Author Topic: A DIY organiser's plea  (Read 49634 times)

Chris S

Re: A DIY organiser's plea
« Reply #200 on: 31 July, 2011, 09:05:57 am »
Fixed gear?

marcus

« Reply #201 on: 31 July, 2011, 09:42:34 am »
Fixed gear?

Yup. After years of wondering why on earth anyone would ride a bike with only one gear I've been well and truly bitten by the fixie bug.

« Reply #202 on: 31 July, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »
Fixed gear?

Yup. After years of wondering why on earth anyone would ride a bike with only one gear I've been well and truly bitten by the fixie bug.

Grounds for being sectioned, surely.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #203 on: 31 July, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »
I had another one today which first thought was how many controls, 41!!!
Looking at it properly though, it all adds up to 3336km.
That's how it should be done  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marcus?

;D :thumbsup:

How did you know it was me?!

It's my summer holiday this year - a grand tour of England.

I didn't know, but of all the people I could think of that would do a 3300km DIY, I knew that it wasn't me, which narrowed it down to you, or someone else who I don't know of would ride a 3300km DIY.
Pete Turnbull tends to go for lots of little rides or big organised ones.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #204 on: 17 April, 2013, 05:12:33 pm »
I was just playing with Google Maps (in walking mode) and it found a route on one leg of a ride that was 7km shorter than any previously found by Via Michelin - so it possibly has a better shortest route algorithm. It benefits by being integrated with streetview, not too cumbersome to use, and as Jaded points out, it's cross platform.

Fails the "Chepstow to Aust" test though.

Google Map Maker now means people can suggest corrections and additions to Google Maps. Things are getting fixed pretty quickly, and Google Maps now passes the Chepstow to Aust test!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #205 on: 17 April, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
Checking out the chepstowe aust test I just clicked on the "heavy good" option. Except its not heavy goods, its a coach, and gives (several alternate) public transport options. Well I never!

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #206 on: 17 April, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »
And don't forget that with the GPS DIY, you can go for those AAA points as well..... if you have a GPS, that is.  :-[

H

And your GPS can get reception.  I was playing around the Surrey Hills yesterday, producing a tracklog for a tough permanent I am hoping John Ward will add to the official list and the AAA man will bless with 1pt (its a 50k).  Reception was lost for about 50% of the ride due to tree cover, making gps redundant.

Hmm, you might have a problem with your GPS then.

I've done plenty of rides round the Surrey Hills (in summer so the trees had plenty of leaves) with only one 50m stretch where I lost GPS reception, and that was using a non-high sensitivity GPS.

You beat me to it.

I navigated the entire Tour Of The Hills event last year using only a GPS and it didn't miss a beat. That was in August, and part way through we had a thunderstorm. The GPS still didn't miss a beat.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Hillbilly

« Reply #207 on: 17 April, 2013, 05:48:06 pm »
FY were me in a previous incarnation.  The issue was the battery connection to the Etrex Legend unit, which meant it powered off when it hit a rough surface.  This was, apparently, a common fault with that model.  But still goes to show that gps is far from the panacea for all circumstances (I now carry a second unit on DIY by GPS rides "just in case" something goes wrong).

« Reply #208 on: 17 April, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »
And don't forget that with the GPS DIY, you can go for those AAA points as well..... if you have a GPS, that is.  :-[

H

And your GPS can get reception.  I was playing around the Surrey Hills yesterday, producing a tracklog for a tough permanent I am hoping John Ward will add to the official list and the AAA man will bless with 1pt (its a 50k).  Reception was lost for about 50% of the ride due to tree cover, making gps redundant.

I've done plenty of rides round the Surrey Hills (in summer so the trees had plenty of leaves) with only one 50m stretch where I lost GPS reception, and that was using a non-high sensitivity GPS.

You beat me to it.

By almost 3 years! (See dates of previous replies...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

contango

« Reply #209 on: 17 April, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »

H

You beat me to it.

:facepalm:
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #210 on: 17 April, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »
Riding in the surrey hills one discovers it might be worth upgrading to the Vista HCx after all, as the Cx can struggle to maintain contact with the world on occasion.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #211 on: 18 April, 2013, 12:00:09 pm »
You beat me to it.

Sorry about my rather mischievous thread resurrection :demon: I just saw Map Maker and it reminded me of reading about the "Chepstow-Aust test" (like the Schleswig-Holstein Question?) on this thread.

contango

« Reply #212 on: 18 April, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »
You beat me to it.

Sorry about my rather mischievous thread resurrection :demon: I just saw Map Maker and it reminded me of reading about the "Chepstow-Aust test" (like the Schleswig-Holstein Question?) on this thread.

This is the part where I nod sagely and act as if I've got a clue what's going on around me :)