Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64567 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #175 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:47:06 pm »
Open to all comers?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #176 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:52:14 pm »
Would it be like diving where you get marked down for a splash?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #177 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:52:32 pm »
The first qualifying round has already taken place: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114653.msg2478894#msg2478894
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #178 on: 26 March, 2020, 06:07:03 pm »
My junk mail folder is noticeably thinner the last few days.

My xkcd://1279 doppelgangers have been having an online shopping fest.  One of them appears to be attempting to fight the virus with essential oils.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #179 on: 26 March, 2020, 06:13:12 pm »
xkcd://1279 doppelgangers

Had to look that up... oh yes, you've mentioned it before.

I don't have any of those. Kind of glad, though it does sound like a good source of amusement.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #180 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:16:44 pm »
I am getting paid a bonus... not as much as it could have been but - despite the potential impact of Covid19 on 2020 EBITDA - it's still a bonus.

And, due to Covid19 it will be paid this week rather than at the end of April as per usual.  If I kark it because of Covid at least Jon will have enough to pay for my funeral.   :thumbsup:
The word is that we won't, but there is a sweetener in terms of job security.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #181 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »
Perhaps Martin should have read the OP...

In the midst of a sea of shite, death, boredom and horror, this is a thread for the surprising and unexpected bonuses of the current viral fuckfest. I'll start...

It isnt flippant at all, despite the thread title. It's a thread for noticing change in our lives.

Although you appear to be somewhat abrasive at times, it seems to me that your motive in starting this thread was entirely reasonable.

It is a total fuckfest of a type that used to be confined to distopian fiction. Now it's upon us and forcing changes to all our lives. We have anumber of choices; we can give in and curl up and die, we can bumble towards the conclusion (like HMG), or we can make the best of a very bad job. My incilnstion is towards the last....

rogerzilla

« Reply #182 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »
It seems to be dawning on management that people can actually work from home long term.  Mind you, when we get to next winter, those whose homes are normally empty during the day will flood back to get free heating  :)

« Reply #183 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:22:30 pm »
There's a wanking challenge? I suppose it counts as exercise.
Are points awarded for frequency, volume, distance, speed, or all four?

There's also need to be categories for the different strokes. Why did they postpone the Olympics when we could have simply reverted to 'home sports' like this? I fear some people lack imagination (which you probably need for wanking, either that or a stable high bandwidth broadband connection).

What would the Republikkkans make of the men's doubles?

rogerzilla

« Reply #184 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:35:33 pm »
The tug of war would be spunktacular.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #185 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:38:58 pm »
The Fosbury Flop would probably not be a winning technique.

rogerzilla

« Reply #186 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:53:09 pm »
Sting must have a real chance of winning the marathon.

« Reply #187 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »
Perhaps Martin should have read the OP...

In the midst of a sea of shite, death, boredom and horror, this is a thread for the surprising and unexpected bonuses of the current viral fuckfest. I'll start...

It isnt flippant at all, despite the thread title. It's a thread for noticing change in our lives.

Although you appear to be somewhat abrasive at times.

Why, thankyou. I do try. 

In the spirit of abrasiveness, might I suggest that Martin has Coronabonused himself. Though I understand his point, a superficial reading and it seems ghoulish and making light of the crisis. But it isnt. He got it wrong.

He will come back from his flounce.

He always does.

« Reply #188 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:28:52 pm »
York Ring Road at 06:20:15 this morning.

Even at that early hour it would normally be busy with considerable traffic noise. 

In the afternoon I took a video from the garden panning the clear sky without a single contrail.  There were none all afternoon. 

They could make those films about the olden days with no worries about including the evidence of anachronistic passenger airlines.  Except they aren't allowed to make films, I guess.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #189 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:41:40 pm »
Went for a ride this afternoon, HUUUGE numbers of cyclists out, many looking like they are novices. Runners too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #190 on: 26 March, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
Substantially cleaner air in just three days.

Air pollution levels have dropped since restrictions on movement were put in place, according to data collated by the BBC

In the two Bristol sites analysed, both St Paul’s and Temple Way have recorded significant decreases in nitrogen dioxide levels.

St Paul’s has seen a decrease from 21.5 micrograms per cubic metre in March 2019 to 16.1 during the same eight-day period in 2020.

Temple Way has seen a drop from 45.3 to 29.8 for the same periods.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/coronavirus-live-updates-march-26-2020-stay-inside-and-save-lives/

« Reply #191 on: 26 March, 2020, 10:33:59 pm »
I'm surprised the pollutant reductions aren't more than that, given the dearth of vehicles around.
Rust never sleeps

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #192 on: 26 March, 2020, 10:50:28 pm »
Went for a ride this afternoon, HUUUGE numbers of cyclists out, many looking like they are novices. Runners too.

went to Jolly Nice this afternoon. They could do with some customer, so although I've done a Shhhhh before, all you South Cotswolders - fresh veg, fruit, stuff!

As for cyclists, I'd say in numbers terms, equal to cars. All in lycra though.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #193 on: 26 March, 2020, 10:54:40 pm »
I'm surprised the pollutant reductions aren't more than that, given the dearth of vehicles around.
Nitrogen dioxide is mostly from diesels, isn't it? The buses are still running their normal service here – switching to Sunday service next week – and delivery vans are still driving around in similar numbers, so that could be a factor. Lots of buses go down Temple Way. I'm not sure exactly where in St Paul's that site is so can't say for that one.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #194 on: 27 March, 2020, 06:55:22 am »
I filled up my car last night (prepping for potential redeployment).  Diesel appears to be down 10p a litre from about 2 weeks ago.  Not quite sure if that qualifies as a 'bonus'...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #195 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:11:48 am »
Looked for the ISS last night, and realised that I'd actually seen it several times, just not looked FOR it.  I'd just thought it was AN Other satellite
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #196 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:26:47 am »
Just saw a very sweet slice of quarantine life. Two young lovers in jogging gear in the park, clearly pretending to be doing their exercise for the day so they could steal a moment together. Not ashamed to say I had a slight catch in my throat as I called the police.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #197 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:37:44 am »
Just saw a very sweet slice of quarantine life. Two young lovers in jogging gear in the park, clearly pretending to be doing their exercise for the day so they could steal a moment together. Not ashamed to say I had a slight catch in my throat as I called the police.

;D

Were they called Winston and Julia?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #198 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:36:19 am »
Flatus you sick bastard, I was drinking tea!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #199 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
Maybe Adam and Eve, starting the repopulation
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens