Author Topic: Successful carrot experiment  (Read 3612 times)

steveB

Successful carrot experiment
« on: 11 June, 2008, 08:25:56 pm »
I know a few of you have had trouble with the early carrot crop this year,  not many hours ago I pulled a bunch of early Nante and they were pretty good, no fly ingress and they looked and tasted pretty good.

I sowed them early, seven rows about 15cm apart, each row about a metre long, put planks edge on around the bed and covered with fleece until germination, which was very even.

The experiment has been an out and out success, I shall certainly do it next season - just thought I'd share this tip with you.

I will probably sow a couple of rows straight into open ground this week as the weather is so warm, by the time they come up the carrot fly should be long gone - maybe in someone else's crop. :demon:

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Re: Successful carrot experiment
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »
food for thought. never had any success with carrots. either direct planting, from seedlings or faffing about with a length of gutter...
A shitter and a giggler.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »
Carrots don't seem to do here either, but I'm not far from jellied.

Kathy

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:22:29 am »
My carrots didn't do at all well, on account of somebody spending a happy day digging up all the seedlings.

Carrots don't survive the ferret rotavator impression. :(

Si

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »
Woo-hoo.  Of my first carrot bed I've had one come up at last :thumbsup:

But as it's several inches tall and no sign of any of the others I'm not holding out much hope.  :'(

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:30:10 am »
I was lazy with the carrots and seeded up a rectangular container with a couple of rows and so far ive got some good growth going on. Think it may of been pot luck though  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:22:11 pm »
Woo-hoo.  Of my first carrot bed I've had one come up at last :thumbsup:

But as it's several inches tall and no sign of any of the others I'm not holding out much hope.  :'(

Maybe they've all joined up to make one giant super-carrot and your carrot bed will shortly see a re-enactment of The Giant Great Big Enormous Turnip, or whatever it was called.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:03:06 pm »
Has anyone ever managed to grow a carrot shaped like Ester Rantzen? (younger readers might not understand this.)

Si

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:14:01 pm »
If only my carrot were over sized or commical, alas, no, just a very small and average carrot.  But the second carrot bed is doing well.

Plus I have umpteen radishes shaped like bottoms which the old bloke in the arm chair with the round glasses would have been deeply moved by.

Otto

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:22:51 pm »
My carrots have come up trumps this year..last year the flies got them this time I surrounded them with marigolds. and threw the dead headed flowers from the marigolds amongst them...its kept the flies away a treat...just nice crunchy hole free carrots

Si

« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2008, 05:34:46 pm »
I tried growing garlic betwen the lines of carrot in order to mask the smell rom the fly. But something keeps digging up my garlic  >:(