Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 392734 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1750 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:54:52 am »
this thing is mental! 250kph, that's faster than the Cessna I did my air cadet flying in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6D47Lkfcw
That must be terrifying to fly.  With R/C you usually have a throttle so at least you can back off to a tickover and give your brain cells a rest!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1751 on: 16 August, 2020, 06:00:34 pm »
According to RadarBox G-UHGB (actually a 79 Bell 205A but looking awfully like a Huey) complete with the trademark WOP-WOP-WOP, passed over Torslanda Towers approximately an hour ago.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1752 on: 17 August, 2020, 05:18:05 am »
The Bell 205 is the civilian version of the Huey.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1753 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:55:08 am »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1754 on: 17 August, 2020, 02:15:56 pm »
Quote from: Andrij
... BV 141...
I'd forgotten about those.  I remember considering buying the Airfix kit a very, very long time ago.  Can't remember why I didn't.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1755 on: 17 August, 2020, 02:26:57 pm »
The asymmetrical BV 141

Nazi Germany seemed to come up with so many engagingly bonkers æroplanes you almost have to force yourself to remember that they were, first and foremost, Nazis.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1756 on: 17 August, 2020, 09:13:37 pm »
I've had worse Monday mornings

« Reply #1757 on: 17 August, 2020, 09:31:35 pm »
bstd!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1758 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:15:20 pm »
bstd!

Maybe slightly less so if you factored in the possibility of having to carry out an autorotation in that terrain.

Not that I'm jealous or anything...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1759 on: 18 August, 2020, 06:00:44 am »
Are congratulations in order? Looks like you’ve gone solo?

Or did you just keep it quiet?

« Reply #1760 on: 18 August, 2020, 06:37:52 am »
Are congratulations in order? Looks like you’ve gone solo?

Or did you just keep it quiet?

Me? Quiet about flying?  Hardly
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40516.msg2523127#msg2523127
(Thanks, though!)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1761 on: 18 August, 2020, 08:22:49 am »
Missed that one! So belated congratulations!

« Reply #1762 on: 18 August, 2020, 10:24:16 am »
Not sure whether to put this in here or in CTRL-ALT-DEL but it feels more related here.

After 14 years Microsoft have launched the new Microsoft Flight Simulator today. I've been using FSX since 2006 when it was released and have had all previous versions back to FS98 (I did have FS4 on a really old machine but never went very far with it). The new sim looks amazing but I can't buy it yet as my computer is nowhere near powerful enough so I'm thinking all N+1 on computers now.

It even made it onto the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-53811956

Oh and very impressive Jakob - not jealous at all
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #1763 on: 18 August, 2020, 03:37:56 pm »
I've seen some of the demos on YouTube. Its very pretty. Instead of using locally stored files for scenery it uses a massive load of compute in a Microsoft cloud to auto generate 3d buildings etc on the fly and then overlay it over 2d satellite imagery. They also hand modelled some famous places.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1764 on: 19 August, 2020, 06:38:29 am »
So can it be played offline? I was looking acquisitively at it as well a few days ago having had previous versions.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1765 on: 19 August, 2020, 08:59:59 am »
I understand you can create a cache of a local area of your choice which can be played offline. I don't know how big that area is

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1766 on: 19 August, 2020, 09:11:01 am »
I've been quite heavily involved in flight sim development for MAIW for some time (FS9/FSX, P3D to v5). I didn't do Alpha or Beta testing for FS20; for some reason I didn't fit the profile. However, I have it on my system and I can confirm that it's fully functional offline. As Traekker says, you can cache scenery areas if you want, but the default non-photoreal scenery is acceptable if your main focus is to exploit the improvements in flight dynamics.

It's far from a finished product, however, and it will develop sifnificantly over time. As in all the sims I mentioned above, it will be dependent on an active network of commercial and freeware developers to flesh it out,and some have already revealed their initial products. The relatively small collection of default aeroplanes is fine, but will be far surpassed by addon products from Aerosoft, PMDG, Milviz etc.

« Reply #1767 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:27:28 am »
Have you tried X-Plane Tim? The flight dynamics are supposed to be a lot better as it works out the dynamics of the aerofoils on the fly rather than using lookup tables of how a plane should behave at a particular speed or angle of attack.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TimC

« Reply #1768 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:57:17 am »
I have X-Plane 10. While there's lots of high-brow intellectual debate over which sim is more accurate, I was never that impressed with how X-Plane flew. The old MSFS flight models aren't as complex as XP (the new one is much, much more complex), but they produced a decent facsimile of aerodynamic flight, though maybe not so much for helicopters. However, third-party developers managed to get around the limitations of MSFS/P3D by effectively taking all the complex stuff offboard, and using the sim as essentially a method of displaying the results in a graphical format that you could understand as flight. FS20's aerodynamic modelling uses around 100 real-time data streams which, in theory, will make for a better aircraft feel - but I'm not that impressed so far with the result in the default aircraft. I suspect that is because Asobo (the developer) are not experienced pilots, but learned to fly as part of the development process and were over-aware of the dynamic environment, so the result is that the default aircraft are too twitchy - because that's how it feels to a new student pilot. I expect the third-party aircraft to be much better.

All that said, my interest is in the world environment, not the flying experience. I see these flight sims as analogous to a model railway, in that you create a complex moving simulation of a complete area. Hence my association with MAIW.

« Reply #1769 on: 19 August, 2020, 12:03:21 pm »
MAIW?

« Reply #1770 on: 19 August, 2020, 12:04:40 pm »
There's several posts so far on various forums that the default aircraft climb rates and cruise speeds don't seem very accurate. They might iron some of that out during the development

TimC

« Reply #1772 on: 20 August, 2020, 01:20:07 am »
I use X-Plane a fair bit, mostly for procedural training. Since the new MSFS does have the fixed wing plane I'm currently (also) getting checked out on (DA-20), I suspect I'll probably get it.  Biggest issue with MSFS, is limited VR support and no helicopters.

TimC

« Reply #1773 on: 20 August, 2020, 04:13:25 am »
I use X-Plane a fair bit, mostly for procedural training. Since the new MSFS does have the fixed wing plane I'm currently (also) getting checked out on (DA-20), I suspect I'll probably get it.  Biggest issue with MSFS, is limited VR support and no helicopters.

Yet.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1774 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:50:31 am »
Interestingly, a very cheap way to play with it and see if you like it is to pay for the Microsoft Game Pass, £1 for the first month and £3.99 thereafter, that's 15 months of decision time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens