Author Topic: CTC Sportive series  (Read 6197 times)

AndyH

CTC Sportive series
« on: 07 February, 2011, 09:02:03 pm »
Not sure about these.
http://www.ctcchallengerides.co.uk/CTC_dorset_sportive.php
The first one starts in my home town of Blandford, where nothing much ever happens. As it's a CTC thing I sort of feel I should ride. However the whole thing seems to be subcontracted out to an organising company.

Anyone doing this one ?

Martin

Re: CTC Sportive series
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »
they did one out of my home town a few times until about 5 years ago; it was very good but I was told it was shelved as it did not make money as it involved the time of a full time CTC team to organise it (which speaks volumes for how good value Audax rides are)

so I suppose it makes more sense for the CTC to use an outside contractor if it's more profitable for them (proceeds IIRC go to the CDF) £17 seems about the right price to make it appealing to both camps; is there any sponsorship on top?

and no MHL  :)

Simonb

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:41:03 pm »
Looks like a good early season ride to me. If I were closer I'd probably do it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »
CTC Challenge Ride profits no longer go to CDF.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:58:06 pm »

thought not  :-\

still a good price for a "sportive" though

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:43:48 am »

You don't often hear the words 'good price' and 'sportive' used in the same sentence  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:58:21 pm »
Not sure about these.
http://www.ctcchallengerides.co.uk/CTC_dorset_sportive.php
The first one starts in my home town of Blandford, where nothing much ever happens. As it's a CTC thing I sort of feel I should ride. However the whole thing seems to be subcontracted out to an organising company.

Anyone doing this one ?
Hi Andy. Some of the CTC Bournemouth section guys have entered; I'm toying with it BUT have now looked at the route! Also, there may be a couple of CTC West Dorsets. What I'd like to know is which way the route goes - clockwise or anti-clockwise? Makes a difference on hills I find tough  :-\
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

AndyH

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »
It goes anti clockwise as far as I can tell. So you start going down the main road to Shillingstone, and finish with Bulbarrow / Turnworth. Nice.

« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »
It goes anti clockwise as far as I can tell. So you start going down the main road to Shillingstone, and finish with Bulbarrow / Turnworth. Nice.
Shame - that'll mean a couple of walks for me then. I was hoping for the sea first (which is the way I'd ride if it was a day out from home). Will give it another look.

« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2011, 01:36:56 pm »
If I can shake this lurgy off in time I'll hopefully be there tomorrow <cough, cough>.

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2011, 01:10:33 pm »
Stayed in bed instead :'( Looks like s good day for anyone riding though.

The Mechanic

« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »
Not much north of Watford Gap.  Is this and Englandshire thing?

« Reply #12 on: 27 February, 2011, 10:44:32 pm »

£27 ? Both the Ron Kit & the Phil & Friends used to be Audaxes and cost Audax prices, this was about 5 years ago. I hope they get direction signs for their money now.

AndyH

« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:41:02 am »
What I got for my £17 (as a CTC member) was a signed route, energy drink / bars at the feed stations, and a blue thing to cable tie to my forks that timed my start and finish. Plus a goody bag at the end with a little CTC book, and a miniature pie. I've no idea how they know where I actually went, but as these are not validated rides I don't suppose it matters.

The route was pretty good with a few stiff climbs, might have scraped 1.5 AAA points but TBH I doubt it. For those that know Dorset the last 10 miles went up Stoke Wake, down Bulbarrow to Belchalwell and then up Turnworth. My LBS owner rode it on fixed, including those climbs. Chapeau.

It was a pleasant enough day, and was not too crowded (which is my main objection to sportives). Much carbon on display, a lot of it very dirty by the end.

Good to see Ladyvet.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:02:33 am »
.. a goody bag at the end with a little CTC book, and a miniature pie.

Tell us more about this mysterious pie

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:10:50 am »
What I got for my £17 (as a CTC member) was a signed route, energy drink / bars at the feed stations, and a blue thing to cable tie to my forks that timed my start and finish. Plus a goody bag at the end with a little CTC book, and a miniature pie.

blue thing cable-tied to forks? That's no good when I switch to the climbing bike, or puncture and take a teammate's. (I think PBP are using ankle-bands this year for the first time. But you also get your card stamped :) )

I've no idea how they know where I actually went, but as these are not validated rides I don't suppose it matters.
What was the point of riding then?!?  :o

£17 sounds a fair price if you want signage (and a pie) - I can see the appeal in that.

I was quite happy riding a £6 audax on Saturday, but I am a tightwad!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AndyH

« Reply #16 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:24:34 am »
They promoted it as this Vorsprung. When I got to the end I was presented with a pie about 3 inches in diameter and 7/8" deep. I was not tremendously impressed, visions of the first ever AUK sit down protest flashed before me if this ever gets served on an Audax.

I've no idea how they know where I actually went, but as these are not validated rides I don't suppose it matters.
What was the point of riding then?!?  :o

It was totally pointless Matt. It started a mile from my front door and as it was a "CTC" event I sort of thought I ought to. It would have cost much more in petrol to drive to the KVR though. I'd really have been better off riding a local perm. Going over old ground I know, but sportives seem to appeal to the modern requirement for events to be spoon fed to their participants. I'll try to earn my redemption next week on the Mad March.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:32:46 am »
.. a goody bag at the end with a little CTC book, and a miniature pie.

Tell us more about this mysterious pie

In my experience, most pies are miniature...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #18 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:52:51 am »
I've done the "Phil Liggett" Challenge ride the last couple of years.

It's an Audax, with Sportive prices.

They charge sportive prices, but you don't get any of the support that you would on a sportive. There's no feed stations, just Cafe stops (which you have to pay for). Last year the route was actually signed. Although they used exactly the same route sheet as the year before, with a warning about a closed road that was a year out of date.

Not very impressed.

The route's nice, but I wouldn't enter it again.

« Reply #19 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:32:24 pm »
They promoted it as this Vorsprung. When I got to the end I was presented with a pie about 3 inches in diameter and 7/8" deep. I was not tremendously impressed, visions of the first ever AUK sit down protest flashed before me if this ever gets served on an Audax.

Problem was, they didn't cater for veggies - so I went hungry! Thoughts of beans on toast, rice pud and peaches etc that are always available at the end of an audax ride; so I   :'(

I'll try to earn my redemption next week on the Mad March.

Good luck with that Andy (I was there last year). Good to see you yesterday too - at least the route made me get up 2 hills I wouldn't have otherwise chosen to use  :thumbsup: