Author Topic: Bath Time…..  (Read 2961 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Bath Time…..
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:21:46 pm »
If you like ecclesiastical things, then there is the Cathedral, and if you arrive by train, St Mary Radcliffe.

A harbour tour by boat, or a boat taxi (rather than the long circular walk referenced up thread)

If you like kittehs and beer this is a must. (available on the circular walk...)
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:05:45 am »
Wot he sed. The tour of the Suspension Bridge which takes you down into the vaults is worth it, but you have to book ahead and I don't think it runs often. The Bag of Nails landlord has a reputation for being grumpy, which might suit you – or your sister. The Lord Mayor's chapel on College Green opposite the Cathedral is worth a look, if it's open. It's quite small and easily overlooked. Also St John's in the Wall. Which is where it says it is, built into the medieval city wall. https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/st-john-on-the-wall-bristol.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #27 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:09:29 am »
The Lord Mayor’s Chapel is Thu to Sat, I believe. Shame because it is a surprising little gem.

« Reply #28 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:07:37 am »
The Museum of Bath at Work is good if you like industrial stuff from the past:

The main bulk of the Museum of Bath at Work’s collection is the J.B.Bowler collection, an amazing reconstruction of an entire business that was saved by local businessman Russell Frears in the late 1960’s.

Bowler’s was a shop that supplied practically almost anything to the industries of Bath, from nuts and bolts to fittings and brass works. What was even more extraordinary about Bowler’s and thus the items that were saved, was that nothing seems to have been thrown away from the time it began in the 1860’s! Next door there was also the family owned Mineral Water factory, and this too was saved piece by piece.

You can even try on Bowler's old bowler(hat) and take a selfie.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #29 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:42:02 pm »
Well we got the train to Bristol & wandered down to the docks, which appear to have been replaced by numerous vertical drinking places & cheap restaurants.  A small ferry over to the other side & a couple of hours poking around the SS Great Britain.  Alison has previous for climbing the masts after 2 tall ship voyages, but she was younger then, so decided against it.   The steerage accommodation must have been the 19th century equivalent of Ryanair…. I bashed my head on a low doorway as well.

Back into the city & an art installation of mylar bubbles on College Green.  The cathedral has gone full Woke with multiple panels regarding the city’s history with slavery & comments about Colston. 

We walked back to the station via Corn St, which I imagine would be lively of an evening. 

Back to Bath for steak & chips at the Green Park Brasserie.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2024, 11:28:50 pm »
What did you think of the SS GB? We’ve been a few times and I often recommend it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #31 on: 02 February, 2024, 02:07:03 pm »
Saw the Mylar bubbles last night...

and, although you have been to Bristol already, something I forgot to suggest, the Bristol Old Vic, which recently opened up the foyer area to reveal some of the original brickwork of the longest continuously operating theatre in the UK.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2024, 02:05:19 pm »
Turdtowns on YouTube has just done Twerton, the side of Bath everyone pretends isn't there.  They also found a weapons-grade local "character".

https://youtu.be/B1bVycpcff8?si=XbfOIQoMkK9FnBlt
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #33 on: 04 February, 2024, 02:34:49 pm »
IQ North of 180, and 5,000 gallons of industrial bleach. Those were my takeaways.

« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2024, 07:26:21 pm »
Isn’t a great deal of England like that these days?

We didn’t visit Twerton but what we did see of the city, the touristy parts, we found rather disappointing and run down.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 04 February, 2024, 09:38:30 pm »
Many, (many, many) years ago, we lived on the Knowle/Totterdown border, and I worked in a silk screening company that I part owned.
This was before the Bath/Bristol bike path existed.
It was a lovely ride, but I've driven that route a couple of years ago and thought,  "No". "Just no".
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:46:30 am »
Totterdown's quite lively (in a good way) and pretty, but Knowle or specifically Knowle West is very much a sink estate.

Twerton is just Twerton. Not really as bad as he makes out or certainly wasn't in the 90s, but a contrast with the Georgian areas. And there is a station nearby at Oldfield Park.

IQ North of 180, and 5,000 gallons of industrial bleach. Those were my takeaways.
£500 million in personal losses. Army of Gyppos. Mrs got put away in a nuthouse. Direct descendant of Mussolini.

« Reply #37 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:52:06 am »
One of my favourite bands, The Langan Band, has a song called 'the bastard hills of totterdown'.

No idea if it is the same area. Is the Bath Totterdown hilly?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:54:32 am »
Totterdown is very hilly, in fact it includes a street that claims to be the world's/Europe's/UK's/England's steepest residential street (Avon Street). But it is a district of Bristol (albeit bordered by the Bath Road) not Bath. Basil has led us astray because YACF.

Twerton is far from the hilliest part of Bath. Perhaps Andrew's sister would have liked it ?

« Reply #39 on: 05 February, 2024, 11:52:41 am »
Unlikely Cudzo.   All of my suggestions that we take a 2nd walk  around that part of down were huffily rejected.  (she's got mild arthritis in both knees). 

We both enjoyed the SS Great Britain, and Bristol itself looks worth a longer visit.  Maybe next year when I get my old buggers rail card ?   

On Thursday we got the 173 bus from Bath to Wells.   A pretty, though hilly route.  I have done some cycling here in the past, but was a lot slimmer & fitter then! 

We did the guided tour around the Bishop's Palace and gardens, then visited the cathedral which is beautiful.  I'm not sure if I've been inside before ?   

A beer in one of the pubs then the 174 bus back to Bath, arriving in twilight.    Dinner was at Cappadocia as recommended upthread.   I enjoyed my Mutancana but Alison was less keen on her chicken casserole. 

Friday was a final wander around, a visit to https://www.finecheese.co.uk/bath-shop and then the train home.   The bit between Bristol & Stafford was awful, the train was badly overcrowded & people were arguing over seat reservations.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 05 February, 2024, 11:57:34 am »
the train home.   The bit between Bristol & Stafford was awful, the train was badly overcrowded & people were arguing over seat reservations.
Sounds like you were travelling Cross Country!

« Reply #41 on: 05 February, 2024, 06:07:01 pm »
Just a  thought. Please pull the plug and  clean bath before leaving  ;D :demon:
the slower you go the more you see