Linked Events

• The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // West Bromwich: 29 June, 2013

Author Topic: The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // 29th June, 2013 // West Bromwich  (Read 7327 times)

A follow-on from loose talk in a field in Rutland and this thread here.

The first instalment of skills sharing is GO!
http://manyandvaried.org.uk/the_public/the_great_big_skills_share_jamboree/

At this stage the format for the day is still quite open - I'm hoping discussion here will help give it the right shape.
I'd like to run it on similar lines to an unconference, but I suspect that the practical nature of the sessions will mean that I'll have to do a certain amount of pre-programming to make sure people have the resources they need.

I'd originally thought that it could be a mixture of 30 and 60 minute long sessions, however I've now been told the building's open until late so we could potentially run through until 10pm with scope for some longer sessions if people think they'll have the stamina. Probably a 10 or 11am start.

Who thinks they'll be coming (it'll be free, but I will ticket the event through eventbrite so I've got channels of communication with attendees) and who would like to lead a session?

Remember: it's skill sharing, not necessarily skills teaching, so you don't have to prepare a formal lesson. Barakta and Kim are limbering up for British Sign Language 101, which I suspect will be quite structured, but an equally valid approach would be to, say, gather a few unicycles together and for people to take turns as catchers!

This is the space we've got. Hope you like the colour green...

More photos here.

I'm thinking I'll zone it off into 3 or 4 areas with sessions running simultaneously and people free to drift between or chill out somewhere out of the way.

Inventory includes:
  • sinks
  • a quite low ceiling
  • wheelchair access
  • a fair few electrical sockets
  • wi-fi
  • a screen for projecting onto (I can borrow a projector, they might try and charge me for using theirs)
  • and I can request n number of tables and chairs

So, over to you for a bit: who's planning on coming, who's interested in leading a session and if so of what sort of length and would you need any particular resources?

Sessions:
BSL 101; barakta and Kim; 1 hour, maybe a bit longer; projector

Attendees:
nikki
barakta
Kim

We have a projector but I'm not sure of the 'brilliance' of it.   We used it with my laptop for a talk about bees by some expert recently.

You are welcome to borrow it if required.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Suggest you add this as an event to the YACF calendar.  You should get a "link to calendar" button at the very bottom left of this page, nikki.

We have a projector but I'm not sure of the 'brilliance' of it.   We used it with my laptop for a talk about bees by some expert recently.

You are welcome to borrow it if required.   :)

Thanks PB. I have one already pledged, but having the option of borrowing a second could yet turn out to be very useful!

Suggest you add this as an event to the YACF calendar.

Done.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Looks good (and green)!

I can also borrow a projector from work (they'd never notice) which I know how to use if Nikki's pledged one goes tits up.  I'll make sure any video I plan to use is local to my machine anyway.

I promise the BSL won't all be boring fingerspelling (boring and hard) and I'll try and get across some of the contexts of the language and culture and people can ask me stuff and I'll do my best to answer or point y'all at resources for answers.

I like the idea of an unconference - I've never been to one and as an event organising nerd I like the idea. 

We'll be able to wrap up with a film night at this rate  ;D

Would that be with a take-away balti and a few bottles?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I can't do that date.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Shame you can't make it, Cudzoziemiec.

Would that be with a take-away balti and a few bottles?

Well, if it's only barakta, Kim and I turning up I'm going to get them to teach me how to swear in sign language and then settle down to an afternoon DVD marathon. This should cover it.

Seriously though; if we can gather a bunch of people who will commit to coming within the next week or so, and if there's enough momentum behind curry and film, then I expect we can make that happen.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Maybe... it's a very congested calendar couple of weeks but I _think_ I can possibly wangle it!

We're a maybe.   Mlle PB is hinting about going up north of the border for cycle touring purposes in a couple of weeks in her usual unplanned manner.   I'm thinking that the dreaded wee biting beasties will have come out to dine by then.   :-\

Maybe... it's a very congested calendar couple of weeks but I _think_ I can possibly wangle it!

I read that and my imagination went off on a flight of fancy about what a calendar wangling skill share session might look like. Possibly with similarities to welly wanging.

I suspect in practice the process involves more wailing and gnashing of teeth - would be lovely to meet you if you can make it work, but no worries if not.

Oh, and everyone: I've said it elsewhere, but in case it needs reiterating here, children are welcome.

We're a maybe.   Mlle PB is hinting about going up north of the border for cycle touring purposes in a couple of weeks in her usual unplanned manner.   I'm thinking that the dreaded wee biting beasties will have come out to dine by then.   :-\

Cycle touring in Scotland or talking about last will and testaments in West Bromwich. Tough call...

Ironically I'd probably prefer the latter...  :D

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I'm sharing camping skills with the cubs that weekend.

Well done for picking up on the idea and running with it Nikki!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I quite like this idea.

I worked in W Brom for a year, but (that being some time ago) I may be able to return there now without the ab-dabs.

I can throw a Frisbee (but not a cricket ball). I can tweak bits of bike. I have basic Spanish (and basicer* French). I am an employment lawyer by trade. I am surviving (and likely will be survived by) 2 boys aged 6 & 3.

I've just done a 3 day first-aid course, but I'd have to lay big caveats down before agreeing to try to pass on what I could about that.

Is there anything there that anyone fancies knowing about?

In return, I'd like kite-making, pot-holing, wall/anything climbing, arrow-head making, zombie identification/destruction.

(*English, however...)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
zombie identification/destruction.

I have a vision of it deteriorating into the zombie apocalypse survival workshop from Redemption a couple of years ago, only with more sharp objects.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Can anyone demonstrate wheel building?

Clare

• Is in NZ
Bugger  >:(

We're signing for our new place that weekend and have to be out of here by the 5th July.

I really want to learn BSL  :(

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
I don't think I can do the date :(

Will discuss with Mrs P who was (a) keen to meet you guys and (b) wanting to demo her skills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I really want to learn BSL  :(

It's the right time of year to check the prospectus from your local college.  Level 1 classes aren't usually too expensive, and will actually teach you enough to be useful, if not conversational.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I'll be doing a handout of BSL resources for learning online too - there's at least 2 reputable online class systems for about £30 for a year's subscription per level which I am going to try out myself once I've finished my accreditation...

I'm sharing camping skills with the cubs that weekend.

Well done for picking up on the idea and running with it Nikki!

Thanks! And have a fab time camping.

I've just done a 3 day first-aid course, but I'd have to lay big caveats down before agreeing to try to pass on what I could about that.

I think that if the experience becomes Not Fun, then we're doing it wrong. So I suggest you rule out the first aid if you have any reservations at all.

Language things are massive, but maybe you (or others considering it) could find a very specific thing to focus in on? How to order a beer in Spanish. Swear words and gesticulations useful whilst driving in Italy. That sort of thing!

That would be great, if someone(s) would like to give it a go.

If anyone wants to lead something involving sharp objects (paging Charlotte...) let me know and I can make sure the hosts are okay with that.

I was asked about travel by someone coming from Far Far Away, so here's a bit more information for others using public transport who might not be familiar with the area...

(To accompany http://manyandvaried.org.uk/the_public/travel/ )

Assuming you arrive at New Street Station, it's a short walk (maybe give yourself 10-15 minutes to also allow for finding your way out of the new New Street station - map ) to Snow Hill Station where the trams (Metro) depart every 8 minutes or so. Journey time from Snow Hill ~15 minutes.

Timetable here. Last tram back to Snow Hill is about midnight.

This would be the simplest way of getting over to West Brom, however, you cannot take your bike on the tram.

Sandwell & Dudley is the nearest railway station.

If you're planning on cycling from New Street station, you can get most of the way along the canal (towpath is packed hardcore style, not too comedy, might be a few puddles at the base of bridges, IIRC there's a radar gate just before you come off at Bridge Street.) After that it's a tiny bit of road before joining a shared-use path along the tram lines to West Bromwich. Prior to getting onto the towpath it's a combination of city centre roads and pedestrian areas. About 6 miles.

Cycling along the roads isn't a terribly pleasant experience, as they're mostly big and busy or through post-apocalyptic industrial lands with lots of sharps and lorries etc.

I've done a Google map showing the cycle route and a walking route between New Street and Snow Hill. http://goo.gl/maps/4flVl

HTH

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk

I can.  If there's a call for it.  I can also do:
  • Cabin Doors to Manual: How and why you should operate your camera on modes other than "P" and "Auto" - a hands-on introduction to Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO numbers for the photographically challenged.
  • Greenwood carving, based around knife skills.  It's beyond the scope of a 60 minute long session to teach anyone to carve a spoon, but I'm confident I can teach the basics of how to use a knife in this time.  Types of blade, the main grips and how not to cut yourself.
  • Knife sharpening: The Scary Sharp System - using abrasive paper and flat boards to sharpen and then strop simple blades.
  • Campfire building and lighting 101.  Although if we're indoors, probably best to leave this for some other time...  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi

• Cabin Doors to Manual: How and why you should operate your camera on modes other than "P" and "Auto" - a hands-on introduction to Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO numbers for the photographically challenged.

I also qualify as "photographically challenged"  but I cannot attend on the 29th June. :(