Author Topic: Try out or hire an ebike - Essex  (Read 1473 times)

rr

Try out or hire an ebike - Essex
« on: 09 October, 2019, 10:30:29 pm »
Mrs R is expressing interest in an ebike, I'm not convinced it is the answer to her problem and am so reluctant to bet the h£s needed on her getting on with one.
Is there anyone within reach of Chelmsford who has got one that she could try out?
Alternatively is there anyone near by who is hiring them out.
She is 5'2" and a nervous cyclist so something upright would be good.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Try out or hire an ebike - Essex
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2019, 10:43:23 pm »
We live in Southend and have an e-assist Circe tandem. You would be welcome to come and give it a try.

Being 5’ 2” isn’t an issue. My wife is 5’ 7” and our grand-daughter is under 5’.  The latter could ride on the back 2 years ago when she was 7.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rr

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2019, 11:21:56 pm »
Really looking for a solo, Mrs R doesn't enjoy the tandem.

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:28:36 am »
GK motors in witham had a demo fleet at the towns cycle event in the summer. Be worth contacting them to see if they have them permanently or if was from the manufacturer

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:14:39 am »
ARCC near Cambridge always willing to offer test rides.

https://arccinnovations.com/

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2019, 04:13:52 pm »
Did you get any further with this RR? I might be looking to try one for someone soon in Chelmsford...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2019, 07:48:21 pm »
I would certainly recommend test riding. Helping out on a holiday weekend recently there were 3 different models of electric bike. Having got to try out each of them, there was a huge difference in the how the power kicked in. On one it was quite a jolt and I could see it making a nervous cyclist even more nervous. The top-notch model was a dream of progressive application of the power without any sudden kick. Sadly it was a case of you get what you pay for.

rr

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:48:20 pm »
GK in Witham were very helpful and mini and I spent a while riding various bikes up and down the shop, if the weather had been decent they would have let us try them in the park. Power delivery felt much better on the bottom bracket dive. £2.5k though.
Decathlon have an interesting range online but don't stock them in chelmsford - have to go to lakeside or Harlow.
Cycles UK had some treks that seemed reasonably priced.
Halfords have a good range, from £500 front wheel drive - not a fan to a £1.5 bosh Rayleigh which felt ok with and without the power.
One issue giving me pause for thought is the thickness of the battery containing down tube and its incompatibility with roof rack bike carriers. From this point of view the ones with the battery on the rear rack look more useful.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2019, 06:13:08 pm »
Hmmm £2.5k is a bit pricey for her indoors as I doubt it will become a daily driver for her (but you never know) alternative might be an add-on front wheel for existing bike, might research that when I get back home.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:31:30 pm »
I'm glad GKs were helpful. Regarding decathlon the lakeside one which isn't actually at lakeside doesn't take that long to get to. I have a customer near by and normally takes about 40 minutes

rr

« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2019, 09:31:05 pm »
Hmmm £2.5k is a bit pricey for her indoors as I doubt it will become a daily driver for her (but you never know) alternative might be an add-on front wheel for existing bike, might research that when I get back home.
Now there's an idea, any sources or costs?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2019, 03:50:27 pm »
Now there's an idea, any sources or costs?

I'm sure there's a shop in Coulsdon on the corner but after looking it appears that they only sell bikes but I'm sure when they first opened it was about converting to electric. It's on my route to/from her parents in the car. I should have thought to call into a bike shop here in Netherlands but I'm on the way home tonight...
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2019, 06:23:41 pm »
I came across these guys, no idea what they are like but they also have some bikes as well as conversion kits.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/conversion-kits/front-ekits/cyclotricity-pannier-rack-ekit-36v-700c-wheel-11ah
Regards,

Joergen