Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 75310 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #225 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:12:50 am »
Well done Chris.  At least you get the snazzy jersey to keep, though!
You can even buy the full kit to wear IRL!
That would be sad!!
Unfortunately they have sold out of the right size of jersey (to fit my avatar)

« Reply #226 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:27:17 am »
 :D
Well done Chris.  At least you get the snazzy jersey to keep, though!
You can even buy the full kit to wear IRL!
That would be sad!!
Unfortunately they have sold out of the right size of jersey (to fit my avatar)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #227 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:00:36 am »
One feature I'd like in Zwift, is the ability to turn off other competitors and be able to be solo without hundreds of other competitors slowing your system down

« Reply #228 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:10:12 am »

« Reply #229 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:43:42 am »
One feature I'd like in Zwift, is the ability to turn off other competitors and be able to be solo without hundreds of other competitors slowing your system down

Join an event and wait a minute or two at the start.

(or try your best, depending...)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #230 on: 20 February, 2021, 09:51:37 am »

Just turn off your WiFi. Ride will continue but you’ll be on your own.

« Reply #231 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:08:55 pm »
Or set up a meet-up ride and turn off other riders.  Has the added benefit that you can do any course (except Bologna or Crit City) at any time of your choosing.

« Reply #232 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »
Is this wotsit based on a real place in France?

« Reply #233 on: 20 February, 2021, 07:43:17 pm »
Is this wotsit based on a real place in France?

Not that I know of and with google image search, only exists on zwift..  The street lamp is all wrong and the tree species are not to be found in France, either.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #234 on: 20 February, 2021, 07:51:10 pm »
They invited me to do the group Uber Pretzel next Saturday:o   Looks like a bridge too far for me but I will have go.  It is only one lap..

Epic fail!  I did the KOM and Telegraph Hill plus the descent, 656m of climbing and 660 calories but  I knew it was bad omen when I got passed by T. Christmas.  Knowing I wasn't going to finish before Christmas I quit:o

« Reply #235 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:57:34 am »
I won my first race in 15 years today: a 5 mile Paceheads B race at Bologna.  Just rode hard at the bottom of the hill, build a 28 second gap but lost it all when I started to struggle to keep the gears turning... got overtaken 300 metres from the line but clung on and outsprinted my opponent 😀.

« Reply #236 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:19:52 am »
As an older person who never played on-line games I struggle to find my way around Zwift ( and Rouvy for that matter).
I see comments about group rides. I try to Google how to join, and I clearly lack the assumed basic knowledge.
I’ve found that I need the “ companion app”, and I’ve downloaded this ( it said free, but then seemed to take a payment, but that hopefully is just verify who I am).
So, please, in simple terms how do I join a group ride? Are they scheduled at certain times, or just virtually there?
Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

« Reply #237 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:28:13 am »
There are three types of group ride:
- Private ones set up by mates or clubs. You need to know someone organising one to join these.
- Events/races. These are in the top right of the screen after you log in, or you can signup at https://www.zwift.com/events or https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/ These happen at a fixed time. You need to sign up for them, then start riding in any of the standard worlds. A few minutes before the event a banner will appear asking you to switch to the event.
- Virtual partner rides. Select Watopia on the home screen and a choice of virtual partners will appear in the rider list. These are big groups following a computer generated pace rider around.

« Reply #238 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:30:54 am »
You don't need the companion app. It just makes it easier than the Zwift website.

Easier still is here: https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/?

Use the filter to pick a date/ group

Choose a ride or race around the time you want to ride at a pace you can keep

Click through to enter on Zwift

From 30 minutes before the event starts you will be offered the option to join, from the riding screen in Zwift.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll do screen grabs.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #239 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:37:02 am »
Edit: pipped by fboab!

Group Rides are scheduled. You find them within the 'Events' page on the Companion app (or from the Zwift Events web page. Within each ride entry is a description of the ride type, anticipated pace, and a big '+' sign. Click on that to be scheduled to join. Set up an alarm so you know when it's coming (the page will give you optional alarms). A few minutes before the appointed time, log in to the game. Once you're logged in, you'll see a list of events on the top right with your selected event highlighted with an orange 'joined' label. DON'T CLICK ON IT! That'll 'un-join' you! Just get into the game (clicking 'Ride'), and at an appropriate time around 5 minutes before the event, a dialogue will come up saying your event is about to start and offering to automatically take you there. You have the option to go straight there. If you ignore the invite by pressing 'not yet' - perhaps because you're on another ride, or you're warming up, the 'Join' dialogue will reappear. If you're late for the ride (usually because Zwift demands to update just as you start it up) you can normally join it within 30 minutes after the start. If you do this, the app may take you to the leading group of riders - who may be well ahead of the official 'ride leader'. Beware of this - it's easy to get caught up with the fliers and lose out on the fun of being with the group.

Enjoy it - the group rides can be really fun, particularly if you get involved in an accompanying Discord voice channel which allows all the banter you'd expect on a club ride, without incessant 'Car up' warnings!

« Reply #240 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:08:59 pm »
After learning about scheduled events I gave the link a go and went for the

3R Volcano Circuit Sprint Flat Race - 1 Lap (6.6km/4.1mi 20m) (A)

They'd only let me enter as cat. A and as there only 6 minutes to go I guess all the others were full.  I decided it would be too fast for me and looked for an alternative but I kept getting told my event started soon so as it was only 6 km decided to do it for the experience. 

After the start I took it easy waiting for the pack to disappear up the road.  Although torrents of riders did go by I still had company so I decided to stick with any peloton I could. For at least 2/3rds I managed to keep up but then suddenly the pack I was with accelerated away - my top speed was their ambling along speed - and just vanished leaving me to find another tow.  Could have been worse!  In my group I was 21st out of 22 but over all categories I was 75 out of 130 which is my usual kind of spot for sprints and hill climbs.  Next time I will try category C.

« Reply #241 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:39:25 pm »
They'd only let me enter as cat. A

Eh?

However much complaining happens, it's very unusual to not be able to enter your category. The only exception is that you can't enter women-only events as a bloke (or vice versa- but there are very few men-only events). They don't 'fill' - there isn't any way of capping numbers.

« Reply #242 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:45:37 pm »
On the Apple TV it's super fiddly selecting a letter. There's also a bug (possibly on other platforms too) where if you accidentally select A, cancel and select C, it still sends you to the A event and you can jump to the C event from there.

But yeah, there's no limit, and as long as the race hasn't actually started you can enter up to the last second (and some events allow late joining).

« Reply #243 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:46:40 pm »
On the Apple TV it's super fiddly selecting

ANYTHING

God that remote is shite.

« Reply #244 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:09:19 pm »
You don't need the companion app. It just makes it easier than the Zwift website.

Easier still is here: https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/?

Use the filter to pick a date/ group

Choose a ride or race around the time you want to ride at a pace you can keep

Click through to enter on Zwift

From 30 minutes before the event starts you will be offered the option to join, from the riding screen in Zwift.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll do screen grabs.

Many thanks.

« Reply #245 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:56:35 pm »
They'd only let me enter as cat. A

Eh?

However much complaining happens, it's very unusual to not be able to enter your category. The only exception is that you can't enter women-only events as a bloke (or vice versa- but there are very few men-only events). They don't 'fill' - there isn't any way of capping numbers.

It was the only option that appeared. Of course I could have missed something but nothing I can think of. I find Zwift's interface quite off beat, takes getting used to.

It's no big deal.

« Reply #246 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:31:34 pm »
I agree regarding the interface.  it is as if they have put all their money into the graphics, etc and been left with a 15 year old front end.

I did my first race tonight.  I threw myself into the B group and came a lowly 72 out of 73 but I got a bump in my FTP and I can build on that.  I think that a race or similar could become my balls out effort for the week as per other discussions.

« Reply #247 on: 26 February, 2021, 04:58:25 pm »
Have had issues with my smart trainer over cadence readings.  On the Radio Tower Hill I was being told my cadence was 30 to 35 with a speed of 6 to 8 km/h.  The gears I was using made either the speed wrong or the cadence. Given my performance against other riders, it has to be the cadence. It has behaved similarly on other steep climbs.  I'm not sure I can actually pedal that slow on steep climbs without falling off.

« Reply #248 on: 26 February, 2021, 05:35:57 pm »
Do you have small feet, use short cranks, or use a bike with long chainstays?  My eldest uses his mountain bike on my Tacx Neo 2T, and his feet don't reliably pass the cadence sensor, which leads to some very spurious (low) cadence readings.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #249 on: 26 February, 2021, 05:42:23 pm »
On the Apple TV it's super fiddly selecting

ANYTHING

God that remote is shite.

It isn't a remote. It's a wet dream.
It is simpler than it looks.