Author Topic: Michael Crichton Micro. Brill!  (Read 904 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Michael Crichton Micro. Brill!
« on: 21 May, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »
Just read this. It is so bad its actually really good.  Its Jurassic Park meets Honey I shrunk the Kids, with survivalist chemists.
The3 basic idea is simply brilliant - that nano machines are just miniturized versions of the full size ones and will be operasted by miniturized people.  How cool is that? Its done with magnets of course.
The plot is magnificent and you know exactly whatr is going to happen at least a dozen pages before it does which leads to the desire to cheer when the thing you have guessed will happen actually does.
Of course there is an evil biotech boss and its been weaponised.  Miniture special forces guys flying miniature planes armed with toxin gas guns. awesome. Plus drones that fly into the eye and then explode through arteries.
It has some of the best script lines. When the hero is eaten by surprise another character says 'we never expected Peter to get killed'. You just don't see writing that bad.
Thrown in poison centipedes/ant attack,  predator bats, egg laying parasite wasp, the bit from Aliens in the nest, al with flying about in biplanes the size of a moth -  and there is the makings of a most excellent film.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Michael Crichton Micro. Brill!
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »
Oooh, splendid  :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »
I just find it hard to get past Crichton's so-shite-it's-special prose. He is up there with Dan Brown and the authors of 'See Spot Run'.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »
I really loved Micro and Andromeda Strain.

When I was about 12.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »
Has anyone seen my copy of "Airframe"?  Gone, disparu, like Mother's mink.

Also, I bought it at Thiefrow airport, which may not have been the most sensible thing to do.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
I really loved Micro and Andromeda Strain.

For me The Andromeda Strain film sums up all that was great about 1970's cinema.  The book was certainly one of his better ones.

I quite enjoyed Congo, too.  Though the least said about the film of that, the better.

And The Terminal Man should be required reading for anyone about to receive a brain stimulation implant.  ;D