Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626328 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13225 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:05:54 pm »
Put a set of 32mm Marathon Supremes on my audax bike. While I was fitting them, I thought, hang on - the frame only has clearance for 28mm... maybe 30mm at a push. But since I was already mid-job, I thought why not see it through. And what do you know, they fitted nicely.

Then I measured them for a sanity check.

29mm

:facepalm:
Mind that rim width impacts actual tyre width, on 13mm wide rims I've got 25mm tyres that are 23mm wide, need 17mm rim to get 25mm on the calipers. Obviously when width is narrowed the size goes somewhere else, like in the height

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13226 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:08:46 pm »
Does this mean that grey is the new magnolia?

Isn't grey one of those colours that people reflexively use because it's not magnolia, when they're allowed to paint their own walls for the first time?  Like menstrual tomato terracotta .  Or BLACK.

Shit,

I thought I'd managed to buy a house that only had 1 wall needing redecorated but now you tell me this colour is common as muck?

I'll get round to it around the same time as I deal with the flowery wallpaper in my bedroom...

« Reply #13227 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:17:02 pm »
I saw my old house up for sale the other month and looked at the photos.   Pleased to see most of my DIY was still in place, but they'd repainted the whole place grey/black, and also ripped out the garden to lay turf.   :sick: :sick: :sick:  Sad times.

ian

« Reply #13228 on: 04 June, 2021, 01:59:07 pm »
We got giddy and painted the innards of our first house pink. I think it was supposed to be peachy, which in itself was a bad idea, but basically, once on the walls, it was like living in a floodlit vagina.

To the point, we had to paint over it (discovering the process that cheap white emulsion is cheap for a reason, eighty-two coats later, we gave up and bought the expensive stuff and finally banished our gynaecological colour scheme).

Saw the house recently on some property website, now suffering from a pointless extension, like an erection in a strip club it's probably of little use. They turned the former kitchen into a tiny office and the living room into a kitchen-diner-living room thing that ate half the garden because modern living is kitchen smells. Very white and very pointlessly contemporary. Oh look, a skylight. Just admit it's a tiny house. Yours for about £650k.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13229 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:08:06 pm »
Some friends of mine had grey walls with a yellow diagonal. In 1984.
That does sound like a photoshoot or album cover of the era. Post-industrial, wasn't that the phrase?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13230 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:11:20 pm »
Kitchens in living rooms was on of my nonos even having a full partition wall and door I don't like (but could almost tolerate)

Even with a decent powered extraction hood the grease gets everywhere and then there's smoke/heat alarms (compulsory here from next January) and my ability to set them off... (admittedly im getting better at turning the gas down after getting the pan up to temperature, I've been spoilt by halogens ability to get things to a specific temp and then shut off)

ian

« Reply #13231 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:20:47 pm »
Kitchens involve fire, smoke, and grease. I can only assume those entirely impractical open-plan 'diner' set-ups are for people who don't cook but like to create the impression that they might cook.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13232 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:33:47 pm »
My mum got a super bollocking after childsitting her god-daughter's grandchildren with their granny (mum's best friend) cos they COOKED on the cooker from scratch and the paint behind the cooker wasn't water proof...

It is indeed a show kitchen, oven and microwave only... Mostly pre-prepared food.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13233 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:38:12 pm »
Kitchens involve fire, smoke, and grease. I can only assume those entirely impractical open-plan 'diner' set-ups are for people who don't cook but like to create the impression that they might cook.

Smokers.  They don't notice.

« Reply #13234 on: 04 June, 2021, 04:08:58 pm »
Kitchens involve fire, smoke, and grease.

And sprouts and cabbage. There is no good reason to have an open plan kitchen / living area. Or, indeed, dining kitchens with sofas in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13235 on: 04 June, 2021, 04:26:49 pm »
Grey is soooo last year, green is the new grey.

You also missed the enormous clock over the mantelpiece.
Mrs C has embraced this, by painting one room grey with green.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13236 on: 04 June, 2021, 05:38:31 pm »

Having once opened a heavy smokers PC with a ticket setting "not working"...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13237 on: 04 June, 2021, 06:21:25 pm »
Grey is soooo last year, green is the new grey.

You also missed the enormous clock over the mantelpiece.

I did! All the enormous (half the wall size) clocks here are on kitchen/dining room walls.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13238 on: 04 June, 2021, 06:27:34 pm »
Kitchens in living rooms was on of my nonos even having a full partition wall and door I don't like (but could almost tolerate)

Even with a decent powered extraction hood the grease gets everywhere and then there's smoke/heat alarms (compulsory here from next January) and my ability to set them off... (admittedly im getting better at turning the gas down after getting the pan up to temperature, I've been spoilt by halogens ability to get things to a specific temp and then shut off)

Yes! Agree! I saw a lovely placed they'd spoiled by making the living room into a bedroom and adding an extension onto the kitchen and sticking a sofa and GBFO telly in it. (Ok, I suppose you could make the bedroom back into the lounge and make it a kitchen diner in that case).
Aside from the smell and stuff, what if one person wants to watch telly while the other one clatters pots and pans about? And as for sharing a room with a spinning washing machine?
It's bad enough hearing Pingu swearing at thing in the kitchen with a wall between us...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13239 on: 04 June, 2021, 06:34:10 pm »

Yes! Agree! I saw a lovely placed they'd spoiled by making the living room into a bedroom and adding an extension onto the kitchen and sticking a sofa and GBFO telly in it. (Ok, I suppose you could make the bedroom back into the lounge and make it a kitchen diner in that case).
Aside from the smell and stuff, what if one person wants to watch telly while the other one clatters pots and pans about? And as for sharing a room with a spinning washing machine?
It's bad enough hearing Pingu swearing at thing in the kitchen with a wall between us...
Student housing...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13240 on: 04 June, 2021, 06:40:35 pm »
Also, while I`m grumbling,
Yesterday the solicitor said we had an offer of £xk. (Valuation, and over the asking price). He reckoned it was to test the water and suggested he go back and ask for 5k more. I said we were happy with the offer as it stood given they were flexible with entry date. (I didn't see the point in rocking the boat for what might ultimately be negotiated to an extra 2 grand).

So why did I get an email this morning saying he'd been talking to the buyer's solicitor and they had agreed an extra whole £1000 on the initial offer?
Aren't you supposed to do what I instruct? Who told you it was alright to cook this up between you?
You've made me look like a greedy arsehole for the sake of a whole thousand pounds, which is frankly a drop in the ocean really isn't it.
If she'd turned round and said no, fuck you and fuck your property, how would that have gone?
Is that ethical?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13241 on: 04 June, 2021, 06:41:57 pm »
Student housing...

Nope, this was built over 100 years ago and the walls are lath & plaster.

« Reply #13242 on: 04 June, 2021, 07:56:28 pm »
  • Those crappy plastic wall stickers in crappy script with "Live, laugh, love!" Or some equally ghastly Clinton's card type pukeitudes

Lock her up!

[“Get out!” – Ed.]

You might find the Live, Laugh, Love thread on London's Famous London's LFGSS repays a visit.

ian

« Reply #13243 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:03:04 pm »
What really fucks me off, looking back at the pictures of our very first house, is that in the process of adding the entirely pointless extension they totally fucked over the pleasant little garden we'd cultured with a grim chunk of paved over nothing.

That garden was ironically one of the key reasons we originally bought the place. That and we could afford it, because London.

« Reply #13244 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:24:51 pm »
Oh, this reminds me of the carpet tiles in the kitchen in our old place. The previous owner was both a student (with student kitchen hygiene) and a dog owner, and the kitchen was the way out to the garden and garage. It was minging.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13245 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:25:47 pm »
You might find the Live, Laugh, Love thread on London's Famous London's LFGSS repays a visit.
Very good. But my worktops are like that. Not with white gloss cabs though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13246 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:29:58 pm »
What really fucks me off, looking back at the pictures of our very first house, is that in the process of adding the entirely pointless extension they totally fucked over the pleasant little garden we'd cultured with a grim chunk of paved over nothing.

That garden was ironically one of the key reasons we originally bought the place. That and we could afford it, because London.
I think the moral of this story might be, don't look back.

ian

« Reply #13247 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:54:16 pm »

Reminds me, sometime back when we were house hunting I went to see this house that was evidently inhabited by people who took their smoking very seriously and hadn't re-decorated since the house was built in the 1930s. Everything was coated with a lutinous layer of tar. The walls, the ceilings, the windows, the doors, the carpets. Everything was a lymphatic yellow. As I walked across the linoleum from the back door, I could feel the floor sticking to my shoes, like the house had plans for anyone who ventured within. The carpet looked like Exxon had sponsored it. The entire place reeked like someone had smoked an old man on a pyre of toxic waste. Reminded me of my grandparent's house. It was awful. It was worse for the estate agent, a young woman perched on splendidly vertiginous pink heels that she was singly unwilling to sacrifice to that carpet. If I'd had those shoes, I wouldn't have either. It probably needs redecorating she opined from the threshold of the back door. I couldn't go any further either. She confided, back on the safer ground of the driveway, that the last time she's shown the place she'd opened the back door to be greeted by a large pile of dog crap in the middle of the kitchen floor. Giant, she said, spreading her arms to indicate something of such a size that you wouldn't merely step around but take on supplies and circumnavigate. I had to go home and shower.

ian

« Reply #13248 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:05:08 pm »

I think the moral of this story might be, don't look back.

True enough, but it's a bit sad, it was a nice secluded green space that we'd enjoyed many a summer evening in, now reduced to a small square of dead paving.

I told a lie about the price, it was only £518k. Those photos tell biggly lies, nothing in that house was close to as big as it looks in those photos, ask our cat Lamb Chop (you will need a ouija board) who would have had strong opinions on being swung on any of those rooms. Even in the main bedroom, you had to move the bed to open the wardrobe. But it was ours.

Oh and those replacement uPVC windows. The absolute fuck of it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13249 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:29:26 pm »
Student housing...

Nope, this was built over 100 years ago and the walls are lath & plaster.
It's what landlords have done to the posh tenements in Dundees West end, 2 bed flats turned into 3 by ditching the living room in favour of a sofa in the kitchen.