Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 91144 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #200 on: 18 February, 2021, 01:07:27 pm »
Oxfordshire is now doing a trial with Voi.  50 scooters based in Headington to start with - £1 fee plus 20p per minute. 10mph speed limit and only available 6am to 10pm.
https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/new-escooter-launch/

This sounds interesting:
offering incentives and encouraging riders to take Voi’s accredited e-scooter digital traffic school, which has trained over half a million users.

I just had a go.  First question:

Why is it important to always wear a helmet?
a) It prevents your skull from fracturing
b) All of the mentioned
c) It prevents and reduces injuries
d) It can save your life in the case of an accident

It rejected my answer "It prevents and reduces injuries".

...turns out it wants "All of the mentioned"  :facepalm:

Anyway, it seems to be a mixture of the sort of questions we all know from the driving theory test, combined with questions on how the scooters work, where they should be parked, whether you're colourblind, and so on.

Some problematic answers pertaining to parking the scooters on the pavement rather than the road, and riding in the gutter, but it's mostly sensible.  And I now have £5 of scooter credit to play with.

« Reply #201 on: 18 February, 2021, 01:10:07 pm »
whether you're colourblind

Is this a "oi mate, didn't you see that light was red?" type question?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #202 on: 18 February, 2021, 01:14:10 pm »
whether you're colourblind

Is this a "oi mate, didn't you see that light was red?" type question?

It's a "We've drawn a traffic light that looks nothing like a traffic light, with all the lights dark and a bright blue bike symbol, what does it mean?" question.  I fixated on the cycle symbol and failed to spot the stylised aura around the red light the first time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #203 on: 18 February, 2021, 01:58:49 pm »
Oxfordshire is now doing a trial with Voi.  50 scooters based in Headington to start with - £1 fee plus 20p per minute. 10mph speed limit and only available 6am to 10pm.
https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/new-escooter-launch/

This sounds interesting:
offering incentives and encouraging riders to take Voi’s accredited e-scooter digital traffic school, which has trained over half a million users.

I just had a go.  First question:

Why is it important to always wear a helmet?
a) It prevents your skull from fracturing
b) All of the mentioned
c) It prevents and reduces injuries
d) It can save your life in the case of an accident

It rejected my answer "It prevents and reduces injuries".

...turns out it wants "All of the mentioned"  :facepalm:
My amazement is almost as big as a fruit fly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #204 on: 18 February, 2021, 02:11:19 pm »
Yes, I did that the other day & now have £5 of credit as well.  I think they also refund your £1 hire fee if you park in an approved spot, which around here means they are cluttering up the rental bike stations.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #205 on: 06 March, 2021, 10:20:11 pm »
I finally had a go & rode from Mulberry St down to Church St,  13 minutes involving a main road with traffic lights & a couple of "shared use" areas which are classed as slow zones (Expanse ref, Splat!)

It took about 5 minutes to process my pic & driving licence, then I was away for a little scoot up & down Mulberry St.  Not sure I like this,  I feel a little unbalanced & am not sure what is the best position for  my size 10's on the bed of the scooter. 

Onto the main road, Myrtle St (A5039) and down the hill in traffic , skirting some roadworks & 2 sets of traffic lights.  Not liking this,  I don't feel that stable & the cars seem to be giving me less clearance than if I was on a bike.    Onto Bold St, which is usually traffic calmed, but is currently pedestrian only.  Speed drops to something I'd say was slower than my usual walking pace, but seemed to speed up unpredictably. 

Parked the scooter at the Citybike stand in Church St, which as an approved parking spot should give me a £ back on the rental.

That's a general "nah" from me.  I'd prefer one of the hire bikes, but these damn things seem to have usurped them.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #206 on: 16 March, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »
I've just noticed recently that the newer Voi scooters have flashing indicators built in to the bars. At first sight I thought they must be automatically triggered by steering and/or tilt, but on looking at one parked, no, there is a motorbike style switch on the left bar. It's just that people are using them like car drivers do, "I am already turning" not "I intend to turn".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #207 on: 16 March, 2021, 04:46:04 pm »
Noticed a neat little row of Voi scooters stacked up at either end of the taxi rank compost heap useful bit of filtered permeability up by the Barberry.  Having passed a several of them in motion (and not being ridden by the stereotypical scooterboy demographic) on the way there.  It appears they're becoming quite popular for local journeys that aren't well served by public transport.

« Reply #208 on: 16 March, 2021, 05:17:28 pm »

there is a motorbike style switch on the left bar. It's just that people are using them like car drivers do, "I am already turning" not "I intend to turn".
That'll be "designed by Audi"

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #209 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:12:46 pm »
Rochdale's year-long trial is about to start.  The firm is called "Lime", who run a scheme in Salford as well as "125 cities throughout the world".  It'll be interesting to see how it goes and I wish it well.  It's going to cost £1 to unlock the scooter and then 15p per minute, which might encourage use at maximum speed for as much as possible.  The maximum speed has been set at 12mph, so perhaps my suggestions (surely not the only ones!) have been influential!  I'll  try and post on how it goes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #210 on: 31 March, 2021, 05:36:41 pm »
How do people reckon the speed of these compares to cycling? Having been a lazy slob for the past couple of weeks six months or so, I haven't been out on the bike much so no chance to compare. But today I had a reason to cycle up the Gloucester Road and just ahead of me when I joined the main road were two e-scooters, obviously travelling together, and both two-up. I'm not sure how much if at all that would slow them down on the flat but I overtook them easily on the flat bit. They then overtook me by going through a red light. After the lights, the road goes up a bit and I didn't catch up with them again till 2 miles later (by which time the road is flat again). There were also a couple more traffic lights in there but they were all green for me. AIUI their restricted speed is 15mph. I think the main point here is actually how "efficient" jumping red lights can be when you have a low top speed but potential to maintain that speed (this doesn't mean I'm recommending jumping traffic lights).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #211 on: 31 March, 2021, 06:16:07 pm »
They seem comparable to e-bikes.  I can overtake them without much drama on the flat, but they're relatively quick uphill (though when I rode one I found it couldn't maintain its maximum speed on a steep climb).  Their standing-start acceleration is hampered by needing to provide a kick, which is down to the skill of the rider, but they do seem to accelerate quickly once in motion.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #212 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:17:52 pm »
They seem comparable to e-bikes.
As you'd expect, really.
Their standing-start acceleration is hampered by needing to provide a kick, which is down to the skill of the rider, but they do seem to accelerate quickly once in motion.
Another point in favour of jumping the lights.  :demon:

« Reply #213 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:00:28 am »
I think it depends on where you are. The Oxford rental ones are limited to 10mph, and that's properly slow, to the point they get overtaken by cyclists (and I think I've seen one get overtaken by a runner!). The private illegal ones vary - some seem capable of about 25mph and are more like mopeds.

« Reply #214 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:37:49 pm »
I think it depends on where you are. The Oxford rental ones are limited to 10mph, and that's properly slow, to the point they get overtaken by cyclists (and I think I've seen one get overtaken by a runner!). The private illegal ones vary - some seem capable of about 25mph and are more like mopeds.

From what I was reading yesterday, the Voi scooters being trialled in Portsmouth are going to be limited to 10 mph until mid-April, after which the limit will be increased to 15.5 mph (25 km/h). The council is also apparently using geo-fencing to keep them out of the pedestrianised zones in the city centre and Southsea.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #215 on: 01 April, 2021, 04:14:48 pm »
Yes, they were limited to 10mph for the first month or two in Bristol as well, it's clearly a standard policy for Voi and/or UK LAs. If the geofencing works the same way though, it won't actually keep the scooters out of areas, just reduce them to walking speed.

« Reply #216 on: 01 April, 2021, 05:08:05 pm »
On my trip into Yeovil to collect beer this afternoon, I noticed a row of scooters on the edge of the town. They're obviously hire ones, but I had no idea we were getting a scheme. Can't see me using them though, even if I do go back to working in the office. Wrong place for anything useful. Might give one a try just for fun.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #217 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:44:33 pm »
Gave way to a pavement-scooterboy at a zebra crossing just now, and noticed that - in classic moped style - his left indicator was blinking away, long forgotten.  So at least some of them have acquired indicators.

« Reply #218 on: 06 April, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
On my trip into Yeovil to collect beer this afternoon, I noticed a row of scooters on the edge of the town. They're obviously hire ones, but I had no idea we were getting a scheme. Can't see me using them though, even if I do go back to working in the office. Wrong place for anything useful. Might give one a try just for fun.
South Somerset Press Release
"For your own safety, don’t ride on roads with a speed limit above 30mph, unless there is a segregated cycle route". So Lysander Road is fine, but NCN 26 isn't...  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #219 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:51:06 pm »
Gave way to a pavement-scooterboy at a zebra crossing just now, and noticed that - in classic moped style - his left indicator was blinking away, long forgotten.  So at least some of them have acquired indicators.

Photographic evidence:

(It's out of focus, that's how you know it's real)

(Too close together at any real distance, as is usual for such things.)

(The complete absence of labelling probably explains why so many of the scooterboys are driving around with the left indicator permanently flashing.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #220 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:46:04 pm »
Won't somebody think of the children?
Police have issued guidance on what to do if you see an underage rider on an electric scooter.

Staple Hill councillor Ian Boulton revealed last week that the local beat team had informed him of recent reports of parents hiring Voi scooters for their children, despite riders needing to be at least 18 and have a valid driving licence.
As I've previously mentioned, it's possible to hire one with a provisional driving licence which gives your age as 17. Not only that, this licence can be used to hire several scooters simultaneously.

Still... kids on scooters!!!!  :o

« Reply #221 on: 21 April, 2021, 10:41:43 pm »
My wife is off to Bath for the day soon with work, she intends to travel by train then use a e-scooter to get to her destination which is a short distance away.

Being 28 weeks pregnant she finds walking as quickly as she used to difficult now, personally I think this is the beauty of e-scooters, helping folk travel short distances with ease.  I have a friend who would like one of their own as they often have flare ups that mean they can't walk very far, but feel the shop is too close to drive (it's probably 200m), they would love one so they can nip out and get milk or bread.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #222 on: 22 April, 2021, 08:42:04 am »
I think that by not legally allowing (but at the same time turning a blind eye to) private e-scooters, the regulators are not only missing the chance to help people like your friend but also missing the boat on regulation. A large proportion of private e-scooters seem to be ridden at far more than the 15mph which the official ones are limited to (and at which e-bikes cut out their assistance). I had a conversation with a randomly encountered e-scootist who said his was capable of 30mph. We know that some e-bikes are modded to higher speeds (or are never compliant to begin with) but 15mph has become established as the accepted speed, whereas it seems that they've really missed the chance to establish that convention with e-scooters. Though of course none of them are as fast (in terms of max speed) as cars.

« Reply #223 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:54:38 pm »
4 lads (probably students) on these things the other day - jumping off kerbs into traffic, then jumping back on so as to buzz pedestrians and small kids on bikes in the cycle lane.
Then they ran the red light and disappeared.  ::-)

« Reply #224 on: 06 May, 2021, 01:25:40 pm »

Out town introduced 200 green e-scooters with a maximum speed of 25kph on 27th April. An iPhone with the Bolt app is required. On 4th May we had our first accident (photo) where a male driver/rider with a passenger (passengers are prohibited here) ran a girl over from behind on the pavement (riding on pavements is allowed but only at walking speed). The girl survived the accident.