Author Topic: Calendar feed from AUKWeb My Calendar  (Read 3695 times)

Calendar feed from AUKWeb My Calendar
« on: 24 January, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
I'm sure the committee have many better things to do, but just to suggest that it would be really neat if My Calendar produced an .ics feed :P

I'll get my coat...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Calendar feed from AUKWeb My Calendar
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »
Or a link / export to google calendar ? :)  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »
A link to Google calendar is effectively what I mean. You don't really want an export because your list gets updated as you enter more. A feed is updated automatically (at frequent intervals).

Permanents would be good (I've only ever ridden one), but I suspect that the system doesn't know your planned date of ride, and so couldn't put it in a calendar.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »
be careful though; if you go through the "enter this event" process but don't actually part with any readies via Paypal the ride still appears on your calendar (or at least it did when I tried as I couldn't understand how a snail mail entry could arrive and be processed so quickly; I've since done this with an event I have no intention of entering I just clicked the button closed the page and it's in my calendar)

Permanents would be good (I've only ever ridden one), but I suspect that the system doesn't know your planned date of ride, and so couldn't put it in a calendar.

well actually it does as I always get a planned date in entries to my perms (it's a required field) but they don't appear in any AUK calendar

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:51:49 pm »
A link to Google calendar is effectively what I mean. You don't really want an export because your list gets updated as you enter more. A feed is updated automatically (at frequent intervals).

Preferably in a non-google-specific manner.

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:57:12 pm »
I rather think that this won't happen in this version of the AUK website ...

It wouldn't surprise me, though1, if it had appeared as a possibility in the spec for new site developments ... Even if it's in the spec, though, you won't see it for a while.

1: I'm not being coy - I don't actually know.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2017, 12:09:56 am »
Fair enough.  It's a good idea, but by no means an urgent one.

Thinking about it some more, a generic ics feed of the entire calendar (or maybe subsets by region or distance) would also be a nice thing.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:21:29 am »
Fair enough.  It's a good idea, but by no means an urgent one.

Thinking about it some more, a generic ics feed of the entire calendar (or maybe subsets by region or distance) would also be a nice thing.
too many events, it would just fill up Google calendar. And the website is terrible for filtering events by region. It seems to identify the region of a ride by the organisers address rather than the start point. Or is that just for perms?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2017, 02:08:33 pm »
too many events, it would just fill up Google calendar.

Who said anything about Google Calendar?

I'm just thinking in terms of providing the data in a standard format so people could use it for clever things I haven't thought of, as much as browsing via their calendar software of choice rather than the website if they're so inclined (if only so the software can inform them of potential clashes when making some unrelated entry, rather than actually displaying the entire AUK calendar).

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2017, 04:17:34 pm »
Download the entire calendar as excel. Or csv for those who don't love Excel.
It's there at the press of a button

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »
IIRC, twice in the decade-ish that I've been an AUK, someone has kindly set this up manually.

(probably by screen-scraping Aukweb.net ?)

Given that it hasn't been mentioned for many months, I'm guessing that the guy hasn't kept it updated!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:31:29 pm »

The trouble is, noone will tell you that the calendar has been changed, so you need to do a new export.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2017, 08:07:53 pm »
And a list of permanents I've entered.
But I don't want a list of perms you've entered.  :demon:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #14 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:09:39 am »

Is that a download of the AUK Calendar?  It seems to include a non-AUK event.  On the other hand, I like the sound of that 600 you have highlighted.