Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134189 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13750 on: 20 April, 2019, 04:29:42 pm »
Swapped the wheels on the car.  Took off the 17" silver alloys with winter tyres and fitted the (original spec) drug dealer 19" alloys with summer tyres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13751 on: 20 April, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »
Well, that rather knocks my bottom bracket fettling into a cocked hat!
Waitaminnit, does r/c mean ‘remote control’?

Not quite as intimidating if so.

Yup, Radio Control. It's only about 6 foot wingspan, but not many people fly r/c twins because of the complexity of controlling 2 engines.  They have to throttle up and down in sync, and do it reliably, and run reliably, otherwise the aircraft gets quite hard to fly.  So engine fettling on r/c twins is quite involved.

And I've got 3 more r/c twins that could do with a fettle.

But fettled a new speedo gearbox onto my '73 Triumph Tiger 750 this am, and that's quite enough fettling for today, thank you.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13752 on: 20 April, 2019, 07:32:24 pm »
New tyres all round for Pingu & I today after we both had a puncture on the way home. I wish my inner tubes wouldn't get welded to paselas though, it made it a right bastard to get off the rim.

I should really have taken the opportunity to put on the New! Shiny! Purple! Hubbed wheels that Pingu built for me but after all the swearing I CBA moving the casette over as well.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13753 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:51:03 am »
I should really have taken the opportunity to put on the New! Shiny! Purple! Hubbed wheels that Pingu built for me but after all the swearing I CBA moving the casette over as well.

You could have got RZ to do it, then you could have had a nice clean lightweight one :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13754 on: 21 April, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »
Washed my fixed and the audax tandem. New bearings, cup and cone in HK's Roberts hubs and built a dynowheel for it. Tyre and tube on the dynowheel, so just need to wire up the Roberts' headlight for it to be PBP-ready.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13755 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »
Swapped the non-premium Cyo from HK's Kinesis to her MTB commuter.

Fitted a Cyo Premium with piggyback Schmidt connectors to the Kinesis. That'll let her use an Igaro on it when she wants to.

Replaced a bearing in my Moulton's front wheel. Added a soft shim to the seatpost clamp on HK's Moulton's rack.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13756 on: 23 April, 2019, 05:42:52 pm »
had to sort out the sticky freehub, abroad, with hardly any tools at hand..

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13757 on: 24 April, 2019, 08:41:12 pm »
Impressive!^ :)

Far less impressive, I've patched three of the four tubes I put aside rather a long time ago. The last already had four patches so I've decided to keep as a totem of obstinacy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13758 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »
A 38 tooth chainring onto the trice. It's a narrow/wide  blue one  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13759 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:25:42 pm »
A quantity of landlord-issue magnolia emulsion from my down jacket.

(This post would be equally at home in the div thread.)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #13760 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:58:43 pm »
Not exackerly today, but I finally haz a suab fixie again, having decided that the tyres it came with were about to have had it.
It's the full omafiets look as well, with rubbish squeaky brakes fore and aft, chain guard etc..
Known as Stella of the squeaky brakes.
Tho I may stick to audaxing with gears.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13761 on: 25 April, 2019, 08:12:06 pm »
Started building up the Colnago I got from bikenerrd. I’m ridiculously excited.
Dt stops and seat tube bolt arrived so I was able to finish the build and take it for a spin.

Everything (Campagnolo centaur, 3x10) works well. I think the stem is a cm too long so I haven’t taped the bars yet.

Nice bike.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #13762 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:34:30 pm »
A quantity of landlord-issue magnolia emulsion from my down jacket.

(This post would be equally at home in the div thread.)
They say the Queen thinks the world smells of magnolia.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13763 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:06:05 am »
That bloody lightswitch in the bathroom whereof I have grumbled elsewhere. Nasty job involving too-short wires, spring-loaded terminals requiring Herculean strength to be exerted in a tiny space and a wide vocabulary, mostly cribbed from YACF. It works!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13764 on: 27 April, 2019, 04:54:45 pm »
I've been cannibalising Denman hairbrushes, combining the least toothless combs with fair pads and handles to make two serviceable brushes out of three old ones.

Skinflint the Cyclist.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13765 on: 27 April, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
Put the 2 new wheels on that Pingu built for me using Purple! Shiny! Hope hubs.  :smug:
Finally bent the valve on the inner tube that's been wonky for far too long into some semblance of normality, such that it can now wear a cap.
Didn't put a new chain on the commuter because it had already been used elsewhere.  :facepalm:
Fettled some repaired inner tubes into boxes tidily.  O:-)
Chucked out an old derailleur and various other tat (including many unfixed inner tubes) cluttering up the shed.
Finally got around to dismantling the shifter that stopped working in winter. Took it to bits, sussed out how it worked and got it going again, at which point a vital bit of it sheared off.  :-\ Binned it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13766 on: 28 April, 2019, 10:44:34 am »
Changed inner chainring on Trek. 

Managed to get hands almost clean in about the same time as it took to change the ring.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13767 on: 28 April, 2019, 01:11:06 pm »
finally rechained the M5. Slight divness in that I had no photos of it before removing the old ones.  Three chains later, it all looked nice adn shiny, but power and return sides backwards.

Cue resplitting power links, rethreading and rejoining. just in time for the rain to start.

I had lunch then went out for a short ride
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Paul

« Reply #13768 on: 28 April, 2019, 01:43:09 pm »
The last of the laminate flooring! I finally did the under stairs pantry.

Thank the gods that's done. Although I'm sure the secret list* has grown in the meantime.

(*I've never seen the list, but Suzy tells me what's on it on a need-to-know basis. It's a bit like those house meetings that I don't get invited to, where decisions are made. It's as though there's a board of directors in my house that I'm not on)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13769 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:16:35 pm »
Finally got round the ploughing through the mound of cycle related stuff on the bench in my garage - some thrown out (not a lot!), the "spare" tools all put in one box, the n sets of tools/tubes etc that have been in 6 bags on 6 bikes now consolidated into one spangly Ortlieb under-saddle bag that has a clip on each bike .... just transfer the bag to the bike in use - simples (now that I run 25mm tyres on the road bike I can get away with just 25-32 tubes, all Presta long valve).

Along the way I decided to sell my Claud Butler c1982 Audax framed fixie - either as complete bike for preference or f&f and the unusual Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed wheel (with bar end and downtube shifters) - sometime soon I'll get round to listing it for sale.

Just about (so I'm being told) to reinstate the water feature gadget in the garden after its removal for the winter.

Rob

Paul

« Reply #13770 on: 28 April, 2019, 05:39:46 pm »
Just about (so I'm being told) to reinstate the water feature gadget in the garden after its removal for the winter.

Rob
Aha: another “operative”. Welcome, comrade.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #13771 on: 29 April, 2019, 11:33:57 pm »
Today I fittted a cyclone dust trap to George. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13772 on: 01 May, 2019, 01:41:35 pm »
Firstly a new front mudguard for the Surly. The old one had a loose stay. This was because the stays fasten with a 2mm grub screw. Grub screws are, we all know, the work of Stan, and a 2mm fastener of any sort on something subjected to weather and rattles is the artifice of Beelzebub. Combine the two in one item and make it out of non-stainless steel and you have something only ian can name. The new guard uses big stainless bolts. The part of mudguard fitting I don't like is cutting the stays to length – the irreversibility is scary! There's something to be said for designs where this isn't necessary, such as Bontrager (though I know someone who has Bontrager mudguards on a Specialized and the clash of branding freaks him out – it wouldn't bother me, but I guess we all need something to get disturbed by).

After I'd done that – a couple of days after – I decided to adjust the headlight bracket of the IQ-X on the Sequoia. Mistake! The plastic had got totally chewed up from rotating on the metal bolt under the forces of gravity, vibration and resistance from the brake and gear cables – which, of course, is why it needed adjusting in the first place. I've replaced it with a metal bracket which hopefully should stay put. I've also used electrical tape to tie the cables up in a way which means they'll still work smoothly but won't press on the headlight. Hopefully. Also replaced the cable ties holding the dyno wire on the fork leg with lecky tape cos it actually looks better (black on black) IMO.

Not sure about doing the rear guard, I think I'll leave it till it becomes necessary. I can live with mismatched mudguards (just as the other bike has mismatched wheels. Horror!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13773 on: 04 May, 2019, 03:54:05 pm »
Fitted a new cassette on the Dawes. Then measured the rim width as I was changing the tyre and realised it's worn out, so moved the new cassette onto a spare road wheel for now.

Fitted a new chain to match the new cassette, cleaned an amazing amount of black crud from between the chainrings and round the jockey wheels, and realigned the front and rear brakes. Then I decided the left shifter was too far down the bar, so I unwrapped and moved it up a bit; and because I made a much better job of taping the end of the handlebar tape than on the other side, I redid the last little bit of the other one too.

Also adjusted the light bracket and changed the bottle cages over as the old ones were starting to wear through.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13774 on: 04 May, 2019, 05:39:19 pm »
Bit of a Kona MTB day.

Put a different M737 XT rear mech on the Kiluaea but it still skips under load.  Finally twigged what's wrong.  There is play in the cassette - I think I used a 3mm spacer but 7 speed on a 10 speed hub needs a 4.5mm spacer.

Also cleaned the Cinder Cone and dewinterised it.  Factory chain lube is The Worst to clean up, especially when topped up with Finish Line wet lube.  Yuck.

Then rode down to Hargroves.  Nowhere to park a bike FFS.  Not much in the way of useful spares either.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.