Author Topic: Acaia scales going cheap  (Read 1850 times)

Acaia scales going cheap
« on: 16 June, 2020, 12:42:03 pm »
Yes, Acaia scales are an absolutely ridiculous price. Still, if you want one, I've never seen them cheaper.

https://www.coffeeisland.co.uk/catalog/homeBarista

eg the cheapest I can find a lunar is £234, but with the welcomeback code, here, it comes in at £172. The other scales are still the cheapest anywhere with the code, albeit by not such a large margin.

To be clear, that isn't to say I think it's sensible to pay £172 for a coffee scale.

Even in a small font, I am too ashamed to admit whether I ordered one.

Re: Acaia scales going cheap
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2020, 12:59:33 pm »
Wow. You would expect that kind of price for chemistry but for weighing coffee ...

I'm wondering about getting one of these:

https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/accessories/coffee-grinders/calibra-coffee-grinder-with-integrated-scale/

£125 list and it grinds as well as weighs :)

Yes I know it probably wont be consistent enough a grind for espresso but I only make filter coffee so I really don't care.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
I just picked up a Wilfa Svart for filter based on James Hoffman's recommendation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aChUZZOp654

It's quick, grind retention is crazy low (.3 of a g in my experience) and the steps are actually useful (I switch between filter and aeropress).

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:18:22 pm »
I've had (actually, got but no longer use for much) a Molino and it's a good little grinder, upgraded to a Eureka which shows the benefit for espresso, but for filter the Melita is fine.

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2020, 01:46:16 pm »
I'm waiting for the De’Longhi KG79 to finally die. I have had it for donkeys and it still soldiers on. The rubber is wearing off and its always been a bugger for static and hard to clean but it certainly doesn't owe me anything.

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2020, 02:14:38 pm »
Which Eureka? Am tempted by a Specialita.

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »
I've got the Mignon fromthis guy http://www.myespresso.co.uk/product/eureka-grinder-black/ (as a deal with the Rancilio Silvia) it has no bells and whistles, but I get on with it fine.

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:46:53 pm »
Always find it weird when people pay over the odds for something that adds no value whatsoever.  £30 scale, £250 scale=same. Wont make coffee taste better.

Adding £250 to your grinder budget will

« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:19:39 pm »
Isn't the spending more the aim itself ? Likethese digital ethernet audio connectors or these

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:27:32 pm »
Hi-fi cables.  I like reading the reviews on them where people can claim to hear a broader soundstage or warmer mids.   

Bit like reading reviews of deep rim wheelsets or aero frames in cycling mags  ;)

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:59:03 am »
Isn't the spending more the aim itself ? Likethese digital ethernet audio connectors or these

Oh lordy that's painful. Basic lack of understanding on how Ethernet works by those buying this stuff. Also "objective perceptual testing" is that not an oxymoron?

« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:08:37 am »
Always find it weird when people pay over the odds for something that adds no value whatsoever.  £30 scale, £250 scale=same. Wont make coffee taste better.

Adding £250 to your grinder budget will

I think the value depends on whether you think that the flow data is interesting, and that being able to easily evaluate the process will aid reproducibility. My day job is process evaluation and causal modelling. I'm always spending money on things that support measurement that could be spent on improving the outcome.

I think Acaias are ridiculous money, and totally unnecessary, but then so are power meters.

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:59:57 am »
I guess the people who buy these things already have £2000 EK grinders.

People think I'm a coffee nerd, but they have no idea. I reckon Im not even halfway along that spectrum.

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2020, 12:02:44 pm »

Oh lordy that's painful. Basic lack of understanding on how Ethernet works by those buying this stuff. Also "objective perceptual testing" is that not an oxymoron?

I think you can leave out the oxygen.

HiFi buffs probably don't want to believe that their PERFECT sound data can squeeze through a fraction of a normal 100Mb ethernet link, so a 40Gb cable must stop all those little bits and bytes being cramped. As Flatus says, the reviews make amusing reading, like:

This is a very good cable. In my system it definitely increased the amount of detail in the music. I would rate it about on a par with Audioquest Vodka, but it is significantly cheaper.

and

Having noted the significant performance improvement by upgrading from Cinnamon to Vodka , I decided to upgrade to a Diamond ethernet cable.

This had added more clarity and separation and I am really pleased with the performance.