Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 145176 times)

LEE

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #875 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:27:59 pm »
It was a great sprint performance, but the overhead shot shows him passing Roche and Sanchez, which exaggerates the speed differential. Cavendish seemed to lag behind Boasen Hagen, and was on a Lotto wheel, but it gave him a clearer run in the end. We don't see any of the other sprinters in the overhead shot.

.....Brad's turn of speed was impressive in the lead-out, but the camera did flatter Cav a bit, as the riders we got to compare him with were Sanchez and Roche, who'd just been on a long breakaway

I don't think it flattered him one tiny bit.  I think it demonstrated what the best sprinter in the World (ever?) can do and how it compares to "normal" World Class cyclists when it comes to those final 200 metres.

Usually we only get to see him surging past other sprinters but this really showed what a special person he is and just how quickly these folks move.  I'd love to see the final 500m from above.

Stunning speed and perfect timing.  I knew beforehand that he'd won the stage but, with 100 to go, I thought there must have been a clerical error.

« Reply #876 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:46:11 pm »
That stage had nearly everything. 
- Donkeys in yellow, green and polka dot jerseys lining up for the helicopter camera. 
- Dog carnage. 
- Gilbert terrifying the daughter of said dog's owner.
- The yellow jersey in the lead out.
- A will-they-won't they make it? break.
- LL Sanchez' sudden capitulation when his stage win chance crumbled as Cav zoomed pass.*
- Cav winning in style.

*Come to think of it, Sanchez has had a lot of 'looks'. 
There was that remonstration when he turned round and saw Wiggins leading out Boassan Hagan to the Cap D'Agde finish, as if to say 'You have yellow, let another team have the stage'.
There was the apparent double-take when Sagan caught him up on the Mur de Péguère: 'What the hell are you doing here?'
The extended salute looking backwards on the same stage when he was sure he'd won.
And today's: 'I give up. What chance do I have against that?'

AndyK

« Reply #877 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »
There was me lusting after that sexy French Eurosport interviewer and it turns out she's Hungarian !  Where is Professor Higgins when you need him ?

Me too. The first shot from road level i thought, 'that was close!' Then they showed the aerial view and I thought 'F*ck me! Where's he hiding the jet engine?!'

« Reply #878 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »
I don't think it flattered him one tiny bit.  I think it demonstrated what the best sprinter in the World (ever?) can do and how it compares to "normal" World Class cyclists when it comes to those final 200 metres.

Usually we only get to see him surging past other sprinters but this really showed what a special person he is and just how quickly these folks move.  I'd love to see the final 500m from above.

Stunning speed and perfect timing.  I knew beforehand that he'd won the stage but, with 100 to go, I thought there must have been a clerical error.

I'd like to have seen a wider overhead shot to see how Goss and Sagan got ahead of Sanchez and Roche.
The fascinating aspect of radio tactics is the conflict between going for the jugular and allowing other teams their moment in the Sun. Sean Yates had been advising Sky to let the break go, which would have built up goodwill. I'd prefer to let the best team win, which is what happened. It does open up the possibility of national teams cooperating against GB in the Olympics, which might brighten up the Olympics Road Race.

« Reply #879 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
Yeah, Goss and Sagan were not that far behind Cav in the end and considering they started the sprint behind him anyway, they were never going to go past him.

What was left of the break was going backwards by the time Cav passed them. Still looked great on the telly though  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #880 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »
For what was supposed to be a boring rest stage, that was f--in' great! I keep re-running the finish and trying to work out how Cav got through. Much as I am torn between thinking that Sky have made it the dullest Tour for some years and being ecstatic to see a British winner, I know for certain that I want to see Cav win on Sunday. The way he has ridden this tour deserves nothing less.  Let's hope he moves team afterwards, but not to the same one as Froome :-)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #881 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
I thought that the most extraordinary part of Cav's sprint was how long it was.
He dropped off Boasson Hagen's wheel and then he came up with that surge from miles behind a long way back.
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
It bodes well for the Olympic (if I can still say that without being sued) road race. Even if the other teams gang up, can they cope with the Brailsford tactics combined with a team of Cavendish/Frome/Millar/Stannard/whatsisname ? I doubt it.

I've commented before about the HTC lead-out train being one of the most spectacular sporting images that I've ever seen.
Wiggins in the yellow jersey leading out EBH and Cav comes very close.

I'm looking forward to seeing that on Sunday.

« Reply #882 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:53:00 pm »
what a fabulous race it was indeed!  I particularly loved the way that both wiggins and cavs interviews suggest that it was a rider decision to go for the win. Perhaps only they really 'get' the emotional benefits of cav being able to break rather than equal a sprinters record in this tour?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #883 on: 21 July, 2012, 07:10:20 am »
Loved this tweet from David Harmon
Overheard: Sean intv with Belgian radio. "Roche didn't win but we'll claim Cav. The IOM is nearer to Ireland than Britain anyway." Quality
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #884 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:16:23 am »
This is all getting rather excellent. 

What it needs now is a mod with a feckin' huge sound system blasting out "London Calling" as Wiggo leads Cav out down the Champs Élysées..

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #885 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:50:12 am »
Calling Valiant! Sam, time to break out a new boogie box... ;D

« Reply #886 on: 21 July, 2012, 12:26:02 pm »
That was a damned impressive sprint by Cav.  I've only just watched it on ITV Player, having snoozed through the coverage yesterday, recovering from the FNRttC (on Thursday Night / Friday morning, it was the Newhaven-Dieppe run).  As others have said, compared to the average professional cyclist he is spectacularly fast.  The average cyclists on here would basically be stationary compared to him, even working as hard as we could!

I'm not sure this Tour de France has been the most boring ever.  We've had quite a few impressive stages.  The last week has sometimes been a bit slow, but certainly not on the mountains, and that's natural to a certain extent, after two weeks of racing.  The riders are all getting a bit knackered, so not every stage is going to be full of excitement and continuous sprinting.

There have been plenty of other races where riders have gotten into yellow, and stayed there for a large period, way ahead of other riders, and I don't think they've been accused of making the race boring.  There are multiple jerseys that can be won, and the stages themselves, so it's a rare race when something worth watching isn't going on.  Today and tomorrow will have the time-trial, and the final run into Paris, and whilst the Jerseys are probably all sorted, it'll still be worth watching to see how the TT goes down, and whether Cav can get another spring finish under his belt.

I don't think this has been a boring race, and it'll certainly be exciting to see Bradley, and probably Froome take 1st and 2nd on the podium.  A bit of patriotism isn't misplaced, and both riders are exceptional cyclists anyway.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #887 on: 21 July, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
^agree
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #888 on: 21 July, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »
Loved this tweet from David Harmon
Overheard: Sean intv with Belgian radio. "Roche didn't win but we'll claim Cav. The IOM is nearer to Ireland than Britain anyway." Quality
;D

« Reply #889 on: 21 July, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »
loved the reaction of Sanchez as Cav sailed past, wish I could finish a 100k like that :)

« Reply #890 on: 21 July, 2012, 02:52:33 pm »
HD on ITV really is good. I have watched other sports using HD but never had the chance to see any road cycling. It really is quite stunning. Perhaps I am just feeling happy  :-\

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #891 on: 21 July, 2012, 02:54:39 pm »
Just watched yesterday's stage highlights. Wow, those lights were high indeed! Really exciting finish. Although in a way I was disappointed not to see one of the breakaway riders win, Cav's rocket speed is incredible to watch. Actually, to see not watch - it's too fast to watch! And the way Sanchez and Roche were so bewildered by his zooming past that they actually freewheeled and got overtaken by the other sprinters too.

Elsewhere, Tommy Voeckler's matching jersey, shorts and bike made me smile.  :D Although he did look a bit like a pantomime cow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #892 on: 21 July, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
I'm amused that Wiggle is using the Allez Wiggo thing with their logo modified appropriately!  Quick thinking on their part!

« Reply #893 on: 21 July, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
Hells bells, Wiggins just knocked 11 seconds off of Froome at the first time check.  I think Froome had already knocked 25 seconds off of the previous fastest, so Wiggins is flying.  Hopefully he hasn't gone off too fast, but if he keeps it up, he'll win this stage by a good margin!

« Reply #894 on: 21 July, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »
... and Wiggins has taken over 50 seconds off of Froome at the second time check. :o

I think we can see why Wiggins is the team leader, and not Froome!

« Reply #895 on: 21 July, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »
I'm amused that Wiggle is using the Allez Wiggo thing with their logo modified appropriately!  Quick thinking on their part!

I noticed Ribble were a bit too quick - sending out a "Celebrate Bradley Wiggins Victory in Le Tour de France..." email several days ago! Talk about tempting fate...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #896 on: 21 July, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
So, Sky set to pip Sanchez on the line again!
He must just love the lads from Sky.

« Reply #897 on: 21 July, 2012, 04:39:18 pm »
Brilliant, just brilliant by both Froome and Wiggo, and Richie P as well.  3 Sky riders in top 5 for TT.

« Reply #898 on: 21 July, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »
Bloody hell.  When everyone else is beating each other by a few seconds, Froome knocks over 30 seconds off of Sanchez, and then Wiggins kicks over a minute off of that!

The lads from Sky are absolutely storming Time Trialists!  Bradley averaged over 31mph for over an hour of cycling.  I'm doing pretty well if I can stay above 30mph for a minute on the flat!

« Reply #899 on: 21 July, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »
Well done Brad. I tried out my anecdote of pushing Wiggo off on a Southport club 10, and following him today at the Mersey Roads. Blackburnrod, the timekeeper of the 24, was able to boast that he'd been on the same ride, and not been caught, although he was 6 minutes ahead. Let's hope we see a run of rouleur's Tours.