Author Topic: Q1  (Read 1559 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Q1
« on: 25 June, 2021, 09:51:27 am »
Yesterday, I cycled into London for the first time in aaaaaaaages. It's incredible to see how much has changed in terms of proper cycling infrastructure.

From Greenwich I picked up the Q1 "quietway" that runs all the way to Waterloo. It was great! Plenty of other cyclists using it as well. Not as fast going as the Old Kent Road, perhaps, but decidedly more pleasant to ride on. That said, I've not ridden on the Old Kent Road for a long, long time, so maybe that has changed now too. Hard to tell from looking at Street View.

The bit from Waterloo across Westminster Bridge, round St James's Park and up past Hyde Park to the office (just the other side of Marble Arch) is great too, but I've been using that section regularly for a while anyway (usually, rather than going over Westminster Bridge, I turn along CS3 to Cannon Street for the train).

Is London actually becoming a cyclists' city at last?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Q1
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2021, 07:42:13 pm »
Yes. There's a lot of changes that have to settle down, especially with the local streets, but sufficiently more people are beginning to appreciate that cycling is the best mode of travel for many journeys. When I think back to the daily dice with death that was a cycle commute 30 years ago, we're really getting there.