Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858616 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #675 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:09:51 pm »
Rudest plant name ever: https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=3813&fromplants=pl%5Fid%3D3811

I see that and raise you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_impudicus

Botanist John Gerard called it the "pricke mushroom" or "fungus virilis penis effigie" in his General Historie of Plants of 1597, and John Parkinson referred to it as "Hollanders workingtoole" or "phallus hollandicus" in his Theatrum botanicum of 1640.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #676 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:37:33 pm »
Back in the SFW world, not me, but No1Daughter just found out that St Pancras is not, in fact, St Pancreas.
 ;D

« Reply #677 on: 12 September, 2015, 05:11:15 pm »
Back in the SFW world, not me, but No1Daughter just found out that St Pancras is not, in fact, St Pancreas.
 ;D

Huh, well whadya know. I have also learnt a thing  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #678 on: 12 September, 2015, 05:24:02 pm »
When my GPS shows that I am slap bang on the purple line of my pre-planned route but I still can't see the trail that I am supposed to be following then the word 'tunnel' should occur to me before I start cursing Mr Garmin.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #679 on: 13 September, 2015, 01:54:45 am »
That opening a bottle of Fizzy Pop in 30+ degree heat and a mile above sea level is best not done when driving at 70 mph :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #680 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:43:50 am »
That opening a bottle of Fizzy Pop in 30+ degree heat and a mile above sea level is best not done when driving at 70 mph :-\

TPIUWOV ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #681 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:24:51 am »

So, not content with turning a Mustang into a Mudstang, you're doing a number on the interior . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #682 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:39:49 am »

About 10 years ago, on holiday in Austria, I discovered that opening a bottle of pop that had sat on the balcony all night leads to a frozen fountain of pop everywhere!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #683 on: 14 September, 2015, 11:01:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySt9SeZl9s
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #684 on: 15 September, 2015, 05:16:29 am »

So, not content with turning a Mustang into a Mudstang, you're doing a number on the interior . . . ?

Fortunately I had the roof down so was able to hold it at arm's length and spray ID-51 with it instead of myself, the door trims, the headlining, ect. ect.

« Reply #685 on: 15 September, 2015, 12:53:39 pm »

TPIUWOV ;D

I Googled that and Google thought I was looking of TPOWIS (The Power of Women in Spandex)...  ;D

Still haven't worked it out - care to elaborate?

« Reply #686 on: 15 September, 2015, 12:57:07 pm »

TPIUWOV ;D

I Googled that and Google thought I was looking of TPOWIS (The Power of Women in Spandex)...  ;D

This Post Is Useless WithOut Video?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #687 on: 15 September, 2015, 01:38:48 pm »

TPIUWOV ;D

This Post Is Useless WithOut Video?

Wot Spesh said.

« Reply #688 on: 15 September, 2015, 02:26:10 pm »
Yebbut TPOWIS is  :thumbsup:  So, indirectly, thanks! (only joking, I haven't looked... no, honest...!)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #689 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »
That headphones really can get down to 16Hz and below.  Just treated myself to a pair of sennheiser hd380pro, and testing that fact out.  Mrs W asked why that was so important,  so I pointed out that a 32ft organ pipe is 16Hz, and I'm currently proving the point with Daniel Roth on the organ of St  Sulpice.   I think my head is about to dissolve. That is gooooood. They also seem to work well with Gilbert Rowland punishing a harpsichord with the creations of Antonio Soler.  A good purchase,  methinks.
Wombat

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #690 on: 16 September, 2015, 11:05:50 pm »
Cor!  I thought my late, lamented[1] HD25SPs were good, bottoming out at about 25Hz or something.

(TBH, it's the top end I really noticed.  Or did, back in the days when my hearing[2] went higher than about 15kHz.)

[1] Replaced with the now legendary Bose QC15.  Because noise cancellation makes for a better listening experience for 95% of the time I'm using headphones than good sound reproduction.
[2] Audiologically fine.  Because audiologists don't believe there's anything important above above 6kHz.  Don't let an audiologist fettle your bike, especially if it has disc brakes.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #691 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:11:01 am »
That headphones really can get down to 16Hz and below.  Just treated myself to a pair of sennheiser hd380pro, and testing that fact out.  Mrs W asked why that was so important,  so I pointed out that a 32ft organ pipe is 16Hz, and I'm currently proving the point with Daniel Roth on the organ of St  Sulpice.   I think my head is about to dissolve. That is gooooood. They also seem to work well with Gilbert Rowland punishing a harpsichord with the creations of Antonio Soler.  A good purchase,  methinks.

Interesting, I thought that 20Hz was the lower limit of human hearing and anything below that would be heard as separate sounds. I can remember doing an experiment in my early teaching days which supported this figure. Is the sound from a 32' organ pipe a discernible pulsing sound?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #692 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:31:21 am »
Oh, yes, very definitely so.  Sort of farting, pulsing, or in the case of St Sulpice, if you are there in person, a bit like thinking someone has rested the end of a pneumatic drill on your chest and pulled the trigger.  16Hz is a bit odd, but apparently an organ in Sydney has 64ft pipes. What the hell that sounds like I cannot grasp. 8Hz, obviously, but presumably like 16 but half the speed.  i struggle to grasp how we can "hear" the individual pulses, but my knowledge of audio physics is lacking.

I was amused by ther specs of some of these heaphones, top end went up to 32KHz on some of them.  A bit of an academic pint as I won't be lending them to a bat, they're too big, for a start.

I flinched at the harpsichord bits, Gilbert Rowland can be a vicious harsichord thrasher, but the hardness of the attack really came through on these 'phones.  It says they are rated for 108dB.... Hmm, not sure of the wisdom of that.
Wombat

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #693 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »
Oh, yes, very definitely so.  Sort of farting, pulsing, or in the case of St Sulpice, if you are there in person, a bit like thinking someone has rested the end of a pneumatic drill on your chest and pulled the trigger.  16Hz is a bit odd, but apparently an organ in Sydney has 64ft pipes. What the hell that sounds like I cannot grasp. 8Hz, obviously, but presumably like 16 but half the speed.  i struggle to grasp how we can "hear" the individual pulses, but my knowledge of audio physics is lacking.

You seem to get to the point where the cochlea doesn't respond, but you can still feel it through your skin / hairs.  Obviously with headphones that's limited to the ears, while the effect tends to work better on the rest of the body.

I was amused by ther specs of some of these heaphones, top end went up to 32KHz on some of them.  A bit of an academic pint as I won't be lending them to a bat, they're too big, for a start.

I think that's mostly about achieving a decently linear response, rather than it being useful range.  Nyquist limits you to 22kHz on most commercial recordings, anyway.  That said, on a good day in my yoof I could hear 25kHz.

I suppose 32kHz is ideal if you want to play high-sample-rate binaural wildlife recordings to your cat...

It says they are rated for 108dB.... Hmm, not sure of the wisdom of that.

The HD25 can do 114dB (when driven by a sufficiently decent amplifier; the impedance mismatch makes them feeble when fed by the average portable device).  That's loud enough for barakta to hear properly - along with anyone else in the room.

It seems to be a desirable feature amongst certain types of electronic musician, who need monitoring that's audible over the ear-damagingly loud sound they're making.   :hand:

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #694 on: 18 September, 2015, 12:58:23 pm »
I learnt today that when VMWare syncs time between the host and a Virtual machine, it jumps the clock forward if the VM clock is slow but if the VM Clock is fast is RUNS TIME MORE SLOWLY  in the VM until the clocks agree. How cool is that?
It also makes VMWare even more of a spoiler for Inception than ever.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #695 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »
It also makes VMWare even more of a spoiler for Inception than ever.

;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #696 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
That Pete Conrad and Al Bean were stark bollock naked when they jettisoned the LEM from the command module while in Lunar orbit.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #697 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:02:16 am »
That Oregon does not have sales tax, so the price on the label on the shelf is the actual price you actually pay.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #698 on: 23 September, 2015, 11:24:28 pm »
That Owayo shirts say wash at 30oC on the label. Washing my YACF jerseys at 40oC for the last few years doesn't seem to have damaged them :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #699 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:03:16 am »
That Owayo shirts say wash at 30oC on the label. Washing my YACF jerseys at 40oC for the last few years doesn't seem to have damaged them :-\

They're pleasingly resilient, as long as you don't shoulder-barge too many canal bridges in them.   :thumbsup:

I can't help wondering what the accuracy of the average washing machine's temperature control is anyway.  But not to the point of getting covered in irritant bodging a DS18B20 past the seal.  The cynic in me would guess that they run cool in order to fudge the energy consumption rating...   ;)

(I generally work on the principle that if it can't go in the 40C synthetics wash with everything else, then it's far too much effort.)