Author Topic: writing a ride report  (Read 1786 times)

writing a ride report
« on: 21 June, 2021, 06:42:43 pm »
Is it possible on this forum to write part of a posting, save it and continue at a later time?. I'd like to try posting a ride report and as I'm not a very quick either typist or thinker it might take a few  attempts. Thanks for any help. Don't assume I know a lot about the workings of this laptop.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: writing a ride report
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:47:32 pm »
Not unless it’s been concealed most cunningly.  Write it in a text editor or word processor* and copy'n'paste when you’re happy with it?

* Or, if you’re a middle manager, Excel
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:48:23 pm »
Is it possible on this forum to write part of a posting, save it and continue at a later time?. I'd like to try posting a ride report and as I'm not a very quick either typist or thinker it might take a few  attempts. Thanks for any help. Don't assume I know a lot about the workings of this laptop.
Write it in a email addressed to yourself.
Save it as a draft.
When you are ready to post it, copy and paste the contents of your email into your post on here.

ETA - Or do as the bear ^ says.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:57:50 pm »
When out touring I often used the email client on my phone to write the day to day ride. Then when at home or at a location with good internet I will join these emails up into a blog post. Or as Mr L said a simple text editor will do the job as good, until you are ready to make it public.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:00:10 pm »
Write it in the recumbents board, 'cos no-one will see it there.  Then edit it later  :demon:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:01:16 pm »
I use a text editor (notepad++ in my case), and let it brew in there for a while.
I'll come back to it a few times with revisions before ICBA doing any more, then copy n paste.

« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:04:47 pm »
Or simply start writing it in the Ride Reports board and stop when you get bored. Then come back and edit the post later. Or write Part 2.

Do the soap opera / Dickens / Hardy thing and finish each part with a cliff-hanging moment.
Rust never sleeps

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:07:41 pm »
Oh, and an un-asked for piece of editorial advice: in a ride report, try to avoid too much reporting of the actual riding...

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:09:34 pm »
For long ride reports it sometimes helps to split it into sequential posts.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:34:19 pm »
Google Keep is handy for writing quick notes. Can create multiple notes if you want to split it into sections etc. Works nicely on a phone or tablet or desktop, all saved automatically and synced between them.

« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:29:22 am »
If you’re happier collecting your thoughts on paper then do that, and make the typing a simple (depending on your handwriting) transcription task.

Similarly, though for different reasons I have a paper notebook I use as a diary for tours, which is then the basis for a ride report / blog.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:33:43 am »
Sending yourself a PM is about as good as I can think of if you want to stay purely on yacf. It sticks to the same BB code, and so it's pretty easy to copy the report across to a post when you are ready.

If it's for a multi day ride I'd also advise writing a report in serial posts as hatler suggests. It breaks up the report for the reader, and gives time for you to form the next bit. It's also how www.crazyguyonabike.com reports are written, which is one of the sites that got me into cycle touring.

I haven't done a report (or a tour) for a while :-[ but I used to do a day or two at a time. My style is normally a few pictures with some text to string the day together (CGOAB style), but there are some brilliantly written reports in the ride reports board with descriptions that really make you feel like you were there, and what the rider was thinking as they went :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2021, 11:49:42 am »
When out on tour, I just use pen and paper.  It's convenient and can be written at any time.   I like flipping back though my notebooks, but have never published them as I fear others will find it too lengthy or boring.

If I have been on a long ride and writing it up afterwards, then as Mr Larrington says then write it in your normal preference (word processor/text editor) and when happy paste it up.   This is also my approach to much of my work related stuff, as I dislike sharing documentation until it is fully polished (whereas other colleagues like to keep it published as a "working draft".

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2021, 12:06:02 pm »
Although be advised that at least with Microsith Word, what you see may not be what you get when you copy'n'paste.  Like Feanor, I tend to use notepad++ for composition, paste it into the Automatic Diary and then slap the photos and formatting on to before:
* publishing, and
* noticing all the typos
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime