Author Topic: Replacing Campag Hubs?  (Read 1045 times)

Replacing Campag Hubs?
« on: 13 June, 2020, 09:43:30 am »
The Campag Chorus silver 10sp hubs on my bestest wheels are showing signs of that dreaded powdery. flaky corrosion on the flanges, so won't be safe to use. The Ambrosio Excellence rims have hardly any wear so it would be a shame to ditch them.
In these days of factory built wheels, it doesn't look like Campag hubs are readily available any more. I guess I could use something like Hopes as a replacement but would prefer to use Campag if possible, ideally Chorus again, but would be happy with eg Centaur, Daytona, Athena...
Any suggestions as to who might have any for sale? TIA.

Re: Replacing Campag Hubs?
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:05:23 am »
Thanks HF, yeah I saw that. I should have said, it's 32h I need.

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2020, 01:33:14 pm »
any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Wheel-Hubs-Silver-32H/143611780239

cheers
Hadn't thought about 2nd hand or NOS but worth a look for sure.
Just a thought, which may avoid spending lots of £££ that I don't have: I've a couple of 8sp hubs in excellent condition that I don't really need. Would it be possible to use the shell off one of them and transplant the innards of the dead hub into it - OR - (far less work) just fit the 10sp freehub on to an 8sp hub?
A good wheeze, or "don't even think about it"?

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2020, 06:34:56 pm »
I have looked at doing that and there are too many differences for it to work easily.  I (rightly or wrongly) concluded that the path of least resistance was to make  a campag 10s cassette fit the 8s campag freewheel body. This requires that the sprocket splines are ground down and (I think) would work most easily with a cheaper 10s cassette.  I also think that one other manufacturer (ambrosio? Bianchi?) used the 8s spline until recently and that you can buy 10s cassettes to fit.

But having said this, there are easier ways, eg

-Novatec hub (eg F172) (available with shimano or campag bodies)
- Miche hubs ( available with campag or shimano freewheel bodies)
- use a shimano hub with a respaced cassette. 

Fundamentally campag hubs are not 100% compatible with British weather (or more accurately the road salt they strew about in the wintertime); they corrode too easily (and always have done, really).

To respace a shimano 10s cassette (it can't be a 'carrier' type, so CS-4600 and CS-HG500-10 with 'loose sprockets' are OK ) to match campag 10s spacing requires something like seven shims (or nine if you want to swap wheels more easily without adjusting limit screws) 0.2mm thickness; these can be made from beer can (~ two thicknesses) and the modified cassette fits most easily to a shimano 11s freehub body (with a thin spacer at the back in most cases).

hth

cheers
cheers

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »
I have a pair of wheels for sale.  They are Campagnolo Record 10-speed cassette hubs in silver built onto Mavic Open pro rims 32/32.

PM me if interested.

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:11:34 am »
Try CycleClinic - Malcolm Borg in Suffolk. He carries various hubs including Campag

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2020, 10:07:04 am »
One way to prolong the life of a campag hub is not cleaning it after a ride. The chain oil that drips onto it serves as a protective coating, some  people clean the bike too often.