Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626161 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3775 on: 22 August, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »
My grumble, looks like one of our local farmers has decided to spread mud and cow shit all over NCN72 again. The corner under the bridge (about 3/4 of the way up the pic) is very slippery. Previous form would suggest this mess will be added to for the next few months (it reached above my 32mm marathons last year at one point). I know this is the countryside and we expect a little mud, but this one farmer really takes the piss and I few of my friends have come off on this slick in the past (the farmer is also well known for routinely leaving all their gates open across the cyclepath on the next bit making it hard to get down the track).
To you, it's NCN72 cyclepath. To him, it's the track for getting his cows in to milk. He probably leaves 'all his gates open across the cyclepath' so his cows can walk into/ out of the right field. You know he (probably) isn't antagonistic to cyclists. He's (probably) not doing it to make trouble. He's (probably) just trying to make a living. It (possibly) was a track for his cows long before it was NCN72.

Can we all agree to blame Sustrans, then?    ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3777 on: 22 August, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »
Meanwhile, in York ...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/readersletters/10628039.Why_don___t_cyclists_use_proper_paths_/

Does the A19 go from Rawcliffe to Skelton? I thought it was the A614... Memories of Thorne Audaxes...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3778 on: 22 August, 2013, 05:37:27 pm »
Meanwhile, in York ...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/readersletters/10628039.Why_don___t_cyclists_use_proper_paths_/

Does the A19 go from Rawcliffe to Skelton? I thought it was the A614... Memories of Thorne Audaxes...
That's Rawcliffe as in the suburb of York, rather than the suburb of Howden ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3779 on: 22 August, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
Oh, right!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3780 on: 22 August, 2013, 08:54:07 pm »
Snuck out of the office to grab a photo or three of a flying boat over Tower Bridge.  I was expecting him1 to fly E->W, but he flew N->S.  >:(  I managed one picture, but won't know how 'good' it is until I get home.2

I may try to catch the return on Sunday.

1 Met friends of the pilot on London Bridge, who referred to the pilot as 'he'.
2 Shoot raw (NEF) and don't have software on my work computer to view that format.

Photograph now posted in the appropriate thread.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3781 on: 22 August, 2013, 10:46:47 pm »
As Senior Dude On Site, I had an HSE Audit today.

They reviewed my site Risk Assesments.
These have not changed for many years.
I got reprimanded for having an 'and finally' item in my Risk Assesments.

I had considered the risk of 'Velociraptor Attack', and as a Control Measure, had advised the replacement of lever-type door-handles with turny-knob ones.

This had been cheerfully accepted by previous HSE drones in the manner in which it was intended.
But the New Dudes were too tight-laced to allow it.
Arses.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3782 on: 22 August, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »
You mean you failed to point out to them that the replacement of lever-type door-handles with turny-knob ones would be equally useful in the far more likely event of zombie attack?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3783 on: 23 August, 2013, 08:36:03 am »
Specsavers Leamington: You were supposed to call me when my new glasses were ready. So, after two weeks & I call you, why do you ask me if I have fixed an appointment to have them fitted? How the heck could I have done that when I was waiting for you to call. Muppets.
And I get home to discover that the focussed part of the lenses is different. The right one is higher than the other, meaning I'd have to tilt my head to get both lenses focussed at the same point. I am now wearing my damaged older pair until I can get back to see you.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3784 on: 23 August, 2013, 03:30:11 pm »
You mean you failed to point out to them that the replacement of lever-type door-handles with turny-knob ones would be equally useful in the far more likely event of zombie attack?  :o

Or alien invasion?
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3785 on: 23 August, 2013, 08:04:27 pm »
Those lucky enough not to have to work as code monkeys with M$ dev. tools can go right ahead and laugh like drains, for the rest of us who do..

M$.  _WHEN_ self tracking entities don't work as advertised wouldn't it have been a good idea to make it possible/easy to dig around in their guts so that ordinary code monkeys (who have better things to do with their lives than spending them reading MSDN - which is shite BTW ) might stand some chance of working out why and therefore have an alternative to hours and bloody hours of fruitless trawling through teh internets in the hope that some other (un)lucky soul has stumbled (and I do mean stumbled) across the solution already.  Sigh.

Oh well at least they've got shot of Balmer.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3786 on: 23 August, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »
This buggering old laptop's whining.  Far too high in pitch to be a fan, and it's not an HDD (has SSD instead).  I'm not going to stand it.  Recently upgraded as well.  :(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #3787 on: 25 August, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
Some silly wotsit dropped a le cruset pan on his foot which now hurts. Owey.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3788 on: 25 August, 2013, 11:29:18 pm »
I'm surprised your foot's still attached to your leg after a clout with a Le Creuset.

essexian

« Reply #3789 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:16:59 am »
Saturday….out for a 50km ride which despite the wind, went well: six PB on Strava and a comment that I felt the fittest I have all year. Then back into town to have my bikes tagged for free by the local police saving £60. Follow this up with an agreement from SWMBO that I could do a short cycling tour next year made Saturday a near perfect cycling day……… until Saturday evening then, despite just sitting there and not moving it, my knee “popped”…..OUCH.

So, two days later no cycling as my knee is painful and swollen.

Does the God of Cycling hate me so much???? I know I look horrible in lycra but it’s a Bank Holiday, I want to go out cycling otherwise I will be forced to go to the garden centre…………………….. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3790 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:36:12 am »
Getting up early on a bank holiday Monday for some work - to find that the work I have to work on arrives an hour late, and the main part of it 90 minutes late.  >:( And it's not even a bank holiday over there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #3791 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:41:42 am »
I'm surprised your foot's still attached to your leg after a clout with a Le Creuset.

Surprisingly there is only a very small bruise and no pain!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3792 on: 26 August, 2013, 06:56:59 pm »
Emergency work has scuppered any plans I might have had of cycling the 14 miles to Mildenhall this weekend, or doing any cycling at all, in fact. Now another early start tomorrow, I am knackered and I have had no weekend.  :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3793 on: 27 August, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »
Oh great!  You're a crisp eater AND a constant sniffer.
You haven't got any cheap tinny earphones you want to put on, have you?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3794 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »
Doh!
:facepalm

« Reply #3795 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »
Doh!
: facepalm
Prophetic words then Basil?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3796 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »
Hurrumph

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3797 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »
'Excuse me, could you not use your MP3 player as it is interfering with my hearing aid. Thankyou'

(my hearing aid is a quiet room where I can hear..)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3798 on: 27 August, 2013, 02:02:14 pm »
'Excuse me, could you not use your MP3 player as it is interfering with my hearing aid. Thankyou'

(my hearing aid is a quiet room where I can hear..)

Doesn't work when it's an actual hearing aid tho.  I used to get TERRIBLE mobile interference if people even used a mobile phone in the same room as me or had them turned on receiving mast checks, calls and SMSes. People did not give a shit or turn the sodding things off even when I explained how batshit crazy it sent me.

Fortunately mobiles got less interferey and I can usually turn my hearing aid off at work and have my own office which they can't remove without me legal nobbling them which they know :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3799 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »
Tomtom, you are supposed to help me navigate. You are not supposed to:
a) take me down Swindon one way streets in the wrong direction.
b) insist that I cross the channel via the channel tunnel, even though I'm sitting in the dock yard at Dover
and c) you are definitely not supposed to plot a route from Swindon to Dover East Docks via the channel tunnel and Calais ferry
I like telling the woman ("Selina", I think) to kiss my furry butt  when I ignore her stupid turn instructions.  Tomtom is obsessed with getting you on the nearest motorway, even if it's in totally the wrong direction.  When you genuinely don't know where you're going, it can be quite good but, when it's a route you know very well, it's obvious that Selina hasn't done the journey as often as I have  :smug:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.