Author Topic: An Austrian and a German in St Malo  (Read 3542 times)

LEE

An Austrian and a German in St Malo
« on: 11 June, 2012, 03:18:13 pm »
Don't know who they are I was chatting to them, Gert & Sara, in St Malo.

They were riding Rohloff bikes, he had a handbuilt trailer (using parts from a Bob Yak) full of Kite Surfing gear and a huge alloy trunk.

They were on their way to Le Havre and then to South America.

I told them about YACF so maybe they will get to see these images at some point.

Re: An Austrian and a German in St Malo
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2012, 08:36:37 pm »
He is cycling in cleated Crocs? ........and what size is that tent on the other bike?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »
Do they understand each other?  The Austrian must be speaking Höhedeutsch.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:52:23 am »
Thanks for sharing ... that is some load.

Andrew

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »
I sawed them, at the American War Cemetary, last Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday, might have been Monday).

Didn't chat asI had a major dose of CBAs at the time (especially as we had just been ignored at a cafe because a group of 13 'Merkins had walked in at the same time, so no caffeine :( )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2012, 04:38:57 pm »
That would've been Monday. (Remember, 'If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium . . .')  :-\

And yes! That was a SERIOUS amount of kit for a trailer!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »
Hey guys, its us! For sure we kept the forum in mind and we are happy surprised to find our picture here:-)
In deed the trailer and both bikes are heavy loaded, but we still feel fine !!!
recently we had to change our route, our freightcruises have been canceled and so we had to find another way to go over the ocean, without taking a plane...
and now we are coming to u!!! to dover and hiding to southampton to catch the Queen Mary 2 (can u imagine its cheaper than the freightcruises!!!). We have new problems now, we are totally underdressed,so  if someone of u lives on our route in england and have some old dress which u dont need any more.. for the captains dinner, tell us!!!please!!!:-)
we would also be happy to just meet up!
Here is our blog, if someone is interested, unfortunately in german:
www.kiteandbike.eu
any tipps for southengland for us, would be very helpful!!!
cheers,
Gert and Sara!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »
Cool! And not just the Crocs...

Do they understand each other?  The Austrian must be speaking Höhedeutsch.
Well they're blog says she's from the Black Forest so southern Germany, which means they're no further apart linguistically than a Geordie and a Glaswegian. Hmmm!

(probably nowhere like that difference I'd have thought)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »
Hey guys, its us! For sure we kept the forum in mind and we are happy surprised to find our picture here:-)
recently we had to change our route, our freightcruises have been canceled and so we had to find another way to go over the ocean, without taking a plane...
and now we are coming to u!!! to dover and hiding to southampton to catch the Queen Mary 2 (can u imagine its cheaper than the freightcruises!!!). We have new problems now, we are totally underdressed,so  if someone of u lives on our route in england and have some old dress which u dont need any more.. for the captains dinner, tell us!!!please!!!:-)
www.kiteandbike.eu
cheers,
Gert and Sara!
Hi Gert & Sara!

I've had a little look at your blog and made a comment on your home page.

As you are crossing at Dover you don't come very near me but if you find yourself crossing from Hook of Holland to Harwich then I can help out as I live near Harwich (eastern England, north of London).

In England we have shops called Charity Shops where you can buy clothes easily. If people don't want their clothes any more they give them to the shops and the shops can sell them and give the money to charity (Verband). You can often find really good things in those shops for only a few Euros, so if you pass one it is worth looking. They are in most towns and will have a charity name on them and often have lots of old books outside. Charity names might be RSPCA, British Heart Foundation, Marie Curie Cancer Care, Sue Ryder Care and more.

Viel Glück!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »
www.kiteandbike.eu
cheers,
Gert and Sara!

Hi Gert & Sara, it is a small World.

What is your route & schedule to Southampton?

Normally the people on YACF are happy to ride with other cyclists and act as local guides.

If you publish your schedule on here then we can see if anyone is local to your route. (I am not so far from Southampton)

(YACF members need to remember your huge trailer when finding a route, possibly avoiding the worst hills of the South Downs in Sussex and Hampshire)

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2012, 03:30:04 pm »
CROCS are the best cycle shoes ever!!! :demon: :-*

about the journay to southampton: we dont know the exact route we will take.
On sunday we arrive in Dover, and we try to cycle along the coastline (because of kitesurfing) and want to stay a few days in brighton.
we dont need to stress...
any advices for nice camping spaces, kitesurfing spots, beautiful routes ...would be nice...
cheers,
sara and gert!

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2012, 08:28:39 pm »
I started a new thread asking for route suggestions

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61121.0