Author Topic: Soup Makers  (Read 1223 times)

Soup Makers
« on: 13 November, 2023, 08:22:11 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of getting a soup maker. Has the panel any experience of them and any recommendations?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Soup Makers
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2023, 10:37:08 pm »
Possibly helpful:
We don't but we have a Kenwood multi blender. The stick attachment is ideal for doing soups in a saucepan and then both the stick and pan go in the dishwasher. We have to chop the harder ingredients like carrots or potatoes, but that appears to be the case for the cheaper soup makers too.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2023, 07:38:10 am »
We have one. Effectively it's a liquidiser with a hotplate and a timer.
MrsC loves it (not that she makes soup that often). I'm quite happy with a saucepan and a blender (stick or otherwise).

The big advantage is that you can leave it to do its thing without the worry of boiling over. Just set the timer and walk off.
The big disadvantage is that it can be difficult to do the initial softening of onions and the like.

Am I happy to use it? Yes.
Would I get another one if this one broke? Probably not.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2023, 10:24:13 am »
We call ours Warwick but we never eat soup so it's in a cupboard somewhere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2023, 10:45:46 am »
Unless it will do jobs you can't do with your existing gadgets, don't bother.

I just get everything to a simmer on the AGA hob and then into the simmer over for however long it takes.
Stick bender if required.
I quite like veg and lentil broth. No need to blend, but I do grate the veg before cooking, including potato - it gives a glutinous texture which I like....

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2023, 04:19:15 pm »
Yes, I'm wondering if it'll become a dust-gathering object in the kitchen. I'll see if anyone is flogging one cheaply on Farcebook Marketplace.

I do use the breadmaker often, and the blender and I like soups, so it's worth a try, I spose.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2023, 04:19:46 pm »
I saw a Ninja soup maker on Gumtree for cheap that I pondered until I read the review that said that the only way you could clean it was by running it with water and washing up liquid in it (i.e it's not suitable for immersion) at which point I stopped. I just bought a new stick blender to go with the pressure cooker.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2023, 04:57:39 pm »
You’ll end up sautéing the veg first anyway (like for most slow- and multi-cookers) so it’s not, IMO a great asset. Plus when making soup I’ll make half a gallon and freeze it in portions for future consumption. I use the pressure cooker (though not necessarily at pressure, it’s a nice big pan) for my soups, plus a stick blender or liquidiser dependent on constituents and the final texture required.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2023, 06:47:18 pm »
I saw a Ninja soup maker on Gumtree for cheap that I pondered until I read the review that said that the only way you could clean it was by running it with water and washing up liquid in it (i.e it's not suitable for immersion) at which point I stopped.
I'd forgotten that bit about using them. It's not that much of a pain unless you put everything else in the dishwasher.

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2023, 09:36:40 pm »
Plus when making soup I’ll make half a gallon and freeze it in portions for future consumption.

That is what I do as well. Usually about 3 litres. No idea how much you can make in a soupmaker?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:37:28 pm »
First I used up my stockpile of parmesan rinds (350g of them) to make parmesan broth in the pressure cooker.
Then I made this https://www.dontgobaconmyheart.co.uk/roasted-vegetable-soup/

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:40:35 pm »
First I used up my stockpile of parmesan rinds (350g of them) to make parmesan broth in the pressure cooker.
Intrigued. How do you store the rinds and what to you do with them to make broth?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 15 November, 2023, 07:46:57 pm »
Balls, I meant to post this in the soup recipes thread. I shall move over there....
Info here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=127150.msg2855510#msg2855510

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2023, 06:14:17 am »
Yes, I'm wondering if it'll become a dust-gathering object in the kitchen. I'll see if anyone is flogging one cheaply on Farcebook Marketplace.

I do use the breadmaker often, and the blender and I like soups, so it's worth a try, I spose.

I have one to give away if you are near Northampton, it's the same model my wife uses. Also disposing of a breadmaker, Halogen air fryer thingy and other kitchen items, all free but collection only from Kislingbury, Northampton or Oundle.

« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2023, 08:19:31 am »
Soup maker, someone say?