Author Topic: what 3 words  (Read 60103 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: what 3 words
« Reply #250 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:35:25 am »
No navigation app was however required to locate a heat stress casualty on An Teallach last weekend as TMRT were out there on a training exercise, and were the next group along.

Conveniently for the casualty "Slightly surprised patient to find an mrt on the hill just behind them with a paramedic and doctor. New top tip for keeping fluid cold in the heat. Frozen capri suns. Still half
frozen at 2 in the afternoon."
Friend shared that along with pictures of R151

My main hiking partner in the UK was a member of the local SAR team. We had an understanding that if we had an accident, we couldn't call out SAR, as he'd never live it down. Fortunately we never had to test this.

J
Tbh, if I phoned up the SAS and they asked me for a W3W location it sounds like I'd be better hanging up and phoning the Polis
My hiking clubs normal times meeting place is the pub owned by one of the local MRT team leaders, we have team members in the club, and we've had a couple of members rescued by them (new members for our buggered ankle sub-club).

As far as I'm aware those sets do not intersect, maybe they'd beg for one of the neighbouring MRT teams to be sent off patch.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #251 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:10:37 pm »
No navigation app was however required to locate a heat stress casualty on An Teallach last weekend as TMRT were out there on a training exercise, and were the next group along.

Conveniently for the casualty "Slightly surprised patient to find an mrt on the hill just behind them with a paramedic and doctor. New top tip for keeping fluid cold in the heat. Frozen capri suns. Still half

My main hiking partner in the UK was a member of the local SAR team. We had an understanding that if we had an accident, we couldn't call out SAR, as he'd never live it down. Fortunately we never had to test this.

J
Tbh, if I phoned up the SAS and they asked me for a W3W location it sounds like I'd be better hanging up and phoning the Polis
My hiking clubs normal times meeting place is the pub owned by one of the local MRT team leaders, we have team members in the club, and we've had a couple of members rescued by them (new members for our buggered ankle sub-club).

As far as I'm aware those sets do not intersect, maybe they'd beg for one of the neighbouring MRT teams to be sent off patch.

If you need rescuing by the SAS you’ve got bigger problems to deal with.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #252 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:11:47 pm »

J

If you need rescuing by the SAS you’ve got bigger problems to deal with.
Scottish Ambulance Service.
Fun with acronyms

I'd be disappointed if the Special Air Service needed anything more than the sound of the wind passing over my phones microphone to find me.

« Reply #253 on: 05 September, 2021, 11:25:49 am »
Just discovered a cool widget for my Garmin smartwatch that converts GPS data into OS lat long.  I have installed it and will test it later.

I understand that it will work on numerous Garmin devices that allow the download of widgets.

« Reply #254 on: 05 September, 2021, 12:13:49 pm »
OS grid references are a built in feature on most Garmins, don't need to install anything.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #255 on: 05 September, 2021, 12:58:25 pm »
Just discovered a cool widget for my Garmin smartwatch that converts GPS data into OS lat long.  I have installed it and will test it later.

I understand that it will work on numerous Garmin devices that allow the download of widgets.
Set Dual Grid as one of the Hot Keys
Settings->System->Hot Keys
Then
Settings->System->Format->Pos. Format->British Grid
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #256 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:35:33 pm »
OS grid references are a built in feature on most Garmins, don't need to install anything.

Yep been available on consumer GPS for over 20 years now. Together with the map datums for most countries. You want coordinates to match French IGN map grids? No problem etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #257 on: 05 September, 2021, 01:54:48 pm »

Yep been available on consumer GPS for over 20 years now. Together with the map datums for most countries. You want coordinates to match French IGN map grids? No problem etc.

Possibly not on the PE watches, though?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #258 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:01:10 pm »

Possibly not on the PE watches, though?
PBs PE watch is a Fenix 6 (as is mine) and OS Grid is there along with all the others :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #259 on: 05 September, 2021, 05:30:45 pm »
Thanks for the knowledge folks.  I'll find it in native garmin PE and then ditch the widget. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #260 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:05:59 pm »
Saw three partygoers from an event on the Downs wandering homewards. Or to somewhere, I don't know, but judging from appearance and general direction they were probably students trying to get back to the halls. They were very close but were arguing amongst themselves about the direction. I don't know whether any was using w3w but they were all peering at their phones, which were evidently giving them contrary instructions.

Heh, it's not a proper party unless you either get lost on the way home or wake up somewhere, and maybe with someone, unknown!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #261 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:18:12 pm »
Does W3W do directions?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #262 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:26:42 pm »
Not as far as I know. I don't know if they were getting directions or just heading for a location their own way; quite likely a mixture.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #263 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:47:40 pm »
I expect that [insert name of popular mapping app] makes a confusing mess of the various non-vehicle-access paths that can be used to access University Hall and Shite Bunker from Hollybush Lane.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #264 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:14:21 pm »
3m x 3m squares, if I've correctly remembered the dimensions, mean you can distinguish not only Shite Bunker from Johnson's Idol Hell, not only different blocks within those, not only individual rooms within each block, but different corners of your own student room. fake.concentration.lolz is your desk, musty.stink.fugg is your bed, etc...

(They hadn't got as far as Hollybush Lane, they were wandering around the multi-million mansions on Julian Road)

« Reply #265 on: 15 September, 2021, 07:49:23 am »

Set Dual Grid as one of the Hot Keys
Settings->System->Hot Keys
Then
Settings->System->Format->Pos. Format->British Grid

Well, that went well. 

After disabling and deleting the widget I noticed that suddenly battery consumption was through the roof.  It's difficult to tell with a smartwatch just what is gobbling up juice but I realised that if I selected an activity satellite lock was instant.  This implied to me that for some reason gps was always on.  I couldn't find a way to turn gps off so I turned the watch off and then on again instead.

That sorted the issue.

Bloody tech.  The very lovely 1:25,000 map we bought is still working perfectly of course ...   :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #266 on: 09 November, 2021, 02:30:33 pm »
Iain Campbell, AF&RS Station Manager, said: “The police received a call in the early hours of the morning from someone who was concerned about the safety and welfare of their friend.

"Using WhatsApp and What3Words, the caller gave Police details of the last known location of their friend, a remote area of farmland with rivers and streams nearby. It was dark, there was fog, and the temperature was colder than normal.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/incredible-photo-drone-finds-missing-6180615

« Reply #267 on: 21 January, 2022, 06:31:33 pm »
Latest update to the W3W app on the iPhone allows you to display lat/long or OS National Grid references as well as their own.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #268 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:17:31 pm »
Android too

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #269 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:46:53 am »
I went to see sleeper in ditches and eater of strange things, Ray Mears last night (see also Grumble thread). Anyhoo, he was talking about being aware of youir surroundings, using senses ect ect. He played a video clip by Derbyshire Police Wildlife Crime unit, showing what look for in the way of Wildlife Crime (badger baiting, hare coursing etc) and that photos (taken without putting yourself in danger) are a really useful tool. All nicely informative.

At the end of the clip Mears then told us how great what 3 words was in helping to record the locations of such suspected crimes, neatly forgetting/ignoring the fact that any photo taken on a smart phone will have location data added to it automagically.  Presumably he's getting paid for such promotion.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #270 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:52:46 am »
At the end of the clip Mears then told us how great what 3 words was in helping to record the locations of such suspected crimes, neatly forgetting/ignoring the fact that any photo taken on a smart phone will have location data added to it automagically.  Presumably he's getting paid for such promotion.

Not true. Many people turn that off intentionally for security reasons.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #271 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:59:32 am »

Not true. Many people turn that off intentionally for security reasons.

J
Good point. Is "it's trivial to attach location data to a photo taken on a smart phone without resorting to a third party app" more accurate? 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #272 on: 01 April, 2022, 12:02:37 pm »
Good point. Is "it's trivial to attach location data to a photo taken on a smart phone without resorting to a third party app" more accurate?

Not really.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #273 on: 01 April, 2022, 05:53:07 pm »
Surely on most phones location is differentially configurable by app? So you can allow the camera to record location while denying it to others, if you so want. Though your phone surely knows where it is all the time, as long as it's receiving a signal, so I'm not sure how much security you're getting yourself anyway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #274 on: 01 April, 2022, 05:57:55 pm »
The security isn't so much that you don't trust the camera app, but that you don't want to inadvertently share your location by forgetting to redact the EXIF data from some otherwise non-location-revealing photo before sharing it.