Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930608 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #11925 on: 21 October, 2011, 09:45:20 am »
The front cover of the Sun today is a fucking disgrace. I think it's the worst they've ever done. And I'm advising you all not to look because it's horrid and it will make you cross.

I live and work in leafy Surrey. I think the only copy of The Sun I ever see is in the Canton Express. Since I wasn't planning on going out for Chef's Special Rice and Char Sui tonight (on account of being skint), I'll never get to see this offensive item. Might I ask for brief enlightenment, just so's I know what I'm avoiding? :)

I assume it's the same as the header on thesun.co.uk

<looks>

Nah, not angry. But I think I was a little bit sick in my mouth.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11926 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
Yuck.
Getting there...

« Reply #11927 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:16:07 am »
Haven't seen the Sun for about 10 years - my computer operators kept a copy on the console - but looked.  NO not cross but not convinced it was really necessary.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #11928 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:57:53 am »
The front cover of the Sun today is a fucking disgrace. I think it's the worst they've ever done. And I'm advising you all not to look because it's horrid and it will make you cross.

Shit, that's tasteless. Mnd you this is the paper that did 'Gotcha', all of thirty years ago - not much has changed then.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11929 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:14:26 am »
I think it's worse than the Gotcha disgrace, somehow.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11930 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:22:53 am »
http://www.frontpagestoday.co.uk/ will get you the front pages of all the papers..

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11931 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
Nice to see the Eeny Stannit has its priorities right ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11932 on: 21 October, 2011, 11:58:55 am »
I think there's something to be said for showing death and mutilation in the context of a war, to avoid the whole killing procedure seeming too distant and clinical to us who are not directly involved. But what makes this one horrid is the vengeance and gloating.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #11933 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:04:35 pm »
It illustrates the shitty aspect of killing people & de-sanitises the usual news coverage of war.If it shocks someone somewhere into not pulling a trigger it's not been published in vain.

ETA
 I agree that this
the vengeance and gloating.

is un-necessary

fuzzy

« Reply #11934 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »
Kirst,

Is it the tone of the piece or the image?

The image is the same as used in the Telegraph, Guardian and Scotsman I think.

If it is the tone, I agree but expect nothing better from The Sun.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11935 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »
I don't like the image and I don't think it's necessary, but the headline is what's really outraging me.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11936 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
Just to add variety, my money's on thermocouple.

It was the motor in the 3 way port valve. Apptly unlike the newer style combis, the 'diverter' valve isn't the same and is more like a valve that you would see on a service boiler (??). So if the motor goes it's fine, but if the vavle itself seizes it's a total bastid and the whole thing has to be stripped out which involves draining etc.....
Anyway, he's stuck a new motor in and I have heat, so let's hope that's it.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11937 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »
Ah.

A tip for future problems. Those diverter valves can be operated manually. there is usually a lever on the side so you can 'lock' them into one position (or leave them in the other position. The motor bit just clamps on top, and can be removed easily.

I used one when installing hot water and central heating on the barge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11938 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »
I don't like the image and I don't think it's necessary, but the headline is what's really outraging me.

+1
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11939 on: 21 October, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »
Just to add variety, my money's on thermocouple.

It was the motor in the 3 way port valve.
Oh, I was just about to suggest that.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #11940 on: 21 October, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
On-One/Planet X, you are a bunch of bastards ....

Not because you keep sending me email newsletters (I asked for them, after all) but for sending me email newsletters full of stuff that I want to buy. Case in point: the Kaffenback with Alfine-11 .... were it not for the fact that I've got some Very Expensive DentistryTM coming up, I might have ended up with (another) n+1

On the other hand, I might let you off as you delivered my last lot of merino tops in double-quick time.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11941 on: 22 October, 2011, 12:24:46 am »
Dear ${REMOTE_ACCESS_POLICY_WONKS} at ${BIGCO}

Please note that you already have an inactivity timeout on the remote access connection, which should stop the infrastructure being swamped by people initiating connections then leaving them doing nothing "just in case".  I'm not sure I see the need for an additional session length timeout that kicks in after 7 hours regardless of activity.

Much of the time when I work from home it's because I need to put in a long one, as per the last couple of days when I had to play catch-up since in our division we have one person looking after something that our nearest equivalent division has ~5 folks doing.

The bloody session length restriction hit me three times yesterday and twice today.  I am distinctly under-impressed.

Perhaps I should consider changing roles and moving into something that can be done comfortably within your policy restrictions.  Do you by any chance have any roles going in you area?  I am a creative individual and I feel sure that I could think up many more policies to prevent folks from doing their roles effectively and I'd still guarantee to be able to logout in way under seven hours.

Yours,
Oaky

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #11942 on: 22 October, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »
Dear new person at the stables,

I don't mind you moving your things in with me, that is what tack rooms are for after all. But what the FUCK gave you the idea that you could take over, shove my things in a corner without so much as a by-your-leave and take over MY rug racks?? Had you said that you needed more space, I'd happily have reorganised my things, but to come up today and find that I couldn't even get into my saddle locker because you've put a TABLE in the way really sucks! Note the lovely clear space in front of YOUR OWN fucking locker, of course!!

Gah!! Bloody lucky I wasn't planning on doing anything much today!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #11943 on: 22 October, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »
Eurostar. You continue to excell in your quest for ever diminisHing standards of customer service.

I understand that you may have to change our seats   But under what circumstances is it acceptable to seat a 7 year old away from his parents?

And the to blame 'the system' and tell us maybe it will be sorted out on the train.

And to think I used my loyalty points for this trip!

ian

« Reply #11944 on: 23 October, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »
Pipex / TalkTalk, whomever you are this week.

In a previous episode, we discovered that I was mostly unimpressed that you felt free to take my current service (featuring the name 'unlimited') and make it decidedly limited. Doubly unimpressed that you embedded this with a little sleight of hand in some genuine small print of a letter headed 'a small change to your direct debit'. A more cynical person might assume that was a purposeful.

Now, I'm a reasonable man, so I send a note to the customer services at Pipex. OK, I did contemplate putting a message in a bottle and throwing it off Southend pier, which is as likely to be successful. But, begone my expectations, within minutes I had a response!

Pipex don't take email queries. Why don't I 'submit a case'. (Having some passing familiarity with the system they use, for our sins we used the same on the mothership for a while, I know you can press a simple button to make a case out of an email, but hey.)

So I copy and paste my email into their stupid engine, after answering sixteen stupid questions that have no relevance to the query I'm submitting and go to bed. The next morning, I have a response. Can I provide the information below, so they can prove it's my account? Well I certainly can, after all it's the same information I had to input to submit the damn support case initially.

Now, at this point, I could steal a tractor and drive it through the doors of Pipex's HQ and embark on an orgy of destruction. But remember, I'm a reasonable man, so I do as told and re-provide the same name, account number, DoB details.

I sit back and await my response.

Sorry, you'll need to submit this TalkTalk. Can you forward it? No.

To be honest, I live in south London, and I suspect their support services are in India, so my tractor-death-orgy isn't looking favourable. So I copy and paste the same information into TalkTalk's system. The next day, I enter it again so they can find my account, which they can't because I'm not a TalkTalk customer.

But it doesn't matter, because they can't deal with the query. Oh no, I need to call their retentions line (at my own expense no less). I'll be honest, I've written a single paragraph that perfectly and clearly states the issue, I have no wish to spend time on the telephone restating the issue. It not arguable, it's not debatable. How about you just pass it on? Ah, but they have no means to contact the retention team. Nope, owing to some mysterious cul-de-sac in time and space, the TalkTalk customer services department has no access to email, telephone, or even semaphore.

It's alright though, I do need to weigh up the benefits of being with TalkTalk. For instance, I get access to free X-Factor tickets. Which is super, since that's just want I wanted. I seemingly pressed the wrong fucking button when I ordered broadband all those years ago. I didn't want unlimited internet access after all, I wanted some shitty free tickets for an experience I expect is akin to gouging my own eyeballs out with a rusty ice cream scoop while being fucked in each ear by two horny donkeys. Of course.

They have done the impossible though. They've made a move back to BT look reasonable.

« Reply #11945 on: 23 October, 2011, 01:17:37 pm »
Virgin Media are just as bad!

I moved my phone service away from them but they still had me down as subscribing to various phone services so I call them up & they agree that I had indeed ported my number away from them so credit me & tell me that the packages had been removed.

The e-bill arrives & guess what... The call packages are still on the bill.

Of course since it's account related I can't do anything until Monday.

If it wasn't for the lack of BT line to the house & me moving to a voip service, I would tell them to fuck off & go elsewhere.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11946 on: 23 October, 2011, 01:38:56 pm »
Driver of the silver estate car YB03 UGR, you are an aggressive little pea-brained dickhead.  Maybe one day soon, your small-minded aggression will make you pick on someone bigger than you.  Let's see you throw your weight around once your face has been smashed in.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11947 on: 24 October, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »
[...] were it not for the fact that I've got some Very Expensive DentistryTM coming up, I might have ended up with (another) n+1

Teethgrinder can sort that for you, and then you can have a new Shiny Thing :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11948 on: 24 October, 2011, 01:27:03 pm »
[...] were it not for the fact that I've got some Very Expensive DentistryTM coming up, I might have ended up with (another) n+1

Teethgrinder can sort that for you, and then you can have a new Shiny Thing :thumbsup:

I should point out, in Steve's best interests, that carrying out any treatment on teeth when not registered with the General Dental Council is a criminal offence.

Even registered medical practitioners who wish to be maxillofacial surgeons have to do a dentistry degree on top of their medical degree...

Dentistry and veterinary surgery are the only two health professions with closure of function (what you do) rather than closure of title (what you're called).

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11949 on: 24 October, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »
I should point out, in Steve's best interests, that carrying out any treatment on teeth when not registered with the General Dental Council is a criminal offence.
So my dad, pulling loose baby teeth out with a bit of cotton thread, was a criminal? If only I had known this at the time.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]