Author Topic: Reprogram Netgear Router? - SOLVED  (Read 1196 times)

Reprogram Netgear Router? - SOLVED
« on: 03 August, 2008, 05:12:57 pm »
I set this up some time ago, and I can't remember the WAP key I used.  My Windows system is set up to use it OK, but I now have an additional Linux system I want to get to work with wireless if possible.

If I set the default button, will the system revert to 'admin' and 'password'?  Can  then reset the WAP key?

I don't want to mess about if it's risky, as I could fiddle with the Linux wireless somewhere else where I already know the WAP key!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Reprogram Netgear Router?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2008, 05:45:57 pm »
It's not on a sticky label on the bottom, like the BT Home Hub is it?

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:09:35 pm »
Nope, just default username=admin, default password=password

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
If you restore it to factory default it will have user name: admin password: password and no security at all. You can then set it up again from scratch.

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:14:01 pm »
Thanks, toekneep.

I think I'll leave it well alone for the moment! :-\

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:39:12 am »
I don't think the username changes on a Netgear - so all you need is the password to get in.  Once you're into the setup pages you can see the WAP passphrase

Do you have an idea of what password you might have used ?

If you accessed it through Firefox, then under preferences>security there's an option to view saved passwords  - if you're lucky it may be there.

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2008, 03:45:48 pm »
Thanks, MV, but I always to opt for the system NOT to remember passwords!

I'm going to try and get the wireless going at another address, where I DO know the WAP key.  Once everything is working fine on this version of Vector Linux, I may then reset the router here, so that I can use both systems with it here.

Thanks all for the help.

Re: Reprogram Netgear Router? - SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »
I did this OK in the end.

Entering http://192.168.0.1 brings up the online configurator, I guess as long as there's a router nearby, and I could see the passphrase I used.  Phew!  That let me set up my Linux machine to use wireless with WPA-PSK!  Great!

Now I've changed the admin password so that others can't snoop and see what my passphrase is.

Thanks for the help.  :thumbsup: