Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 390205 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #900 on: 01 May, 2015, 01:38:27 pm »
Doubtless, there wil have been a mighty fine noise which accompanied that ^^ photograph.

« Reply #901 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:16:22 pm »
Doubtless, there wil have been a mighty fine noise which accompanied that ^^ photograph.

The sound of 6 merlins (Lanc, Spitfire, Hurricane) never ceases to raise the hairs on the back of my neck but the sound of 8 was, as you say, "mighty fine".
The Lanc has been flying virtually every day this week preparing for it's PDA on 6th May. Yesterday it flew over just as Classic FM played part of The Dambusters March, a magical moment that will probably never be repeated.

Cheers

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #902 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:24:28 pm »

:)
It is simpler than it looks.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #903 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:17:04 pm »
I was unlocking my bike after a successful mission to the DIY store to buy primer and masking tape when I heard aero engines, many aero engines. I stepped back and looked up and saw a Lancaster heading towards the centre of The Hague followed by a Spitfire.

Some Googling found that they had been on a trip to commemorate Operation Manna which used air drops to fed the starving Dutch towards the end of the war.

Made my day that!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #904 on: 02 May, 2015, 09:07:08 pm »
At 10. 40 the Lancaster was doing 3 loooooooooooooow circuits od Wobbly towers.  :smug:

Actually it was for a motorbike fest going on in the village.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #905 on: 02 May, 2015, 09:07:41 pm »
You've misunderstood their task, Vince. They were actually practising for Operation Marmite - a mission to supply Brits beyond the Channel with this essential foodstuff/building material/mosquito repellent!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #906 on: 03 May, 2015, 12:29:31 pm »
Operation Marmite was the reason the Third Reich collapsed so spectacularly after D-Day.  They dropped it on the Führerbunker.

The Nazi High Command: Mein Gott!  Zey eat zis?  Ve are doomed!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #907 on: 03 May, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »
Operation Marmite was the reason the Third Reich collapsed so spectacularly after D-Day.  They dropped it on the Führerbunker.

The Nazi High Command: Mein Gott!  Zey eat zis?  Ve are doomed!

Potential for yet another Downfall meltdown scene re-subtitling there.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #908 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
Took a pootle to the end on the Abingdon airshow runway about 1.5hrs before end.  Lancaster didn't make it cos of weather.

Any ideas?   

Eurofighter & Spitfire.  Typhoon was impressive when it flew directly overhead with afterburners on, then went vertical...

Gloster Meteor - fast (well less than half max of typhoon), and apparently first flew in 1943.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #909 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »
#1 looks like a Catalina. Lovely plane.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #910 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:05:09 pm »
Yes, Consolidated PBY, one of my favourites. They flew anti submarine patrols from the Fermanagh Lakes during WWII..
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #911 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:31:12 am »
Eurofighter & Spitfire.  Typhoon was impressive when it flew directly overhead with afterburners on, then went vertical...

Sure that's a spitfire?

I think you might have snapped a pair of typhoons there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #912 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:37:24 am »
No its a clipped wing Spitfire. A Typhoon has a different tailplane shape as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #913 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:48:55 am »
No its a clipped wing Spitfire. A Typhoon has a different tailplane shape as well.

Also, the Tiffy had two autocannons per wing and a single large "chin-mounted" radiator intake just behind the prop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon#Specifications_.28Typhoon_Mk_Ib.29
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #914 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
I thought I could see a rad bulge behind the prop.

Someone clipped the wings off a spitfire? How dare they!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #915 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:57:54 am »

Better role rate versus a bit slower at climbing. They did it to quite a few during the war.

« Reply #916 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »

Better role rate versus a bit slower at climbing. They did it to quite a few during the war.

And IIRC a higher top speed at low level - 'cropped, clipped, and clapped out' referring to older airframes used for low-level V-1 chasing (clipped wings, cropped supercharger impeller for low-level boost).

« Reply #917 on: 05 May, 2015, 03:36:56 pm »
Spitfire LF XVIe rebuilt to flying condition by the staff at BBMF over the last 10 years. It has, in effect, a zero timed airframe so gets quite a lot of use. MkIX airframe with a US Packard built Merlin. The"e" refers to the E or universal wing which could be fitted with a variety of gun combinations.

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #918 on: 05 May, 2015, 04:51:57 pm »

Also, the Tiffy had two autocannons per wing and a single large "chin-mounted" radiator intake just behind the prop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon#Specifications_.28Typhoon_Mk_Ib.29

Also, sadly there are no flying tiffy's and only one complete example anywhere in the world - a shame as it's one of my favourites.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #919 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »
In a strange way I was actually quite surprised to see the EF Typhoon flying so slowly - sky pootling behind the Spit...   I wonder was the 'stall speed' is?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #920 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:06:15 pm »
They did tests many moons ago in interceptions of a Spit by a Lightning. Best technique was a climbing attack from astern.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #921 on: 06 May, 2015, 05:05:36 pm »
They did tests many moons ago in interceptions of a Spit by a Lightning. Best technique was a climbing attack from astern.

Full details here:

https://defenceoftherealm.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/the-spitfire-the-lightning-how-two-british-icons-met-in-simulated-combat/

Reverse zoom and boom !
The WWII piston engined fighters were much more manoeuvrable than the big jet fighters of the 60s so dogfighting was a no no.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #922 on: 06 May, 2015, 05:40:03 pm »
The Lightning was never designed for dogfighting.  It was meant to get cannons, AA missiles, and a pilot to altitude in the minimum time possible.   
Getting there...

« Reply #923 on: 06 May, 2015, 06:42:54 pm »
The Lightning was never designed for dogfighting.  It was meant to get cannons, AA missiles, and a pilot to altitude in the minimum time possible.

True, the issue was that suddenly the RAF found itself fighting some asymmetric wars where the other side was equipped with late WWII era piston engined fighters such as Mustangs. They needed to develop tactics to cope with slower but much more manoeuvrable fighters that also had too small a heat signature for the missiles of the time to lock on to.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #924 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:06:06 pm »
The difficulty of predicting the format of the next conflict...

But I don't believe Lightnings ever actually engaged in conflict, did they?  Sure, they were scrambled on a regular basis to intercept Bears etc, but...
Getting there...