Author Topic: 11 inch chromebook CB3 -131 - when android - if ever?  (Read 1661 times)

11 inch chromebook CB3 -131 - when android - if ever?
« on: 14 July, 2019, 04:48:23 pm »
Bit of a longshot.

Anyone got one?

And if so got any inside track on when it might get Android apps?

I know there is this page:

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

It's been saying it's planned for ages.

But I don't think anything on that page has changed for ages.

And I know of at least one acer chromebook which do do Android which aren't even listed there.

There is by the by, a genuine cycling angle to the question - I would like to run OSMandplus on my 11 inch chromebook - would be handy for tours. My 14/15 inch chromebook was updated to android functionality some time ago so have been practicing on that - all works well - but it's a bit big to tour with.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: 11 inch chromebook CB3 -131 - when android - if ever?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2019, 05:04:52 pm »
Bit of a longshot.

Anyone got one?

I have.

And if so got any inside track on when it might get Android apps?

No.

I've been waiting so long I've come to the conclusion it's unlikely ever to get them. It'll be a pleasant surprise if it ever does.

Meanwhile I've extended its capabilities by installing crosh & xfce so I can use linux software (usually gimp, rawtherapee) in addition to normal chromebook stuff.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2019, 06:57:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply salvatore, even if not exactly encouraging.

I guess it's not a priority for google as it's quite an old machine by now.

Though I am not techie enough to really understand why it can be done on some units and is apparently more of an issue with others. After all, both my chromebooks seem to have the same capabilities/power on the face if it.

I don't think i will be buying another machine while these two are both running fine. Maybe I'll invest in bigger panniers and take the bigger one.

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2019, 09:59:53 pm »
Have switched mine to beta OS in the vain hope that it might speed things Salvatore.

Will post here if anything of import happens or I learn anything.

Perhaps you could do the same - I should get an email notification if there are any postings on this thread.

Fingers crossed - I do like the CB3-131 - particularly as I got it new for £99 delivered.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:02:38 am »
I've gone one further than beta and am using the dev OS, but only because it's a prerequisite for installing crouton and running linux side-by-side with Chrome OS.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2019, 11:16:00 am »
For what it's worth I had an email exchange with Acer support.

They were quite responsive but could give no indication when (if ever) the 131 might get Android support, other than pointing me at the self same list on the web.

They also couldn't give any info about whether there would ever be any android capability for the CB3-132 which is not on that list at all. The release date of that machine was apparently 11-02-2015 - after the 131 I think?

My 131 has just updated again on beta and still no signs of android - it should appear after "search" in settings I think.

I still live in hope - very frequently on switching it on I check for updates.

It is a wonderful little machine though - in some ways I prefer it to my larger one.

Hardly bigger than a 10 inch tab and far more versatile.

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2019, 09:46:09 am »
Well it's never going to happen.

For I see from here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

that come January 2021, barely more than a year away, security updates will stop for the thing.

Only just found out that this will happen to Chromebooks - not best pleased - will start another thread on it.

edit:

here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=113359.0