Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338736 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #300 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
I met Ben when I was doing my everesting, he came out to ride a few reps with me. He's a nice guy, but I can't say I know him.

I've asked the question on the Ride Every Tile Strava group. 

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #301 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:53:54 am »
Got my feet wet on the beach this morning at Portobello and Musselburgh.  Was aiming for 3 tiles, and got two.  The third was probably about 50m into the sea.  Got a further 4 tiles on the ride and cluster up by 3.

Best thing about the ride was a glorious sunrise and a full double rainbow.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #302 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
Haven't had much opportunity to go tile-hunting lately but I snuck out for a short (30km) late-afternoon/early-evening ride yesterday and managed to bag a lone tile in the middle of my cluster, thereby increasing my cluster by 5.

The main reason I've not got it before is that the only public road that goes through it is the A2 - the pseudo-motorway dual carriageway section between Canterbury and the start of the M2. Fortunately, where you join the A2 you can stay on the sliproad through the local services and onto the exit on the other side, so you don't have to ride on the actual A2, but it was still far closer to a load of thundering artics than I would have liked.

Anyway, that's ticked off now, so I never have to do it again. Ever.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #303 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »
I did part of the 3 lane Ripley by-pass (A3) today, up to the turn off for RHS Wisley. No hard shoulder, 3 lanes and the left hand lane is handily marked "M25": https://goo.gl/maps/hKJJ8QEW59N2 The things we do for tiles...

Other than that is a was a nice 70km around the Woking area inspired by The War of the Worlds.

Managed to miss out a tile though today, missed the turn for Tannery Lane in Send which I was supposed to ride 50m of before turning back and carrying on. I was too busy thinking about "Sanger Drive" I'd just passed. Luckily it's only a couple of tiles away from some ungrabbed tiles so it'll only be a ~3km detour to get it on a future ride, but still slightly annoying. I try and avoid having those little out and back bits for the very reason that they are so easy to miss (and they don't feel like making progress on a bike).

11 overlapping 12x12 squares now. Next week's ride should push that to 15x15.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #304 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:14:27 pm »
Reply from Ben on the Ride Every Tile Strava group

Quote from: Ben Lowe - veloviewer.com
Hi. As mentioned above, when you open an activity it calculates the definitive set of tiles for that activity as on opening the activity, the code downloads all of the activity's recorded data points. For activities that haven't been opened then the calculations in the Summary page (and Activities page) are based on a very simplified set of data points provided by the Strava API on the top level Activity details which is collected as part of the Update process. This simplified set of data points can result in both false positives and negatives in terms of ticked tiles which is why opening an activity can result in you both gaining a tile and loosing a tile. Predominantly it results in you gaining tiles these days as the simplified set of data points rarely contains points that aren't part of the full set. Unfortunately I can't populate the definitive set of tiles in bulk as it would require getting all data streams for all of your activities and processing them all which is something I can't do at the moment due to the amount of extra processing (and re-writing of code) that would be required.

So it looks like doing it manually is the only way at the mo.  Unless anyone is able to write a script to do it.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #305 on: 05 November, 2018, 04:21:58 pm »
Reply from Ben on the Ride Every Tile Strava group

Quote from: Ben Lowe - veloviewer.com
Hi. As mentioned above, when you open an activity it calculates the definitive set of tiles for that activity as on opening the activity, the code downloads all of the activity's recorded data points. For activities that haven't been opened then the calculations in the Summary page (and Activities page) are based on a very simplified set of data points provided by the Strava API on the top level Activity details which is collected as part of the Update process. This simplified set of data points can result in both false positives and negatives in terms of ticked tiles which is why opening an activity can result in you both gaining a tile and loosing a tile. Predominantly it results in you gaining tiles these days as the simplified set of data points rarely contains points that aren't part of the full set. Unfortunately I can't populate the definitive set of tiles in bulk as it would require getting all data streams for all of your activities and processing them all which is something I can't do at the moment due to the amount of extra processing (and re-writing of code) that would be required.

So it looks like doing it manually is the only way at the mo.  Unless anyone is able to write a script to do it.

Thanks for asking the question PeeJay

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #306 on: 05 November, 2018, 04:28:21 pm »
While I'm still in the novice / early stages of this game it is easy to gain squares with a lunchtime ride. I am now really pleased to have all the tiles along the north bank of the Humber from Goole to Marfleet. I just followed the Trans Pennine Trail all the way along the estuary side of the Port of Hull at St Andrews Quay. It was fascinating to see the silted up and overgrown old docks, the tumbledown lock gates and the inevitable broken glass next to derelict buildings. I thought I was heading for a dead-end, but at the last minute there was a flight of steps over the tops of the dock buildings and down to the massive lock gates - which I was able to cycle over. This brought me to the back roads near Smith + Nephew. After that, even though I gained no squares, I found a tiny cycle path alongside the A63 to a subway which was inexplicably lit blue. This game opens up new places I wouldn't have thought of cycling. I can see the downside of cycling the A2 slip road.

Some photos from my ride ontheline with instant-gram: https://www.instagram.com/balancingontwowheels/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #307 on: 05 November, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
You can't see well enough to inject into veins under blue lighting.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #308 on: 05 November, 2018, 06:51:45 pm »
You can't see well enough to inject into veins under blue lighting.

Ah ha. So, not for disco purposes then.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #309 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:47:00 pm »
Day off today - square hunting along the A1079. I had a very interesting day trying to make loops out of dead ends - following footpaths and the edges of fields to join up roads. I found 'Bad Bargain Lane' near York, and also visited a retirement caravan site, which got me into a square without travelling miles out of my way. Max square continues the hokey-kokey between Middlesbrough and Hull - but is now 11*11 and Max Cluster jumped from mid 250s to mid 420s - joining Hull to York. That was a worthwhile day out.

Hull and York Cluster by Graeme, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #310 on: 07 November, 2018, 05:02:45 pm »
I've noticed that bagging these three squares would increase my max. cluster by 41:

vv_3_squares by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #311 on: 07 November, 2018, 10:25:26 pm »
Today I finally managed to extend my cluster across the Rhine:

The cluster is now at 3005, so first goal reached. I might even manage to reach 3500 by the end of the year

rr

« Reply #312 on: 08 November, 2018, 12:20:35 am »
Reminds me of the TAC hunt for empty squares The Angry Corrie[\URL]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
[]

« Reply #313 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:07:17 am »
Reminds me of the TAC hunt for empty squares The Angry Corrie

Shows me I'm somewhere on the millenial/IGG scale as my first reaction was of frustration at the lack of images in that piece and thinking it's just too long to read.

(I realise it was from 2001)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rr

« Reply #314 on: 08 November, 2018, 10:44:13 am »

Shows me I'm somewhere on the millenial/IGG scale as my first reaction was of frustration at the lack of images in that piece and thinking it's just too long to read.

(I realise it was from 2001)
You won't like the actual fanzine at all then.

« Reply #315 on: 08 November, 2018, 10:49:26 am »

At least the veloviewer equivalent of SE8322 looks bagable via the little lane that runs down the Western edge.

rr

« Reply #316 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:23:24 am »

At least the veloviewer equivalent of SE8322 looks bagable via the little lane that runs down the Western edge.

There is also a bridleway running east from the end of it, the whole area looks very baggable.
What maps are the squares based on?

« Reply #317 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:28:07 am »
Quote from: rr link=topic=108374.msg2340268#msg2340268 date=
What maps are the squares based on?
[/quote

OpenStreetMap zoom level 14:
https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-explorer-score-and-max-square/

rr

« Reply #318 on: 08 November, 2018, 01:18:48 pm »
I think some one owes me £10.
Free only gets me lots of 2*2 due to numerous short commutes.

« Reply #319 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:20:21 am »
There is also a bridleway running east from the end of it, the whole area looks very baggable.

Bridleway alongside Adlingfleet drain or lane south from Ousefleet that leans into the square as you go south. Some interesting squares in that area as you go further west, I'll be having a look in that direction at the weekend.

Bagged a few more squares in the dark last night, cluster score is now above 300 but the max square sizes are stubbornly still on 8.

« Reply #320 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:24:50 am »
I've recently rejoined vv.  Not done any explortile rides so far, but reckon on a few short rides to go from 5x5 to 11x11, so poss the first to get 13 tiles this weekend (on 45mm tyres).  Interesting to see where, close to home, I've not set tyre.

my base level local explorer tile by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Explorer score:
1590 tiles, average of 9.118 km per tile
Max square 5x5
Max Cluster: 76 

Have some riding to do...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #321 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:25:05 am »
I rode a 64km loop home from work yesterday out towards Ashbourne to pick up a couple of the squares that I'd previously been given as 'false positives' - I got them properly this time. 
One required a quick 10 metre trip down a farm track just off the A515 just south of Ashbourne. 
The other was a great little lane of the 'how come I've not been down here before' type.  Just what square exploring is all about, I'll definitely be back to ride that again in the daylight. :facepalm:
I'm now on 11 overlapping squares of 27x27 and max cluster of 1708.

rr

« Reply #322 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:22:08 pm »
Paid up and now up to 9*9, a few odd untouched squares close to home. Just been out at lunchtime to bag one of them, via the dead end, private road that just enters it, got wet.
Now planning routes to fill the gaps between my former Witham based rides and my current Chelmsford patch as well as filling a few southern gaps.

« Reply #323 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:57:39 am »
Another swathe of squares targeted yesterday in the SE of my region. Max square unchanged at 23x23, but max cluster up from 1059 to 1167.

Next time around I'll head towards north London and get that max square to jump a little higher.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #324 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »

Went out on my first tile hunt for a while. Aim was to tick off 9 north of the canal, and, then tidy up some loose ends around Haarlem. Turns out that on the 9 north, I didn't go far enough into one of the tiles. Even tho the explorer app on my phone thought I was there. Its rather annoying, as it's going to bug me for weeks. It wouldn't have helped with my max square, as I'll hit against the Ijsselmeer, but would have had a nice boost to my max cluster.

So close...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/