Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by mzjo on Today at 07:07:03 pm »
Good thing about getting involved with a club is that as other riders change bikes, upgrade, have birthdays etc you can get access to a pool of known and cared for secondhand machines. Well worth having ime.
Andy - me and Mrs Socks can help at Clarencefield, we're staying at Newcastleton for a few days then so it's just down the road.

Thanks, I think I've sent you a message via YACF, can you send me an email to my email address, thanks, Andy
There’s a vautour* on the telly!  Yay!

* In London Zoo
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by TheLurker on Today at 06:47:36 pm »
Modern Girl - Boomtown Rats
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by BFC on Today at 06:47:01 pm »
I will be out tonight
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 06:45:37 pm »
Judy Is A Punk ~ Ramones
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 06:38:14 pm »
my 2p. Second the n+1 option, when the time is right.  Carrera bikes tend to be on the heavy side - think the Parva is 13.5kg (med frame?); so with 1.5kg of water in summer, & saddle pack with extra kit, you may be knocking on 16kg + rider.   Having said that I don't tend to stress too much about weight, particularly since I'm not the lightest myself these days either.  Drop bars are great for multi hand positions on longer rides, though the flat bars can be could for 'working' those hills. In the fullness of time, a lighter bike, with drop bars, from Halfords - Boardman bikes can be a good option - gravel bikes would give a wider ranger of tyre sizes, mudguards no problem, & lowish gearing* 1:1 or better. (probably).     *maybe not as good as your hybrid (triple?).
OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by Wombat on Today at 06:21:53 pm »
Cudz, your stretching my knowledge of the regs to the very limit.

I would say that hot water might be potable or 'wholesome' under the terms of the regulations, but because mains tap water shouldn't be tepid as that would potentially be unpaletable there is a requirement to prevent mixing. See here for the fluid categories https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/guidance/backflow-protection/backflow-protection/backflow-protection/what-is-a-fluid-cate/

With my water treatment hat on the other reason I wouldn't want to mix in hot water is the residual disinfectant (chlorine or chloramines) that are there to suppress any microbiological contamination after treatment that might make the water unsafe. Heating the water will reduce this residual and will therefore mean that the water once cooled could easily become a viable media for biological growth, see legionella's etc.

Er, chlorine?  Don't have any of that stuff in my water... Yes, I know most folk do, but I don't.

Based on your timezone you are either on a private supply and reliant on the short time and distance between the UV unit and the tap to prevent recolonisation or you are in one of the areas of the Netherlands that operates a chlorine free distribution system.

The former!  Borehole in the garden, and an effing great pump about 40 metres down it.  Brave assumption about the UV unit, though.  Its only had that for the last 7 years, just before we bought it.  Its a 1985 bungalow, and the initial residents are still alive and well after drinking the totally untreated water.  Its in a very rural area of Powys, mid-Wales.  Hopefully all the sheep wee has been filtered out of it by the time it reaches the level of the borehole intake.  Comically the UV unit was installed on the feed up to the tank in the roof space, not the downfeed.   Its lovely water, and we haven't died yet, or I think I'd have noticed.
« Last post by orraloon on Today at 06:18:21 pm »
I Want To Be A Punk Rocker (but My Mammy Wullnae Let Me)  ~  Andy Cameron
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10