Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 390195 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #225 on: 17 May, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »
The Wright Brothers were cycle framebuilders.

Just sayin'...
Getting there...

« Reply #226 on: 17 May, 2012, 08:59:33 pm »
I have this sneaking suspicion that Mr Yates is slowly constructing a replica DH2 somewhere in his workshop..

Alas no, but the  handle on the workshop door used to be the canopy jetison handle on a Vampire  ;D I also have the Ejector seat warning triangle from the same aircraft that used to be on the back of my office seat at Steels. Sad or what !!!

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #227 on: 17 May, 2012, 09:09:13 pm »
I have this sneaking suspicion that Mr Yates is slowly constructing a replica DH2 somewhere in his workshop..

Alas no, but the  handle on the workshop door used to be the canopy jetison handle on a Vampire  ;D I also have the Ejector seat warning triangle from the same aircraft that used to be on the back of my office seat at Steels. Sad or what !!!

Dave Yates

The first part, definitely not. Sensible re-use I'd say.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #228 on: 17 May, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »
Seat at Steels?  Considering how busy you must have been, I am amazed you had time to ever sit down!
Getting there...

« Reply #229 on: 18 May, 2012, 07:35:25 am »
Seat at Steels?  Considering how busy you must have been, I am amazed you had time to ever sit down!

I didnt do much, just sat in the office drinking coffee and supervising the minions  ::-)

Back on topic, have a look at this chaps pics, absolutely stunning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/last_lightning/7217592360/in/photostream/

Cheers

Dave Yates

« Reply #230 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:01:03 am »
Seen in the vicinity yesterday

Cheers

Dave Yates

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #231 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
Blimmin local hooligans!  Scorching around in their machines, making noise, doing donuts, producing clouds of smoke... ;D
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #232 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »
How many are currently flying? Are they back to 9 or flying 7 at the moment?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #233 on: 22 May, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »
7 for this season.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #234 on: 08 June, 2012, 04:42:41 am »
Once again no photo (too slow again)m but just the other day, flying over Northallerton, I saw a SAAB Viggen. Either that or it was a Eurofighter, I have only jusst realised that they both have a similar profile.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #235 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:41:45 am »
Once again no photo (too slow again)m but just the other day, flying over Northallerton, I saw a SAAB Viggen. Either that or it was a Eurofighter, I have only jusst realised that they both have a similar profile.

I think all the Viggens have been retired by now. Its replacement the SA39 Gripen looks fairly similar though.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #236 on: 08 June, 2012, 10:04:21 am »
I think some Viggens are in private hands  now.
Getting there...

« Reply #237 on: 08 June, 2012, 10:11:11 am »
Mebbe. Wiki reckons the last Viggen flew in June 2007.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #238 on: 10 June, 2012, 02:05:20 pm »
ISTR there is quite a difference in size between the Viggen and the Typhoon.

Having said that there is also the 'these are very small, those are very far away' factor.

I am a dickhead.  :facepalm:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #239 on: 12 June, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
The beechcraft starship uses a similar layout, you can tell them apart by the shape of the fuselage, and the Piaggio has a conventional tail as well as the carnards at the front.
Thanks, I reckon it was the Piaggio with the straighter wings

There was one at Bournemouth yesterday, missed it as it taxied past our apron but got a photo of it at the hold;

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #240 on: 13 June, 2012, 04:30:57 pm »
Goodyear airship low over Southwark this lunchtime.  It came south roughly over Waterloo Bridge, turned overhead at the Imperial War Museum, and headed towards London Bridge, seeming to struggle in the wind, and drifting sideways.  But it turned West again and seemed to adopt a rather nose-up attitude, drifting rather, before looping around at a slightly higher altitude, then towards the North, when I lost sight of it.
Getting there...

« Reply #241 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »
VC10 tanker at Coningsby this lunchtime. Did a fast low (for a VC10) run, sharp climb to circuit height, full circuit, low approach then climb out. I was walking the dogs so no camera.  :(

Dave Yates

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #242 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:09:46 pm »
The military spec is interesting as its a mix of the VC10 and Super.
Getting there...

« Reply #243 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:55:07 pm »

Still got mucky engines !!! Huge smoke trail as it climbed out.

DY

TimC

« Reply #244 on: 13 June, 2012, 09:55:41 pm »

Depends which version. The original CMk1 was indeed such a hybrid, but the later KMk2 and KMk3 were converted commercial VC10s and stretched Super VC10s acquired from various sources - in fact, the RAF at one point owned 34 of the 56 VC10s ever produced!

They're down to just a handful now, and I'm not sure any of the original CMk1s (which were modified to become a 2-point combi tanker/freighter) are still in service.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #245 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
Have you ever flown one?  I'm curious as to how they behave, being an (almost) unique layout.
Getting there...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #246 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
Almost unique? Saw an Ilyushin 62 at work a little while ago, with the odd tail prop extended to stop its arse hitting the tarmac when empty.
We used to have regular Tu154s here, speaking of dirty aircraft. Not only were the jet efflux nozzles caked in soot, and the planes as noisy as, but when they took off you could follow their passage by the smoke trails.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #247 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »
I said it quite deliberately, as it's usually accepted that the Il-62 was a copy, though I'm not sure of the chronology.
Getting there...

TimC

« Reply #248 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:21:16 am »
Have you ever flown one?  I'm curious as to how they behave, being an (almost) unique layout.

Yes, I have. I was never a VC10 pilot but, as boss of Air to Air Refuelling teaching outfit at Lyneham, I had a great deal to do with 101 Sqn who operated the 3-point K2 and K3 tankers which we refuelled from after the Victor, Vulcan and Hercules tankers had retired. The aeroplane was a delight to fly, and had no vices within the normal flight envelope. It had relatively huge amounts of power, and was great fun at training weights! The passenger version, without all the bits sticking out into the airflow, was extremely fast by modern standards - able to cruise at M0.9. Mind you, it absolutely ate fuel! With a maximum load of 140-ish passengers and at about 150 tonnes, it would burn more fuel than my A340-600 - which is over 200 tonnes heavier! In the late '80s the RAF had brought the standard cruise speed down to M0.84, which both saved a lot of fuel and allowed the aircraft to be more compatible with modern airliner traffic in a procedural (speed-constrained) environment like the North Atlantic.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #249 on: 14 June, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
Interesting.  Thanks.  It's a joy of this forum that there are people with all sorts of experience to draw on, and I thought it was a fair bet that you'd played with a VC-10.  Magnificent beast to look at, but it sounds like it lived up to the promise in flight.
Getting there...