Author Topic: To Rohloff or not ?  (Read 23812 times)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Re: To Rohloff or not ?
« Reply #50 on: 09 February, 2010, 12:08:12 pm »
I've got two custom built Hewitts - he has a frame builder that works part time in the back of the shop, can't recall his name. Very good quality welds (better than a friends similar Condor frame!) which they do not feel the need to file down, perfectly aligned, finish was good but not perfect (they don't do the paint jobs in house) and more importantly the price was at the lower end of the range from most UK custom builders despite quality columbus tubing used etc.
Second one was a cheeky cycle to work scheme indulgence.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

LEE

« Reply #51 on: 09 February, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »
It's actually a pretty convenient place for a shifter on a touring bike

Are SJS on a mission to make bikes that look like industrial machinery?

Even my MTB shifters on a drop bar look better than that!

I think most bikes look almost exactly like industrial machinery.  Stick some threshing attachments on the wheels and they are industrial machinery.

The photo is taken from about 12".  It's more discreet in reality (to the point where people don't even see it).  It honestly works really well there.  Like I say it's more convenient than downtube shifters and, in my opinion (as I rarely use the drops), bar-end shifters.

Also in that photo is a Minoura Space-Grip hanging off an accessory bar (to get my lights below my bar-bag). That was a mess but it's all gone now, new light is mounted on fork crown.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 09 February, 2010, 09:22:06 pm »
I just want the shifter in the bar-end lever position.  Shouldn't be difficult.

Shove a length of MTB handlebar into the end of the drop bars and mont shifter on that?

That's what I did to fit drop bars on an old MTB, using grip-shifters. Worked a treat. I still have the bars in the garage if anybody wants them...

Bob Jacksons have a tourer with just this arrangement in the shop right now.  They've cut the bottom section of the bar back slightly so it doesn't stick out too far.
Getting there...

PH

« Reply #53 on: 10 February, 2010, 07:07:26 pm »
Have you decided how you're going to tension the chain?
If you go for an EBB be careful which style.  The Van Nicholas has a wedge type, I nearly went for one of these, but there are plenty of reports of them creaking.  The type Thorn use with the set screws isn't such a good idea in a titanium shell according to the builders I spoke to, they said there was a possibility of the force distorting the shell.  That only leaves the split and clamp type, there's a picture of one on here somewhere, it's what the builders for Singular are doing, I'm sure it's fine if the welding is good enough, but it does look crude.
It's worth a bit of research before you commit yourself.

« Reply #54 on: 10 February, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »
I ordered the bike today and took a lot of advice from Paul (Hewitt).
He didn't recommend EBBs so Enigma are sourcing some horizontal drop-outs.
I've gone for a Hubbub mount for the shifter, even though I think that the cable-run isn't exactly elegant.

OT- it's mind-boggling what the choices are if you get a bike made. I've only been cycling regularly since 2007 (before that it was when I was in my early teens) and I still haven't a clue about many of the types of components eg even last year I wouldn't have known what an EBB was  :-[
This time, as last time, I relied heavily on Paul's knowledge. It worked a treat last time so I'm sure it'll be as good this time. He's a top bloke (and very patient).

Only four months to wait.......................

rdaviesb

« Reply #55 on: 10 February, 2010, 08:27:13 pm »
The perfect day then...... Toekneep and I should form a welcoming committee in June! :-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »
Bob Jacksons said they preferred not to use EBBs (though they would fit one if asked) because they change the geometry of the effective seat tube.

Mind you, we have one on the tandem, and I can't really tell when it's in a different position.
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 10 February, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
The perfect day then...... Toekneep and I should form a welcoming committee in June! :-)

The perfect day will be when the bike arrives  ;D
We're planning to do London-Paris in mid-June so I hope that it arrives before then, otherwise I'll be on my MTB. That wouldn't be too bad though- I'll have my Hewitt built 700C wheels on it by then. It already seems very fast with the semi-knobbly 26".
Want the Enigma though   ;)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #58 on: 11 February, 2010, 12:02:22 am »
Good luck getting your shiny new bike in time, Cb.

I rode a Rolhoff equipped bike for a week and didn't really notice the noise. It seemed a bit draggy, but I was riding fixed at the time and quite enjoyed being able to shift and even shift whilst stationary.

Don't think I would justify the expense for a commuter bike, which is where I think hub gears work best.
I quite like the SRAM Spectre S7. Spare click boxes and internals seem easily available. The one on my Brox still seem to hold up well even though that was a pedicab brought up from London.

PH

« Reply #59 on: 11 February, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »
Bob Jacksons said they preferred not to use EBBs (though they would fit one if asked) because they change the geometry of the effective seat tube.

They're in good company, Mercian say the same.  The maximum height difference on my Thorn is less than the difference between my two pairs of shoes.  I'm sure there are those sensitive enough to notice it, I'm not one of them.
Enigma are sourcing some horizontal drop-outs.
Rohloff do a sliding dropout for a frame with a corresponding slot.  You can get these with a disk brake mount on the part that slides, which means the brake doesn't need adjusting when you move the wheel.  In case that doesn't make sense, here's a photo;
http://timetogetnaked.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/details20003.jpg
This also has the advantage of making your bike future proof, fitting another design of hub or even a derailleur just requires bolting different dropouts in.
I'd expect Paul Hewitt or Enigma to be well clued up on this stuff, but when it's my money I never like to make that assumption.
Are you going for Ti forks again?
Not tempted by belt drive?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 11 February, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »
That's what Jacksons fit.  Neat job.
Getting there...

« Reply #61 on: 11 February, 2010, 11:16:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions PH.
I've e-mailed Hewitts to ask their opinions about the sliding drop-outs.

Belt drive ? Hhhmmm. Interesting and appealing. I've asked about that as well.

OT (slightly)- Gates used to be a customer of mine in my last job. I supplied them with polyurethane elastomer.

Nick H.

« Reply #62 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:28:53 pm »
I'm a bit late to this party but I didn't choose Rohloff when building my tourer because:

(a) the noise. I can't hear any noise from my bike except whooshing from the tyres and spokes.  (The derailleur is a 7400 Dura Ace with the SIS switched off.) I can't abide any clicking, ticking, whirring etc. It brings me down. The bike is not permitted to gobble up any more of my effort than absolutely necessary.

(b) gaps between Rohloff ratios are not as small as you can get with a derailleur. 5 of my 8 sprockets are one tooth apart. 

I might wish I had a Rohloff if I eat through lots of chains and sprockets in remote corners of the world, but I hope I'll mitigate this a bit by having 8 speed Uniglide. My dropouts are Rohloff compatible in case I change my mind one day - perhaps when future Rohloffs are lighter, quieter and allow you to choose your own ratios?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #63 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:57:16 pm »
Belt drive ? Hhhmmm. Interesting and appealing. I've asked about that as well.
Should you ever be in the East Midlands, or if there's a forum get-together where our paths intersect, I'd consider it my duty to bore you rigid with anecdotes and useless information about my belt-drive Trek.
The belt drives an 8-speed Nexus hub (strangely, the hub says "Nexus" but the shifter says "Alfine"); for a commuting bike, the number of gears isn't that important, but the overall range is a bit limiting.  First Gear is too high, and I've almost never used 8th.  And the BIGGEST problem with belt drive is that alternative-sized sprockets and chainbeltrings are not readily available.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #64 on: 13 February, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »
I quite like the SRAM Spectre S7. Spare click boxes and internals seem easily available. The one on my Brox still seem to hold up well even though that was a pedicab brought up from London.

That is interesting. We had the 5 speed on our old bakfiets, and it felt bombproof compared to nexus, albeit the shifting was more agricultural. I'd been told that the weak point was the clickbox, and that they were non replaceable.