Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2959732 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #15100 on: 02 February, 2013, 08:52:53 pm »
Can ANYTHING be done?

« Reply #15101 on: 02 February, 2013, 08:56:23 pm »
I'll ask "Gary" next time he calls with an "advisory" call about PPI misselling  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

JJ

« Reply #15102 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »
I have been known to put Nano-J on to have a, doubtless confusing but always lengthy, chat with them.  Mrs J does not approve.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15103 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:31:23 pm »
I either speak quickly and politely tell them to go forth and multiply then put the phone down before they can get a word in, or start asking them for their names, DoBs, account passwords etc. as I need to 'establish their identity'.

The results can be quite fun with the latter as they don't understand what's going on.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15104 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:52:11 pm »
My response to 'Eric' this morning was "GO AWAY" <click> within about 2 seconds of him starting his patter.
Still disturbed David though.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #15105 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
Can ANYTHING be done?

We were planning with our geeky system of having a Turing Test on the line so "press 1 if you want to speak to Helly & David - this is to stop spammers" etc, and then people you know can pass and the spammers fail.  Asterisk also allows day/night versions so you could set it not to allow calls through during sleeptimes in various ways.

With standard BT I don't know what can be done, complain to OfCom and ICO a lot cos they will if they get thousands of complaints hunt down UK companies using this get out clause.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15106 on: 02 February, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15107 on: 03 February, 2013, 01:43:56 am »
Can ANYTHING be done?

My solution to this is I have a landline (for broadband) but don't keep a phone plugged in to it. Everyone I actually want to speak to has my mobile number. In the event I want to make a free 0800 call I plug the phone in to make it. Cuts nuisance calls to zero!

rr

« Reply #15108 on: 03 February, 2013, 10:47:11 am »
Man with big aggressive looking poorly controlled dog who screams at it outside our house in the morning - I had already concluded that you were trying to make up for your deficiencies by the very nature of to dog. The fact that you have named it after a convicted rapist (Tyson) confirms that you are a cockwomble out of the top drawer.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15109 on: 04 February, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »
Oi! Yell, or people acting on your behalf, STOP FUCKING WELL CALLING US, OK? It is a private number, not a business, and, more importantly, we do not and nver will, have an account with you, ok?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15110 on: 04 February, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »
Can ANYTHING be done?

My solution to this is I have a landline (for broadband) but don't keep a phone plugged in to it. Everyone I actually want to speak to has my mobile number. In the event I want to make a free 0800 call I plug the phone in to make it. Cuts nuisance calls to zero!

I don't think I could do this. My bedside phone is a HYOOGE fax that copes well with my being unable to roll over. When I've taken my mobile upstairs, I've usually dropped it before I can answer it.

« Reply #15111 on: 05 February, 2013, 05:41:58 pm »

Stupid f***ing patient, stop whinging, take responsibility for your body/health/care.

tiermat

« Reply #15112 on: 07 February, 2013, 08:51:30 am »
Stupid ebayer.

Before emailing someone who is selling a bike frame to say "It can't be that size", take a look at what else they are selling, yes? Maybe that way you will see that the majority of the other bikes/frames he is selling are that size.  You will also be able to deduce that he know what he is doing, so saying something like "Looking at the photo that can't be a Xcm, it must be a X-2cm or maybe a X-4cm frame".

Fuck off, ok, even if you bid now, I shall just cancel your bid, maybe then you will learn to maybe think, then email, not the other way around.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15113 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
Lotus Notes!!! >:(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15114 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
The 90s called - they want their software back.

(I have no experience of Notes myself, but over the course of my career to date I have encountered the tattered remains of many unfortunate souls who have had it inflicted upon them)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15115 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:35:18 pm »

(I have no experience of Notes myself, but over the course of my career to date I have encountered the tattered remains of many unfortunate souls who have had it inflicted upon them)

Nasty thing.  In a previous life I had to use it for documenting Big Stuffs :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15116 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:38:42 pm »

I think Lotus would object to describing their software as from the 90's. Come to think of it so do I, I have worked with two large firms who use notes, one for their corporate email client the other for their main document control tool. I didn't graduate till 2004! and only started working in industry in 2007.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15117 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »

I think Lotus would object to describing their software as from the 90's. Come to think of it so do I, I have worked with two large firms who use notes, one for their corporate email client the other for their main document control tool. I didn't graduate till 2004! and only started working in industry in 2007.

I'd agree. It came out in 1989.

« Reply #15118 on: 07 February, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Much as I want to hate Lotus Notes, now that I work for a huuuuuge multinational with a head office in India, 47,000 employees in the UK with a good few hundred here in London, and lots of offices worldwide, it is the calendar system with the most graceful handling of timezones.  Outlook/Exchange was a bit of a kludge with add ons etc.

If you are the PA to someone hardly in the office and travelling in multiple time zones, trust me, it just works.

I do occasionally scream at it for its other quirks though.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15119 on: 07 February, 2013, 02:22:20 pm »
Wot Mr. L sed plus, try driving/accessing Lotus Notes from VB (4 or 5 IIRC) using OLE automation.  Ackcherlee don't bother,  it really isn't worth the pain.  *Shudders at memory*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

tiermat

« Reply #15120 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:59:22 am »
Ebay buyers.

Do you realise just how STUPID you make yourself look when you ask questions that are clearly answered in the text of the listing?

Now stop fucking asking me WHAT FUCKING SIZE THE FRAME IS, it is there, in black on white, not red on green, or any other combination that might cause issues for some readers.  All the frames also have the frame size in the FIRST LINE OF THE DESCRIPTION...

Next one I get like this will be ignored.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15121 on: 08 February, 2013, 11:00:07 am »
What size is the frame?
Getting there...

« Reply #15122 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:39:56 am »
Notes bashing is a good sport,  but having a central database-centred app that integrates mail, calendar, presence/chat, applications (eg expense approvals, claiming, holidays, document manglement - Yeah, notes doesn't do a good job on document management) leaves it streets ahead of the only competition for productivity. 'taint perfect by a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng chalk, but it works.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15123 on: 09 February, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »
Self, I know that doing some baking to make use of idle lurgy time is good, but next time pay attention to what the actions of the butter and the knife are telling you!
Chopping the end of your thumb off renders it fairly useless for the rubbing in part of pastry making you bloody numpty.

*waits for return of Pingu to finish making pastry, hankers after unmade scones*  :-[  :'(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15124 on: 09 February, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »
Fucking Games Workshop, & fucking publishers of music, films, & just about enything else. How DARE you try to claim that a term that was around long before your firm even existed can be your trademark! "Space Marine" was used by Heinlein in a published work not just before your firm existed, but before any of its founders were born. I read the bloody books before your firm was founded. And yet you have the temerity to claim that you own the term, not only as a trademark for gaming, but for all published works! If there's any copyright in it, it belonged to Robert Heinlein at the time you claimed it, you evil, money-grubbing, dishonest, bullying, bastards, & your trademark claim infringed that. And Amazon - FUCK OFF! Can't you afford lawyers? Are you really such lazy, careless, cowardly gits that you'd rather succumb supinely to spurious claims of ownership by such sleazy slimeballs than tell them to stuff their heads where they belong? What is this? No claims of corporate copyright can be questioned? Bah! Humbug! I spit on your corporate crap! Test it in court, you grovelling gits! Games Workshop would back down in an instant (or as soon as it'd got legal advice, whichever was sooner), if anyone with enough cash to take it to court challenged it. It's bollocks. But you're on the side of copyrighting or trademarking everything, aren't you, you spineless scumbags? What next? We'll have to pay you royalties when we mention a river in Brazil?

PS. Even Heinlein (in 1939) wasn't the first. There were published stories using the term "Space Marine" as early as 1932.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897