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2015, 09:09:57 am »
RE:10G limit. On races in general or just the Red Bull ones? IIRC the RB ones have always had the limit in place and, if a pilot happens to pull more than the limit, they get a time penalty.  Can make for interesting viewing if there is only a few seconds between 1st and second place and the last person up is trying their hardest to move up from 2nd to 1st, whilst doing their best not to get a penalty.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »
As far as I'm aware, the Red Bull Racing is the only aero racing with aerobatics included so general racing, either point to point or round a course like at Reno won't induce such high G forces.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2015, 01:26:53 pm »

7G!

Holey fucking moley.

8.7g if you look closely, possibly more.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)