Author Topic: DPReview  (Read 3098 times)

DPReview
« on: 22 March, 2023, 11:39:58 am »
Just had an email saying their site is closing down after April 10th. Pity I liked some of their camera reviews.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Re: DPReview
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2023, 11:45:48 am »
Wow, they were my go-to site for honest info and review, didn't realise they have been Amazon since 2007 (which is why they are closing) - surprised they can't sell it.

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2023, 05:06:50 pm »
Their YouTube channel was good as well. But Chris and Jordan are now moving to a new channel with PetaPixel, so hopefully that will have a similar sort of thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6T3qWI2c-Y

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2023, 05:18:22 pm »
Damn.  I followed their tests & recommendations for years, from about 2001 on.  Wasn't so keen after Amazon bought them out, but they were still good.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2023, 05:22:36 pm »
Indeed, that is a shame. I’m not an avid gear buyer, but they were a really useful source of reviews.

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2023, 06:26:42 pm »
Its a shame all the old reviews and the forums will be lost though. It was a great resource.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2023, 06:47:12 pm »
^ this, in spades.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2023, 09:53:58 pm »
I've been reading the site for years and I can't believe they're closing down.

« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2023, 06:51:24 am »
Very surprised by this.  It's not as if Am*zon can't afford to keep it going as a resource... 

Wonder if there's any point of removing content from the galleries, even if backed up etc...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2023, 01:31:37 pm »
Last day of dpreview...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2023, 04:03:45 pm »
The forum now seems to default to the flat view instead of the useless threaded view!

It seems Amazon has decided to keep the site available.

Dear readers,

We’ve received a lot of questions about what's next for the site. We hear your concerns about losing the content that has been carefully curated over the years, and want to assure you that the content will remain available as an archive.

We’ve also heard that you need more time to access the site, so we’re going to keep publishing some more stories while we work on archiving.

Thank you to this community and the support you’ve shown us over the years.

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2023, 05:01:53 pm »
Mine hasn't N/T

The forum now seems to default to the flat view instead of the useless threaded view!

It seems Amazon has decided to keep the site available.

Dear readers,

We’ve received a lot of questions about what's next for the site. We hear your concerns about losing the content that has been carefully curated over the years, and want to assure you that the content will remain available as an archive.

We’ve also heard that you need more time to access the site, so we’re going to keep publishing some more stories while we work on archiving.

Thank you to this community and the support you’ve shown us over the years.

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2023, 03:44:22 pm »
The website's still up, with new articles appearing and the forum's still running.

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2023, 08:38:58 pm »
It's been bought.