Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952317 times)

Hillbilly

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3400 on: 29 July, 2013, 06:46:24 am »
Igby Goes Down

First film for a while where I struggled to squeeze enjoyment out of it.  It's not a bad film, just one that serves little to no purpose.  One of the Culkin clan rebels against his upbringing, slowly drifting apart when the matriarchal glue starts to come undone.  Not as funny or as insightful as it could have been, with a good cast not really firing on all cylinders.

LEE

« Reply #3401 on: 29 July, 2013, 08:58:40 am »
Wreck It Ralph.

Disney prove once again that they just can't do it as well as Pixar.

A confusing hot-potch of a story trying to be a computer game version of Toy Story (and failing).

fuzzy

« Reply #3402 on: 29 July, 2013, 09:36:34 am »
The Raid.

Feck me :o  Talk about kick ass and just about everything else that you can kick (and a few body parts you would struggle to kick).

« Reply #3403 on: 29 July, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
The Wolverine

Not my choice, CFS-sick child wanted to see movie, that was the one we could get to.

As his big sister said "It's like they took a 4-hour movie and edited it down to two hours, missing out most of the story."

Some great action sequences.

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3404 on: 29 July, 2013, 11:06:13 am »
As his big sister said "It's like they took a 4-hour movie and edited it down to two hours, missing out most of the story."
That's pretty much SOP for films these days, isn't it?

« Reply #3405 on: 29 July, 2013, 11:15:04 am »
That's pretty much SOP for films these days, isn't it?
Nah, I think with most of them they don't bother with the story to start with. This film had distinct overtones of having a complex story there somewhere. Probably in the graphic novel on which it was based.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3406 on: 29 July, 2013, 01:09:14 pm »
IME the opposite is mostly true - they take 60-90 minutes worth of story and drag it out to a four-hour film.

As mentioned upthread, one of the best things about Dredd is that it's 90 minutes worth of story in a 90 minute film. I'm very much of the Roger Corman school of thought on this matter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

« Reply #3407 on: 29 July, 2013, 06:40:29 pm »
Ali

Really disappointed. And I mean really. It should have been a great film given the subject. It could have been a good film but missed even that, for me anyway. Plus side, Will Smith as Ali is extremely good. He got so much of Ali just about spot-on, as far as I could tell. The voice, some of the swagger. He's always going to be Will Smith, popular in so many other films as a completely different character, so you cut him slack for that. But for me he missed that mischievous, sparkling glint in the eye, the slightly smug grin, that Ali had. Ali was a quick thinker, an intelligent man and maybe a manipulator. He knew what he was doing and when to do it. That glint and smile said that to me, and Smith couldn't get that.

The film showed Ali's political and religious side. His involvement with Malcolm X and Islam. It didn't portray Ali as only a boxer so it's to be commended for that. And for that, it had some added interest for me. But sadly where it failed, imho, was it's overuse of sound track. I just don't think of Ali and soul music together. At times, I felt as if I was being emotionally manipulated by the music, music that only really served to set the era rather than be relevant to the man. It was almost cliché too, love scenes to soul music. That's not Ali, that's almost lazy. It's why I threw the towel in.

'When We Were Kings' is a far far better movie.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3408 on: 31 July, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
Monday night:

Jack The Giant Slayer

The first 20 minutes or so are the stock Brothers Grimm fairy tale, then it goes off at a (enjoyable) tangent.  Nicely done, storyline was predictable, but there is only so far you can change such a story without messing it up completely.  Ian McShane was very good as the king, Jack was dopey enough, without looking like Benny from Crossroads but the princess was just not princess-y enough.  All in all a good yarn.

Tuesday night:

Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters

What a crock.  Gretel is done up to try to out do Ms Beckinsale in Underworld, but obviously the production budget couldn't stretch to a full leather outfit for her, not that she could have carried it off.  Hansel just gurned his way through, he was better as Hawkeye.  The plot had huge holes in it and the ending was visible from about 5 minutes after the opening credits.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

spindrift

« Reply #3409 on: 31 July, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »
Hell and High Water

Submarine war film with sweaty shirtless men and a striking looking woman I didn't recognise but thought looked Polish, so I looked up her rather sad story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bella_Darvi

« Reply #3410 on: 01 August, 2013, 12:57:46 am »
13 Assassins

A remake of of Eiichi Kudo’s 1963 black-and-white Japanese film of the same name, Jûsan-nin no shikaku, and rather good, if somewhat bloody.

Must dig out Hagakure for a re-read...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3411 on: 02 August, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »
Resident Evil starring Milla Jovovovich in Zombie Bashing Action!   :D

« Reply #3412 on: 02 August, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »
Pacific Rim

Great Robots, Great Action, ok acting, weak on story

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3413 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:12:41 pm »
13 Assassins

A remake of of Eiichi Kudo’s 1963 black-and-white Japanese film of the same name, Jûsan-nin no shikaku, and rather good, if somewhat bloody.

Must dig out Hagakure for a re-read...

Saw 75% of that the other night too Speshers, but still not a patch of Itchy Knee Chiaroscuro's 7 Samarai, which (for me) one can't help but make a comparison.

More modern ones I've also enjoyed have starred Byung-hun Lee (Korean) in: A Bitter Sweet Life <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0X9q1ho0ULQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0X9q1ho0ULQ&rel=1</a>, and no, the link isn't to a violent scene, but plays the title music (for a change!). He's also in The Good, the Bad, the Weird which is a very odd film.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Hillbilly

« Reply #3414 on: 02 August, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »
Last film I saw was 13 Assassins also.  On Film4 as part of their Heroes season (I don't usually comment on TV broadcast films, only cinema/DVD/bluray, but will make an exception for this peculiarity). 

I started off watching it thinking I would give it half an hour, and ended up seeing it through the whole 2 hours and more that it was screening for.  An good film that, despite being alien, took time to build up some characterisation and relationships between the characters.  The build up to the battle scene in the last 45 minutes was gradual, but when it got going it was relentless.  Glad to have seen it, and restored some faith in UK telly (it isn't often that subtitles, obscure Asian films are shown at the 9pm slot rather than silly o'clock in the morning).

Will give Bitter Sweet Life a try.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3415 on: 02 August, 2013, 09:39:43 pm »
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.  What a waste of a Lovefilm rental. Tiermat got it spot on so won't add anything more.  :(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3416 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:27:46 pm »
The Europa Report (itunes only): Proper hard-science sci-fi for people raised at Arthur C Clarke's teat.  Recommended.

(breezes the Bechdel test if you're counting; Anamaria Marinca is standout as the pilot)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3417 on: 03 August, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »
RED2 Standard fare, nothing eyeopening but good fun for a mindless evening.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3418 on: 04 August, 2013, 01:29:25 pm »
Valhalla Rising. What the buggery chuff was all that about?
He can see into the future.

Your fate is set - Viking belief.

Saw this on Friday and apart from the scenery it's a total pile of wank. It has a high score on IMDB so I had a look at the reviews to see what I missed. In amongst all the "I love this film, I'm so clever, if you don't get it you're thick" style reviews, there was this which neatly sums it up:

...a few of the rosier reviews would lead one to believe that this is a piece of life changing existentialist art. Those reviews are every bit as vacuous and pretentious as the aimless direction provided by Nicolas Refn. How self involved, how self important, how narcissistic was Refn's directing? We could have spent 90 minutes watching Refn masturbate on film, and in essence that's just what we did.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3419 on: 05 August, 2013, 10:20:08 am »
Byzantium

I really enjoyed it. Yes, it is yet another vampire flic, but quite different from most. 

Gemma Arterton is brill as the unchanging vampire whore and mother. Best bit of acting I've seen from her yet.

My son didn't enjoy it as he doesn't like carols and they used the Coventry Carol as the backing soundtrack through out the movie (sung or played in a variety of ways and tempos - it worked for me).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3420 on: 06 August, 2013, 12:48:00 pm »
I started watching Solomon Kane last night, but part way through I paused it to go and get a drink and it wouldn't start again, for some reason.  Shall have to re-load it onto my tablet next week.

Instead I watched Admission

The premise is sound, Tina Fey plays a student admissions officer at Princeton, who finds out one of the students who has applied is her son.

I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny, serious or neither (although if the former then it is missing a vital element, humour!)

It just drags and drags, eventually falling exhausted, rather than actually ending.

Not worth the time, in my opinion.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

spindrift

« Reply #3421 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:00:05 pm »
The Kids Are Alright.

Hilarious. Juilianne Moore and Annette Benning are a lesbian coupe with two kids (One is Mia Wasikowska off Jane Eyre) and the father- the sperm donor- Mark Ruffalo turns up. What a cast. Very sweet and funny and touching. It's odd that lesbians in films sometimes get off with men but gay men in films don't get off with women.  Can't think of any.

Jakob

« Reply #3422 on: 06 August, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »
Oblivion. Much better than I expected. Ending is a bit meh, but first half of the movie is very good.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3423 on: 08 August, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »
Naked Lunch

Cronenberg from the early nineties.  A tripped out film that riffs on William S Borough's life and work.  Fucked up but strangely compelling.

fuzzy

« Reply #3424 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:14:14 am »
Worlds End

Not as funny as Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz but still a good chuckle.